Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Germany 1/24 Ferrari 250GTO for 2013

larrygre

I don't think it's a new tool either... just a reissue of their old kit, which is still available on ebay and various other places, BTW. Besides, I wouldn't get too excited about the reissue just yet either.

In the beginning of 2012 they announced a reissue of the old Italeri tool 250 SWB (a much rarer model kit than the GTO) scheduled for summer, but several months later, without explanation, the announcement was withdrawn and the kit was never released :(

I don't think it's a new tool either... just a reissue of their old kit, which is still available on ebay and various other places, BTW. Besides, I wouldn't get too excited about the reissue just yet either.

In the beginning of 2012 they announced a reissue of the old Italeri tool 250 SWB (a much rarer model kit than the GTO) scheduled for summer, but several months later, without explanation, the announcement was withdrawn and the kit was never released :(

"Their old kit"? They never had their own kit, unless you refer to the old and best forgotten ex-Aurora caricature. The kit issued by RoG two years or so ago was only a rebox of the old Protar tool now owned by Italeri.

When someone who is in the know tells me "new tool", I tend to believe him. If I am misinformed I will publicly apologize. Fair enough?

As for the SWB, the reason why you never saw the kit is because RoG and Italeri could not come to terms on a price for the run. When such things happen, you don't always get the benefit of a press release or some kind of public statement. The reason I know is, I ASKED. Then again, its my job to. Ask my boss.

"Their old kit"? They never had their own kit, unless you refer to the old and best forgotten ex-Aurora caricature. The kit issued by RoG two years or so ago was only a rebox of the old Protar tool now owned by Italeri.

When someone who is in the know tells me "new tool", I tend to believe him. If I am misinformed I will publicly apologize. Fair enough?

As for the SWB, the reason why you never saw the kit is because RoG and Italeri could not come to terms on a price for the run. When such things happen, you don't always get the benefit of a press release or some kind of public statement. The reason I know is, I ASKED. Then again, its my job to. Ask my boss.

This is the box I was referring to:

http://www.model-mania.uk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2695

By "their kit", I meant their boxing of this kit. I apologize about the misunderstanding and thanks for the info on the SWB. Any further info as to whether there is a chance we ever will see it released?

As for the GTO new tool, I reserve the right to remain skeptical until I see it on the shelves. It certainly would be great!

Kind regards,

MATIJA

Edited by PowerPlant

larrygre seems to have the right attitude. I am constantly amazed on this forum topic about how many pages a thread can run with one uninformed opinion after another regarding a kit that has yet to see the light of day.

That's why they're called "opinions"... last time I checked, they were still allowed on this forum ;)

This is the box I was referring to:

http://www.model-mania.uk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2695

By "their kit", I meant their boxing of this kit. I apologize about the misunderstanding and thanks for the info on the SWB. Any further info as to whether there is a chance we ever will see it released?

As for the GTO new tool, I reserve the right to remain skeptical until I see it on the shelves. It certainly would be great!

Kind regards,

MATIJA

I certainly hope so. The SWB was a fine kit, and it would be great to have it back. The same goes for the 275GTB/4 twins, which IMO were among the best of Italeri's car kits.

Again, it depends on whether or not Revell Germany and Italeri can come to a mutually acceptable deal on the price for bagged shots. Italeri may be asking too much, in Revell's eyes. On the other hand, Ferrari licensing may be part of the stumbling block here, as RoG would have to pay the royalties, and those on top of Italeri's price for the run may just not be cost-effective for them.

The kit you linked to is indeed the ex-Protar 250GTO. Not a bad kit, and Italeri's wasn't a bad kit either.

I have now heard two different stories on the new announced RoG GTO: one was that its a new state-of-the-art tool, the other is that RoG is buying bagged shots of ITALERI's (not Protar's) GTO. Then again, they could be buying bagged shots from Fujimi or Gunze for that matter! Now *I* am skeptical too. And if being a reissue is indeed the case, I apologize for, as we say here in the USA, "jumping the gun."

In any event, we are graced with a 250 GTO, probably the most famous of all of Ferrari's legendary Gran Turismo coupes. Perhaps one day, as I have been wishing for nearly 30 or so years, we might live long enough to see one of our esteemed model companies grace us with a proper 1/24 scale 250GT Berlinetta Lusso???????

I sure hope so!

Edited by larrygre

Once again, thanks for all the info.

I do have the Esci-Ertl SWB but that one is all wrong on so many levels, and an Italeri re-pop sure would have been nice :(

Anyhow, let's hope we do see some of these older Ferrari cars on the market again... Reissues or new tools, doesn't matter to me, as long as they're available.

Edited by PowerPlant

Perhaps one day, as I have been wishing for nearly 30 or so years, we might live long enough to see one of our esteemed model companies grace us with a proper 1/24 scale 250GT Berlinetta Lusso???????

I sure hope so!

Ohhhhh that would make my year if I could have an inexpensive kit of one of those! One of my all time favorite Ferrari's!

Maybe if we wish hard enough, we could get a 330 LMB out of that one too?? :wub:

Ohhhhh that would make my year if I could have an inexpensive kit of one of those! One of my all time favorite Ferrari's!

