Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car parts on eBay

Just coming back into the hobby after mostly been inactive for a few years. I thought I would look on eBay for some

parts to refill the parts box.Seems like you can still get some good deals but I can't believe some of the stuff I saw. $14.99 for a hood scoop. Not a resin one but one from a kit. Same for a pair of tail lights. Looks like there are people who take apart a kit and sell the parts piece by piece. If I have to pay that much for a part I might as well spend a few bucks more and buy the whole kit.

No, the seller you found, and I am guessing that seller was PJ-Toys, he is hoping to that he will find people dumb enough to pay his prices, alot of the parts he sells, you can buy an entire kit for the price of some of the parts.

GMS Customs does that too

I see the Lightbars from the 911 Ambulance for $20.oo!!

The bed or cab from the Monogram/Revell Chevy 73-87 Pickups at $15-20.oo too!!

I have a few sellers I deal with. Start bids at $2-5.oo!!

Of course, some go HIGH!!

I've bought many times from GMS Customs. I find his prices to be reasonable. I've bought a half dozen tire combos from him that I would otherwise have to buy complete kits....sometimes of subjects I have no interest in. As for that "P-J" fellow, he has been the subject of scorn often in the forums. What blows my mind is his positive feedback.

Just coming back into the hobby after mostly been inactive for a few years. I thought I would look on eBay for some

parts to refill the parts box.Seems like you can still get some good deals but I can't believe some of the stuff I saw. $14.99 for a hood scoop. Not a resin one but one from a kit. Same for a pair of tail lights. Looks like there are people who take apart a kit and sell the parts piece by piece. If I have to pay that much for a part I might as well spend a few bucks more and buy the whole kit.

if you buy from PJ-toys you can get a kit for his prices. There are deals out there and l save the sellers l buy from. l have bought from GMS Customs before also. if you buy 10 ltems from PJ-toys he charges 4.99 for each ltem no matter what so that factors in the price. Buy 2 items thats 4.99 x2..

My brother and I were talking about this one day. It's not just car models. There's people out there doing the same thing for model railroading old radios,whatever.

We wonder if they do it for tax reasons. At the end of the year,they can claim all this unsold over-priced merchandise on their taxes.

Just a thought. Or like you said-there's always some one willing to pay for it.

It's called 'trolling for suckers'. With eBay not charging for auctions unless you sell, it's good sport for some guys. Take a look at the sellers completed auctions and see how much of it actually sells. It might just be worth trying yourself! :rolleyes:

I also see people with eBay Stores that have complete kits listed at astronomical prices. When you have a store, you only have the "Buy It Now" option, but can have 100s of listings up indefinitely. I see the same thing in my stamp collecting category. Some of the items have been for sale there for years!

Yeah, ol' PJ makes you wonder just how many idiots are out there.

If you're not in a hurry, you can eventually (usually) find whatever part you need in a partially-built, incomplete, or glue-bomb model, for reasonable money. I've found some great deals scrolling through the miscellaneous parts lots, too.

Oh ma goodness!!

When I saw the title of this thread and then started reading some of the comments, I knew right away that it was my old friend PJ Toys up to his old tricks!!! This guy is some piece of work to say the least. In addition to his ridiculous pricing of parts and his "fantastic" feedback (questionable to say the least), what really gets me is his responses to negative feedback. If a buyer has a legitimate complaint, he bashes the buyer and then labels them a "bad buyer"......oh I'm sorry "BaD Byr" and tells other sellers to "beware" of this buyer (who happens to have good feedback) or he just out & out insults them (i.e. "Are you blind"). The bad thing about the parts is that there are things that I would like to buy (a complete T/F engine) but just on principle, I won't buy from someone who treats customers the way he does via his feedback. Oh and like soomeone else said, he won't combine shipping?? Man, I'd really like to me some of his "customers" who think he's the greatest thing since slice bread. I got some really good swamp land that i'd like to sell them. Shakin' my head just thinking about this guy.

Ok, This explains why I was viewing posts with kit parts & complete sprues separate from the rest of the kit & noticing the complete kit is posted in separate pieces and separate auctions from the same seller. Now that seems sneaky & unethical but I guess that goes back to "Buyer beware & free market". A person could pay a pant load more then the entire kit was worth.

Interesting... Thanks for clearing this issue up that I had pondered on for so long.

It's been my experience, that GMS isn't any friendlier than PJ's as far as the feedback goes. Just look at how many people with legitimate complaints he has "banned for life!". He's as bad as a certain couple who recently appeared on Gordon Ramsay's show! :blink:

This guy is totally unreal. About a year ago, I was looking for a set of 1929 Model A stock wheels and tires. I checked ebay and sure enough, there they were by this guy p j. $15.00 + shipping. Whoa, lets see what a whole kite cost. $12.00 tax tags & title delivered to my front door. Needless to say, I spent the $12.00 and now have the stock wheels, another v8 engine I needed for another project, plus a 2nd 1929 roadster that I can build as a rod( I build mostly stock) and I can use a parts box v8 as a replacement engine.

Don't forget to add the $4.99 shipping! But take a closer look. The screw heads don't match. They couldn't have all come from the same kit.

Tom, you wanna trade off some of those screws?

Edited by Draggon

I just love what he wrote here:

BTW FYI:

If you do not like my total price then stick $100 in your gas tank & go see if you can find these vintage VHTF parts anywhere else in your state for cheaper price delivered to your door !!!!!!

I could drive to my local hardware store and by 4 screws that would work as well. No one is going to care if the screws I bought are original...

It's been my experience, that GMS isn't any friendlier than PJ's as far as the feedback goes. Just look at how many people with legitimate complaints he has "banned for life!". He's as bad as a certain couple who recently appeared on Gordon Ramsay's show! :blink:

PJ blocks people if there phone number is not listed on there account. l bought mpc set of tail lights from him and he blocked me after l would not give him my phone number. Ebay allows this guy to do that. l tried every where to get 2 tail lights. l knew after 1 buy he is just out there...

l tried to get 2 taillights from the scale auto where can you get and one member told me to get a red tooth brush at the dollar store and make one. There is noway l could do that without stiches and still no tail lights.... :o

Edited by slusher

A fool and his money soon shall part.

But what i hate is having to wade through all this junk just to look for what you want to see.

I love datsun models. So i have a search for that saved in my moble ebay app. Well over half of the postings are for listings of 8.99 headers. 12.99 mud flaps and nobody buys them and they always get reposted. Now i see 12 new listings and im like wow time to spend some money. I just got siked.

Edited by lanesteele240

I only bought from PJ once, and it was no hassle but then I have my number on my page. What I found was weird, was that he was "on vacation" for a time, and when it was just about time for him to be back, the vacation notice popped up again and the time had been extended. I began to wonder if he was ever there and how he conducted business. I think it boils down to rules by ebay and it's making a lot of sellers uptight.