Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Corvette Impala

kennb

No...this is not a typo. Many versions of the Corvette were played with in the beginning including one named Impala,,,,,later used on the full sized sedans that took several styling ques from this version.

"Chevrolet came out with this show car, called the Impala. The experimental model used a 5-passenger fiberglass body with the V-8 power plant. It had a 116.5-inch wheelbase and was 202 inches long overall. It was finished in two shades of blue, and had chromed wire wheels with functional knock-off hubs. The bumper and grille were an integral unit, and both front and rear styling resembled the new Corvette."
On July of 1955, the Chevrolet design studio staff create a dream car for the 1956 GM Motorama show, called Corvette Impala. The Corvette grille and grille surround are incorporated, as well as other Corvette components. This hardtop five-passenger sports sedan shows the name "Corvette Impala" on the front emblem and rear license plate. On January 19 of 1956 the Motorama show opens in the Waldorf Astoria in New York City, running for nine days. The 1956 Corvette makes its debut and the Corvette Impala show car is displayed.

Some sources state it was first out in the 57 car show but it was really in 56. After being shown the fate of this model has not been verified but rumors have it that it was scraped, which happened to a lot of the show cars. There was on one produced and it was,like the 2 seat version, fiberglass.

I have requests for 57 corvettes and parts and have some located, just a matter of getting them to me. I am still in need of a 54 Bel Air or 58 Bel Air roof for this. Looking at the photos it looks like I will need to stretch it out in front of the front wheel, the center and the real wheels. I will also have to heighten the body a bit. Nothing beyond my skill set so it should be a rather routine build. If anyone has son recommendations on the wheels please feel free to comment. For this car I will go out and buy the proper wheels or trade for the proper wheels since they are and intrigale part of the overall design. The interior will be corvette all the way since I have no photos of the interior. Again, if anyone has further information on this car please feel free to add it to the thread or PM me.

I will get to this as the parts come in, right now everything is on hold because of the weather. The high humidity does not permit painting and that is where I am on most of my builds right now.

1956_Chevrolet_Impala_Motorama_Experimen

Don't ask me how I know this, but carefully assess using a Corvette as a base. Look closer at modifying (A VERY LOT) an AMT (or Revell '58 Chevy.You'll have the roof already there ,and with your skills, plugging in the necessary cues from the vette should be doable. Good luck! this is on my to do list also if I live long enough!

you do have some valid points but the only part of the 58 that is usable is the rear 3/4's of the roof since the front requires the 59-60 windshield. With 2 57 vettes I can put the entire thing together, I can scratch build the roof if I need to but I would like the roof louver from the 58. I have no information as to the interior or motor, if there was a motor to start with, which from what I can determine there was not one.

I have done a quick mock up using a 55 glue bomb I had in stock from the last collection I bought. I might play with it some more while waiting for the 57's I have coming.

DSCN5715_zps461008b5.jpg

Edited by kennb

Would the wire wheels found inside the AMT/Ertl 1965 Buick Riveria work to replicate these wheels?

I found a piccy,,,looks like they would do great,,,,,,wonder if they would fit the corvette white walls..........................

I been playing with the planning body and getting the concept put together testing different ways of doing things........I tried to use a sprue for part of the molding but after putting it together I think it would be easier to build it up out of sheet stock.

DSCN5716_zps67c0e0cc.jpg

I am going to make a few people mad at me because I want to get something off my chest. I have a trade request for some specific parts for this car and got only comments that this car is not real.

1. I spend months researching existing cars that I build..before you claim I am wrong ,,DO YOUR RESEARCH.

2. When I do make a car that in my imagination I STATE THAT FACT.

3. If you think you have information I don't have or I am wrong point me in the right direction. DON'T JUST SAY I AM WRONG,,,,,,,,,,PROVE IT. :angry:

I point this out because I am going to have some more builds or prototypes and concept cars that there are no kits for and were never production cars. So before you say I am all wet do your research BEFORE and make yourself look silly and start to make critical comments as to their authenticity. :angry:

Now that this is out of the way I will not respond to anyone that says what I am doing on prototypes and concept cars is incorrect or they do not or did not exist, unless it concerns the correctness of the build.

With this said I am progressing on the cutting schedule for the bodies when I get them in. :) The Planning model shown above is wrong and needs some adjustment so the roof . side windows, and door are correct. The door on the Impala is wider than the Corvette by about 6". Planning is going to be the key to the success of this model before i cut into the new bodies. I have several bodies on the way and the front windshield on the way. Still trying to get a 58 Bel Air for the donor roof. Also some Buick or jag wires. (see my trade request). :rolleyes:

Hey kennb, don't know how far along you are with this, but you might save some time if you can lay your hands on one of these kits. Looks like the Impala styling was influential to the guys at Cadillac!

The kit is 1/24 scale, from Imex or Arii (shared tooling).

post-8480-0-16043200-1377917626_thumb.jp

post-8480-0-77215100-1377917637_thumb.jp

The windshield area looks like a 59 Chevy, the wheels are not Dayton wires, more like Borrani's. You might look at the photo etched wire wheels made to fit a 57 Ferrari 250TR, they were not real deep and they were true knock off hubs also. I haven't seen any older Jag wheels in photo etch, at least not lately. One other options would be Herb Deeks Borrani centers that are photo etched. Herb still sells on eBay.

Cool looking car you want to build there.

Hey kennb, don't know how far along you are with this, but you might save some time if you can lay your hands on one of these kits. Looks like the Impala styling was influential to the guys at Cadillac!

The kit is 1/24 scale, from Imex or Arii (shared tooling).

That is a very good possibility and one I did not think of. Since GM apparently worked on all the cars in the same studio there are a lot of similarities within the entire line. The cross pollination between lines was very evident suring the 50's.

I do have parts coming from all over the US and Canada at this point to work on this car. Others may be needed or wanted for this project and up coming project that fall within this series that I am planning. The Cadillac is one I will be looking for also but the one you pointed out could work in this specific car also. It is, at this point, a wait and see. I will be posting want lists in the future for this projrct and others.

Thank you for the input to you and all those to date that have given me ideas, information and parts.

The windshield area looks like a 59 Chevy, the wheels are not Dayton wires, more like Borrani's. You might look at the photo etched wire wheels made to fit a 57 Ferrari 250TR, they were not real deep and they were true knock off hubs also. I haven't seen any older Jag wheels in photo etch, at least not lately. One other options would be Herb Deeks Borrani centers that are photo etched. Herb still sells on eBay.

Cool looking car you want to build there.

I have some wires on the way that I think will work but will keep these in mind if they trun out to be the wrong type or look,, they are, of course, the knock off hubs. thank you for the information. it is all appreciated.

I will be starting this up in detail starting next week as the parts start rolling in. hopefully I have enough coming for this project. Time will tell. -_-

Edited by kennb