Maybe if we wish hard enough, we could get a 330 LMB out of that one too?? :wub:

Double that. I have a resin Lusso that needs a donor kit, but it would be SUPER :D:D:D to have a plastic Lusso in 1/24

That's why they're called "opinions"... last time I checked, they were still allowed on this forum ;)

I don't know how anyone can form an opinion -- which is a judgment -- based on nothing: no knowledge, no information, no clear subject matter to respond to.

Edited by sjordan2

I don't know how anyone can form an opinion -- which is a judgment -- based on nothing: no knowledge, no information, no clear subject matter to respond to.

Did I pass judgement on anyone? In which part of my post? It certainly was not my intention to do so, but I sincerely apologize if I did. English is not my mother tongue so I might have not expressed myself adequately or appropriately enough, but telling me that I'm just blowing hot steam, so to speak, is borderline offensive on your behalf. And, if I must justify my opinions to you, I would firstly like to point out that I am not twelve years old and I base ALL of them on personal experience, in this case disappointment with Revell's announcement of certain Ferrari kits that never came out in the end. That said, I will refrain from further participation in this topic, and will do my best to proceed in a strictly matter of fact manner in my communications on this forum :rolleyes:

Thank you for your attention and very kind regards from Croatia.

MATIJA

Edited by PowerPlant

Did I pass judgement on anyone? In which part of my post? It certainly was not my intention to do so, but I sincerely apologize if I did. English is not my mother tongue so I might have not expressed myself adequately or appropriately enough, but telling me that I'm just blowing hot steam, so to speak, is borderline offensive on your behalf. And, if I must justify my opinions to you, I would firstly like to point out that I am not twelve years old and I base ALL of them on personal experience, in this case disappointment with Revell's announcement of certain Ferrari kits that never came out in the end. That said, I will refrain from further participation in this topic, and will do my best to proceed in a strictly matter of fact manner in my communications on this forum :rolleyes:

MATIJA

Thank you for your well-described observations.

In any event, we are graced with a 250 GTO, probably the most famous of all of Ferrari's legendary Gran Turismo coupes. Perhaps one day, as I have been wishing for nearly 30 or so years, we might live long enough to see one of our esteemed model companies grace us with a proper 1/24 scale 250GT Berlinetta Lusso???????

I sure hope so!

Larry....AMEN brother, AMEN! Best regards...TIM

Once again, thanks for all the info.

I do have the Esci-Ertl SWB but that one is all wrong on so many levels, and an Italeri re-pop sure would have been nice :(

Anyhow, let's hope we do see some of these older Ferrari cars on the market again... Reissues or new tools, doesn't matter to me, as long as they're available.

You're very welcome. As is very well known about me, I do indeed love "kitology." :)

The ESCI-Ertl SWB was so bad when first released that Ertl took the kit off the market and retooled the body. It was better, but still bad. The shape was actually closer to the rare Scaglietti-bodied Corvette than to a Ferrari 250GT SWB.

Little known fact: the machinations and flawed processes that produced this kit was a key factor in Ertl's decision to liquidate ESCI as an entity, transfer the molds to Dyersville, and reduce ESCI to nothing more than a brand used on kits molded in the USA (later Mexico.)

And I am with you on any Ferrari kit on the market. Hopefully the rest of the Italeri Ferraris will reappear, either in Italeri box or as Revell of Germany.

I know I waxed poetic before on the Lusso...now, wouldn't it be nice to have an injection molded 166 or 212 Barchetta too? A 250 TdF? a tunnelback 1964 250GTO? A 330LMB as Bill G. suggested? Oh yeah!

Double that. I have a resin Lusso that needs a donor kit, but it would be SUPER :D:D:D to have a plastic Lusso in 1/24

Ed Sexton: if you're reading this (and hopefully you are), pass this along to RoG. Put a bug in Volker's ear, so to speak. We need a Lusso.

MATIJA

My best friend in this world, the late John Slivoski, once said to me in conversation "its not about the little plastic cars. Its about the friendships we make along the way BECAUSE of the little plastic cars."

We model car guys are a diverse bunch. We may not agree on politics, religion, food, drink, you name it, but model cars are the great equalizer for us - on that, we find common ground.

Let's not fight here. There's room for opinions. And when the facts contradict, there's nothing more honorable than taking responsibility for the mistake. That's one way we STAY friends.

Matija, please don't be silent. Everyone's voice is valuable.

Larry....AMEN brother, AMEN! Best regards...TIM

Tim, good to see you here again. Happy New Year to you and yours.

See my response to Gerry re: having Ed Sexton put a bug in Volker's ear re the Lusso. Wanna lend a hand in that? :lol:

The Lusso (and a BMW 2002tii) are ideal subjects for RoG, in this writer's not-so-humble opinion!

My best friend in this world, the late John Slivoski, once said to me in conversation "its not about the little plastic cars. Its about the friendships we make along the way BECAUSE of the little plastic cars."

We model car guys are a diverse bunch. We may not agree on politics, religion, food, drink, you name it, but model cars are the great equalizer for us - on that, we find common ground.

Let's not fight here. There's room for opinions. And when the facts contradict, there's nothing more honorable than taking responsibility for the mistake. That's one way we STAY friends.

Matija, please don't be silent. Everyone's voice is valuable.

I agree with every word you wrote :)

In that case, I would also very much like to pitch my humble vote for the Lusso. Heck, I'd buy two at least, along with the SWB and the GTO!

And, since you've gone and done it now, I wholeheartedly support you in rooting for the BMW 2002 as well! :D

Edited by PowerPlant