Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mini exotics Shelby

Yes they did and it was a decent kit. I don't know of anyone else offering the same subjects currently. I liked their kits and I wish they were still available.

I have built the 68 Shelby convertible and the 69/70 Shelby convertible. I started the restoration of that old build 70 convertible when Revell announced theirs.

Funny but I don't remember a 67 Shelby conversion from them. I had purchased one from MPB detail products in 89 to 91 time frame.

Mini Exotics had a lot of nice parts and conversions. I am a huge 67 Shelby fan and bought their conversion kit years ago. I know it had a nose, hood, tail light panel, red tail lights, and a photo etch sheet with a grille, tail light frames, and a steering wheel. It makes me wish I would of bought more at the time!!

I bought one of their '67 Shelby conversion kits as well back in the early '90's. For the time, it was VERY well done, and would hold up to today's '67 Shelby kit for accuracy of its parts. I don't know what happened to the one I did.........I believe a friend of mine really liked it, and I sold it to him.

Somewhere lurking in one of my many model boxes is a '68 Shelby Convertible transkit buildup that I did. I believe I built it right around the time of the '67. It I'm sure is in pieces, and I'll do another someday......but base it on a kitbash of the '66 and '68 kits.

Yeah, I wish I could have picked up more of those transkits back then--------along with some other gems they had.

I've kiinda learned the hard way over the years, when it comes to resin kits and parts and trans-kits, buy them if you can when you can because you never know how long they'll be available. I missed a few but managed to get some gems too.

I have the Mini Exotics 67 Shelby conversion kit and the hood and front end doesn't fit the AMT 68 Shelby body.

The hood is 3/32 too skinny and the front end looks like it's about 1/8 too skinny.

Is it possible that they have shrunken over time?

Also, all the headlights and taillights have turned brown.

I don't think the conversion kit was for the 68 Shelby, I think it was for a 68 Mustang fastback kit, but truthfully, it has been so long since I got that kit, over 20 years ago, I forget what kit it fit on. I recall it fitting ok and needing a tiny bit of tweaking but not like you describe Raymond.

I don't think the conversion kit was for the 68 Shelby, I think it was for a 68 Mustang fastback kit, but truthfully, it has been so long since I got that kit, over 20 years ago, I forget what kit it fit on. I recall it fitting ok and needing a tiny bit of tweaking but not like you describe Raymond.

The instruction sheet says to remove side marker lights,Shelby fender emblems,and"Shelby"letters from rear spoiler.

I lost my instructions decades ago :) I do recall test fitting the parts and they all worked ok. The hood on the 67 sticks out in front and meets the nose piece sort of oddly. The real car was that way too, although many of the original cars have been fitted with newer replacement parts that are made better. The original 67 had parts made by numerous LA mom & pop fiberglass shops and was prone to badly warping and overall poor fitment. The 68 fiberglass body parts were made at the same company that made Corvette fiberglass body parts and is much better quality. FWIW, the 67 was the last Shelby Mustang made by Shelby at his facility in LA.

I once nearly bought a 67 that had some resto work done on it but I passed because the owner had the car painted before doing any restoration inside or underneath. I thought that was sort of backwards. It also had a seriously warped trunk lid, which should have been replaced before painting, to me anyway.

The price of $12,500 seemed to high to me. Who'd have guessed that the price of these old cars would be 10-15X more in 30 years.

I actually used the AMT 68 Shelby as the base for my 67 conversion and it all fit very well. This has all got me curious about this conversion so I will have to do some digging through my stored kits and check it out. When the AMT 67 Shelby and Mustang came out I bought up a bunch because of all the kits I have of these cars I consider them the most accurate. You can really just spend a little time doing detail and paint and end up with an awesome model. My dad owned a 67 GT350 that he bought in 68 when he got out of the service. I found some pictures of it when I was a kid and it was all over for me!! I now own several 67-8 Mustangs (plus others...HaHa!!) one of which I am converting into a Shelby. Bill J is right the fiberglass and the finish on these cars was terrible at the time but I still say one of the coolest ever produced!!