Model Cars Magazine Forum

How good is John Teresi?

Pretty darn good when you consider this....

Take a look at this the small copy of this historic drag racing moment for sale. I saw this in a Hot Rod Gifts catalogue that came in the mail.

Hopefully, this is not against the rules to post since the pic looks to be one that has been posted here before. If so, please delete.

Scott

garlitspic-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Scott Colmer

Well, he's good enough for the girls he goes with ...

But I don't understand the connection. John built an amazing plastic replica of the accident and I believe he used the same photograph for reference that the wall sign uses ... if that's your point.

B)

Hello........I did contact the guy that was selling the wall poster on Ebay last year........I told him that was a model I built and that was my photograph that I took of my model........all I asked him was to please let me have one poster........but,he gave me the run around and said he got them from somebody in Canada.........oh well.

Sorry for being cryptic on this one. I noticed that nowhere in the ad did it say this was a photo of a model. To me, it seemed the ad was representing Johns work as a pic of the actual event. If I did not know about this model I might have believed it. That does say a lot about John's work.

As far as John getting royalties, I wondered, but thought he was. Bummer because he deserves them. His model, his photography.

Scott

If John wants to pursue this issue and has the original photos/files then I wish him the best on this, most good artists get rewarded for their masterpieces.

If he doesn't want to pursue this then we should just drop this thread.

Yes Mr. Teresi is a great builder. I always enjoy seeing his work.

A couple of years ago someone made this steampunk artwork poster using an image of my steampunk car.

strp-vi.png

I was never asked for permission. It was done by someone overseas (not in the USA).

And they were for sale for a about one dollar.

It did not bother me. And if anything I was a little insulted by the low price... LOL

John's work in my humble opinion is truly amazing as are many others on this site. John, as Harry has pointed out I would be talking to your father to see what could be done about the infringement. I wonder where in Canada he is getting them from. I live east of Toronto and have never seen them for sale around here. Steve

Canada has a reciprocal copyright agreement with the US, a similar definition of 'fair use' (as was discussed on another thread) and both the US and Canada are members of the Berne Convention, which further provides for international, reciprocal copyright protection.

Whoever is making the copies is in violation of the copyright.

Whoever is advertising them and whoever is selling them is in violation as well...everyone involved.

John's ownership of the copyright exists whether he's ever completed the filing of the paperwork or not, unless he's signed it over to someone else.

If he can prove the work is his, which he obviously can, he should contact his local FBI field office ASAP and report the crime. This IS a criminal matter. The FBI has an Intellectual Propety Program, a section of the Financial Institution Fraud Unit, that goes after this stuff.

He should also register the work immediately with the copyright office, if he's not already done so. It's just filling out some simple paperwork.

Then, he should contact an attorney.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yes Mr. Teresi is a great builder. I always enjoy seeing his work.

A couple of years ago someone made this steampunk artwork poster using an image of my steampunk car.

strp-vi.png

I was never asked for permission. It was done by someone overseas (not in the USA).

And they were for sale for a about one dollar.

It did not bother me. And if anything I was a little insulted by the low price... LOL

Jim, a perfect thing to do would be to print up copies of this same poster and start selling it, and of course, ask for more money.

Tit for tat, that's what I say.

Since this thread has morphed into a copyright discussion, I can see merging it with the thread mentioned above.

Dropping it? I disagree. Not all of us reach the level where our pics can be stolen and resold, but all of us should be aware of the possibility.

Scott

Scott, I agree, this is a worthwhile (and current) topic of conversation.

Hello.......thanks guys for all the input.........I really want to just let this go..........my father has had thousands of lawsuits........I for one don`t want to be involved with one...........someone is making a little money without my blessing........I am glad for them,,,,,,,,, but,at the same time all they had to do was ask and give me a little credit with my name on it.............I was very proud of that "Garlit`s" build........ it was built about 4 years ago when I first started building........the joy I got out of it is when I took the 8x12 color photo to the 50 year NHRA reunion at Pomona and had Garlit`s autograph it..........he looked at it for a long few seconds and said to me "Ther was never a color photo of this accident"?........well, he was so amazed when I told him that it was a photo of the model I built.........so instead of giving him the model I gave him a color 8x12 photo of the crash........he said I made his day...........that was good day for me :) ...........I feel that I have improved my modeling skills ever since I joined the MCM forum and learned allot from all the talented builders on the site.........I consider my builds now days very sentimental........so,if it happens again I will probably put up a fight..........thanks

2004_0101Image0083.jpg