Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa '58 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa!!!!!

larrygre

Absolutely!! I'm dying to see a nicely done '63 250 GT Lusso! Maybe even a well done '60-'61 250 GT SWB!

2dvv9d0.jpg

i have always wanted a model of that car!

"The 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California ('oh yeah'). Less than a 100 were made, my father spent 3 years restoring this car, it is his love, it is his passion."

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage"

:D

"The 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California ('oh yeah'). Less than a 100 were made, my father spent 3 years restoring this car, it is his love, it is his passion."

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage"

"And I must admit, driving it, it so choice. If you have the means, I highly recomend picking one up" :lol:

Absolutely!! I'm dying to see a nicely done '63 250 GT Lusso! Maybe even a well done '60-'61 250 GT SWB!

There's some great subects out there for Hasegawa to go after in addition to those: 166 MM Barchetta, 250LM (would obsolete the Academy kit), Porsche 550 Spyder, COBRA DAYTONA COUPE(!!!), 289 Cobra roadster, Pantera...

There's some great subects out there for Hasegawa to go after in addition to those: 166 MM Barchetta, 250LM (would obsolete the Academy kit), Porsche 550 Spyder, COBRA DAYTONA COUPE(!!!), 289 Cobra roadster, Pantera...

Hmmm.............I got that strange feeling that we'll be seeing a Daytona Coupe before long.............It's too popular to be ignored now for much longer. :lol:

In fact of course, it'll probably happen because I spent big bucks on Harold Bradford's excellent resin kit, so a plastic one is bound to come out now. ;)

Geez Brian aren't we greedy!! :lol:

I have the same wishes and dreamds too!!!

"And I must admit, driving it, it so choice. If you have the means, I highly recomend picking one up" :lol:

:lol:

I love that movie and the Ferrari ya wanna know an interesting bit of movie trivia. when McG the director of Charlie's Angels and the sequel was getting ready to do part 2 he wanted to have the 250 GT California but when he found out the car in the movie was a replica he tracked down a REAL 1.5 million dollar one for the movie it was used in a scene when one of the angels was chasing along side a bad guy on a luge board. the director was VERY worried the car would get scratched or dinged up during the filming. also that movie was the first time anybody saw the ENZO as it was used to film the movie and then it was shipped off to be debuted at a auto show (Demi Moore was one of the first people and the first woman to drive the car! :o ).

I don't mean to rain on your guys' antique parade, but I'd really like to see Hasegawa/Tamiya or Fujimi punch out a McLaren F1 road car.

Although I do like Bill Geary's choice's as well. I'm just more into modern exotics at this time.

As great as the Hasegawa 250TR looks, I'm passing on it. The car does nothing for me. Although I know the importance of this car to Ferrari, *gulp* I don't care for the lines at all.

Maybe I need to see a real one to appreciate it much better as the 2D pictures I see just do not flatter it at all.

And hey, that's just my opinion. I really look forward to seeing some stellar builds out of here.

Chris

I don't mean to rain on your guys' antique parade, but I'd really like to see Hasegawa/Tamiya or Fujimi punch out a McLaren F1 road car.

Although I do like Bill Geary's choice's as well. I'm just more into modern exotics at this time.

As great as the Hasegawa 250TR looks, I'm passing on it. The car does nothing for me. Although I know the importance of this car to Ferrari, *gulp* I don't care for the lines at all.

Maybe I need to see a real one to appreciate it much better as the 2D pictures I see just do not flatter it at all.

And hey, that's just my opinion. I really look forward to seeing some stellar builds out of here.

Chris

I hear you! I don't find the TR to be particularly attractive and it's far from my favorite Ferrari, but I am wanting to build it, and have at least one on the way. I'd jump on a new McLaren F1 like there was no tomorrow! There are a lot of exotics not kitted that I'd like to see, and many other vintage Ferraris that I like much better than the TR. I saw the kit today @ Brian V's and it looked good, but the body wasn't as crisp as their newish 240Z, which gives any Tamiya kit a run for the money. The wire wheels in the TR are nice; they're see-through and when stripped/painted and black-washed should look great. Not sure if the P/E will look any better, I'm picky when the spokes look a bit flat.

...but I'd really like to see Hasegawa/Tamiya or Fujimi punch out a McLaren F1 road car...

