Model Cars Magazine Forum

California Charger F.E.D. update

Truely amazing detail. I can't believe this is your first attempt at lathe work on your builds. Imagine how good you'll be when you get some experience. LOL

Brad.. yea these are my first attempts believe it or not, guess I have all ways had a knack for working with metal, have done alot of fabricating on 1/1 cars hot rods, musclecars, love to TRY to fabricate anything I can, allways thought it would be cool to play with a lathe, and it is!! LOL thanks for checkin on the progress! oh and I ordered a mill today!! cant wait to get it , maybe that will help my redneck machining a little!

Nice work---as a side note, I understand that the original car is now under going some frame restorgation---I don't know if its for the Cackle Fests or a museum

Jerry Clayton

PS---keep up the good work!!!!

WOW!! Mr, Clayton, it is certainly an honer for you to look at my progress, the Charger has all ways been one of my favorite cars growing up, it truely is one of the most beautiful cars ever made in my book, there are very few pictures of this car that I can find, I have often wondered where it was and what happened to it, I knew it had to be out there some where, I would love nothing more than to stand beside it and look at it! especially now that I am trying to replicate every detail, thats hard to do with out pictures of every square inch of it, but I'm doing the best I can with what I have, I can't wait to see it completed , tryin to do all the Charger fans proud and keep this piece of history alive, thanks so much for looking and keep us informed on where we can see this incredible machine once again,

P.S. if you know where to find more reference pics I would greatly appreciate the feed back! thank you again!

Bill

I'll try to get you some pics uploaded--it may take a day or two--also Chuck Johnson , over on Drag Racers Inc has several that he just posted 2 or 3 weeks ago of the car with out any body panels mounted--

On this site Old Coyote also has several and he has shared them with many--

The work you are doing is excellent and I want to say right up front that anything I say about it is to assist your project, not in any way take any thing away from your dedicated efforts----

The notch in the cowl piece just behind the motor plate wasn't on our car---that was from Tony Nancy's car---Revell did some duplicates between these two cars ---they asked us if that would be OK as they couldn't justify building two cars (dragsters) that was so similar in some respects----

The Snowman and Revolution(Whipple & McCullough), and the 2 dragsters were as I understood it the launch of a new scale 1/16, to show detail better and they were very nervous about the acceptance of a new scale from the model builders---

More later, need breakfast--

Jerry

pit photos are hard to find it seems....funny, because those are the ones I always took....I love pit photos, but I love the machines as much as the speed and noise....I have a few of the FED, as well as the RED and the different FC's.....I've looked, and only one is partially without body panels..don't get excited lol...it's not so revealing....that's the best i can do....shoot me your email and I'll send what I have

make that four photos with a view to the frame, three not so good, and one, though a small photo, is the charger at lions before it had the body from the engine forward, so basically, the charger in it's shorty aero form....

and one very clear shot of the barrel valve and fuel line plumbing on the "passenger side"

not that seeing the one's the "man" hisself can bring to the party....

if anyone does get a hold of those photos Mr Clayton is speaking of, do share, please :)

Edited by rckymtn3

Wow, Bill; there is absolutely nothing better when you're building a replica than to have one of the principles drop in for a look-see. The job you are doing deserves it, though.

I saw some of these parts at our local KC Slammers club meeting earlier this week and it was like looking at fine jewelry.

I cannot compliment you enough on the workmanship.

post-9560-0-45394600-1331429541_thumb.jppost-9560-0-25349600-1331429543_thumb.jp

Well, I thought these two went pretty easy so I scanned 18 other pic s that showed some pretty decent details--then somehow lost all of them--if I run across them later I'll post them, otherwise in a day or two--

News item--its official--California Charger is on the way to Don Long's shop for restoration work--

Edited by jerry clayton

Jerry I really appreciate your help on this, these two pics here have more details than anything I have been able to find, sorry I didn't respond sooner our computer imploded, had to buy a new one, just got up and running, great news on the restoration, keep us informed on the situation if you would, thanks again!

I would even be interested in some pics of the hauler and the front of the building in which it was built and kept in, thinking of doing something like that as a display at shows if I had something to go by

Edited by vintagedragfan

I seem to have used up all my space????

Any ideas??

OK---I deleted a couple of run pics from Bakersfied that showed the front of the car but kinda at a distance and added 2 of the cockpit area that were up close and pretty well detailed--hope it helps--

I did leave the two that had girls---Linda Vaugn in the one from the track and a girl from Amarillo Texas that I don't remember her name-----

Edited by jerry clayton

oh that's awesome! I am absolutely LOVING this! I'll let soemone else suggest a fix on upload space....I think most of the folks here start a profile on one of the free third-party photo sites like -

http://www.flickr.com

or

http://photobucket.com

the regulars here might be able to better help with that (how they post their photos from their free sites above, to internet posts and blogs like this one here)

if you start a profile on one of those sites, you can steer all requests towards that site....I've seen where you have spent a good amount of time fielding questions and providing help to many modelers on other sites as well....might save you some time....

either way, please don't stop! having you here helping out a build is just too cool, and the photos are absolutely fantastic!

you are a true gentleman to provide all of the help!

thank you from all of us.

Nice work---as a side note, I understand that the original car is now under going some frame restorgation---I don't know if its for the Cackle Fests or a museum

Jerry Clayton

PS---keep up the good work!!!!

Jerry,

Thanks for coming over. Your contributions greatly appreciated by all of us-especially the builder.

'Chas' from Club Cobra.

Jerry - if you're interested, some of us have collected photos of your dragster, photos you may not have seen....if you have an interest, I am sure we would be happy to send them or post them for you. Hard to pick a favorite from the ones you've posted, but the one with you guys on the track with Linda I think is my fav...just looks cool..