Model Cars Magazine Forum

1934 Ford Texaco Shop Truck

HI There!!!

Just finished up this VERY SIMPLE build while waiting for paint and putty etc to dry on another more complicated project.... this is the ubiquitous .... "I Found it behind the station up on blocks" truck... I did actually find one like this in 1967...(Loooong story)... this is my rendition of it... a stock build using the kit drop axle and some big and little wide whites from one of the many Revel kits out there...can't recall which one I raided!!!

The approach here was dark red sandable primer (three medium coats on everything).... two coats of Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black...and then after drying...roughing up the surface in various random places with some steel wool and medium and coarse sanding sticks.... a little of the yellow kit plastic shows through but it seems to work....I added the grille from one of the 500+ Revell 32 Fords that seem to have taken up residence in my project room :o) (I am sure you know what I mean!!!) I think those things actually multiply when left to their own devices!!!!!!!!!!!

Picked off some detail here and there with a silver calligraphy pen... nothing to see in the interior as it is bone stock and done in various flat shades of spray and hand painting....

The basic truck....

IMGP1437-vi.png

IMGP1437-vi.jpg

The door handle and logo detail.... made the door handles out of .032 aluminum rod flattened with pliers and mounted on the doors.... much less delicate than the kit parts....

DoorHandle-vi.png

Stock Motor... minimal detail ... it's more about the look here than the flat motor on this one...

SimpleMotor-vi.jpg

This is just the kit decal placed on the door and roughed up with a sanding stick and a black wash to blend it in..this was done AFTER I completed the basic body paint distress work... it just blends in better that way....

TexacoLogoLeft-vi.jpg

Same on this side....

RightSideHigh-vi.jpg

The bed boards are hand painted.... no need for real wood here.... this is just really slight of hand....

The license is a California black plate decal mounted on wine bottle tin.....less than five days to get this result...

This is a favorite kit for the obvious reasons..... hope you enjoy it!!!!

BedRear-vi.jpg

Edited by Duntov