Can't argue with that, and I'd add a Jaguar XK8/XKR (before they got the NASCAR Taurus nose) or it's AstonMartin sibling, Lotus Elise and the new Nissan GTR.

Well my kits showed up on Saturday along with the photo-etch wheels. On inspection of the kit I believe we may be in for some different versions of this kit. It comes with a decal sheet that has the number 14's from Phil Hill's winning factory version that was a very different bocy style. It had strait side fenders and a different hood. There are also other racing numbers that I can't identify right now.

1958_ferrari_250tr_real-vi.jpg

There are extra headlights that would be used in the grill for other racing versions. Based on how well this initial run has gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see the factory body style in the future.

As far as the photo-etch wheels, they are very nice. I scuffed the etch and assembled all four in less than 2 hours. To be correct you should paint them silver but they look nice this way too. Be sure to at least scuff the etchings with 600 grit prior to assembly. The kit wheels are nice but these are really much nicer. I can see them going on some other vintage models too.

Here are the kit wheels and the PE wheels:

P3170210-vi.jpg

The tires should have Englebert lettering. The only ones I have are on this sheet by Speedline.

P3180219-vi.jpg

I also looked into my reference books and found the car to go with the "102" decals. It's the third place car from the 1958 Targa Florio with Wolfgang Von Tripps and Mike Hawthorn at the wheel.

P3170208-vi.jpg

Edited by JHDrew

Yep, received my example this week. What I instantly liked is the way they engineered the seperate 'undercut' side panels - they follow 'natural' seperation lines around the doors. Neat. What I don't understand is that they didn't provide any information about decal placement. Which car am I actually building?

Can't argue with that, and I'd add a Jaguar XK8/XKR (before they got the NASCAR Taurus nose) or it's AstonMartin sibling, Lotus Elise and the new Nissan GTR.

Ya, I'd love to see all of those..there are so many modern subjects I'd love to see kitted in 1:24th. Others I'd love to see incl. the Bugatti Veyron, Bentley Continental GT, various current Mercs (SL AMG, CLK, CLS,S-class, CL), BMWs (M3,M5,M6), and Audis..(S4,S5,S8,TT).

Definitely many vintage subjects I'd also love to see kitted as well...Ferrari Lusso, reissues of various Italeri Ferraris like the 250 California, early '50s Bentley Continental, late '60s Jag XJ6, late '60s Rolls Royce Corniche conv., etc...

Edited by Rob Hall

• 3 weeks later...

From the "better late than never" file: I finally got my 250TR kit today - woohoo!!

If I had to pick anything to gripe on, it would be the black plastic, and lack of information on the included decals. That's it. The body looks really well done, the wheels are surprisingly nice, especially for a one-piece mold. There is nearly zero flash on the trees, the clear parts looks really nice, and the tires are nice. The wire wheels would have been an absolute knockout of they were done in three pieces like Fujimi did the Borranis in the 365 Daytona Spyder kit, but that's more of a "what if" than a gripe. The Miura kit was pretty decent, but Hasegawa has stepped it up a bit for this Ferrari. I can't wait to see what they have coming out next!!

And how would one find KA Models? Ir there a website where this can be ordered? TIA

Dave

Mediamix Hobbies from Singapore has them for $77/US, they have great service, and Strada Sports here in the US should get them as well.

Mediamix Parts

You can get them out of the Japanese dist. Hiroboy, HLJ ect. for about $109.00 USD

HLJ doesn't carry KA, and Hiroboy's site is down for the weekend.

Thanks for answering Bob. Dave, as Bob said you can get it from Mediamix. I didn't order the delux set, just the PE, exhausts and air horns. I didn't want the wheel set as I got the Hasegawa wheel set.

You could also wait for Kevin at Strada Sports to get them in and order from him.

Both Kevin and MediaMix have excellent customer service.

PM me if you want more information.

Talk about a mainstream plastic kit 50 years overdue (at this rate, maybe we'll get our McLaren F1 in 2044)! Here's hoping Hasegawa has many more 250 variants up its sleeve - and we could still use a really good GTO.

Absolutely the baddest international release in plastic this year. The only thing I can see knocking it off its perch is Tamiya coming out of the blue with the new Nissan GTR (and not a 350Z-style half-a$$, thank you very much)...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis