Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are rally drivers the best in the world?

What series has the best drivers in the world? Here is a video to support my argument that Rallly drivers are the best. Things start to get real interesting about 1:20 into this video. Imagine the concentration and commitment this took, by a man who had his arm partially severed in rally crash just a few years ago. I don't think "Jr." could do this.

Edited by afx

Trying to define "the best" is an effort in futility IMHO, especially with so many different factors involved. What standards are you using to compare what one driver does on gravel in a Citroen Xsara to what someone else does on the track at Talladega, or yet another driver does on the road coarse at Road America in a Formula V car? Different drivers, varying conditions, vehicles of all different sorts, etc.-- way too many variable to compare them objectively, and we're just talking about the drivers. :huh:

I think the IROC series was intended to level the playing field by supplying an identical car to each driver, then letting each driver's skills be the difference maker, but even then, there's no way every single car performed exactly the same, so is the winner really the "best" driver that day?

There are good and poor drivers in every form of vehicular racing, but I don't see any way to fairly and objectively compare each driver who has ever raced.

Jr. as in Dale Jr. or as in Junior Johnson? Dale Jr., you might be right, but looking at some of the sport's old timers, I'd expect some of the old moonshine runners turned stock car racers to give the rally drivers a run for their money. Remember, they were transporting hundreds of pounds of illegal booze in those kinds of conditions while being chased by law enforcement in cars that, while modified, were still basically something you could buy off the dealer lot new or used 50+ years ago. I still have to give it the guys that the modern short course and desert vehicles too, outside of the snow, they run in difficult conditions that would likely trap if not also total a rally car, then run in a huge pack of guys in the same size trucks bumping and banging or out in the desert where you have to watch out for changed courses or fans that aren't smart enough to not park there trucks on the edge of then course.

Jr. as in Dale Jr. or as in Junior Johnson? Dale Jr., you might be right, but looking at some of the sport's old timers, I'd expect some of the old moonshine runners turned stock car racers to give the rally drivers a run for their money. Remember, they were transporting hundreds of pounds of illegal booze in those kinds of conditions while being chased by law enforcement in cars that, while modified, were still basically something you could buy off the dealer lot new or used 50+ years ago. I still have to give it the guys that the modern short course and desert vehicles too, outside of the snow, they run in difficult conditions that would likely trap if not also total a rally car, then run in a huge pack of guys in the same size trucks bumping and banging or out in the desert where you have to watch out for changed courses or fans that aren't smart enough to not park there trucks on the edge of then course.

What he said.

G

Things you never hear a rally driver say:

The track was greasy

There is debris on the track

I hate rain delays

I need to pit for new tires in the middle of the course

This track is too bumpy

You have to love any form of racing that puts hay bales in the middle of the track on purpose and "debris" could be a spectator or another car!

Every form of racing requires a very specialized set of skills. To be the best at it you need to hone those skills to a high degree. If best means driving in the most diverse set of driving conditions then WRC wins hands down. No other racing form requires driving in every weather condition from snow in the frozen mountains of Scandinavia to the deserts or north africa and on every type of road or non-road surface from smooth asphalt to the sands of the ocean . Very few other forms include driving in such hazardous conditions as up mountain roads on dirt with no guard rails and through crowds of idiots intent on moving out of the way of the on coming cars as a test of manhood. The only skilsl I can think of that they don't have to master is passing and dealing with traffic.

Now does that make them the "best" drivers in the world. Well that is subjective but they certainly race in the most diverse race in the world. Heck when they were still running the Dakar from Paris to Dakar they even threw in thieves and warring tribesman shooting at them just to add interest to the whole thing. I can't think of any "sanctioned" race that included that. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who is the best at what they do and WRC drivers and teams certainly have earned my respect.

Edited by Pete J.

Edit: Pete seems to have already voiced my opinion. :)

Surely having to perform consistently on a variety of surfaces and sometimes awful conditions puts rally drivers way up there in terms of ability and split-second decision making, but as others have already said, "best" is a highly subjective term.

Any form of high-level motorsport takes exceptional skill and lotsa cojones, way beyond what the typical person has.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'd say they are probably some of the best. I've been a fan of the WRC for about 20 yrs. The first time I watched it on TV I was hooked, those guys are crazy. Sometimes they hit speeds up to 120mph. Takes some guts to fly past trees, walls,spectators with nothing between them at speeds close to triple digits.

Edited by 58 Impala

I'd say they are.

Even F1 drivers have tried it, and former F1 world champions can't even cut it in Rally.

The difference between Rally and other forms of motorsport is, they get two passes for a course.. and only two.. a scouting pass, and then they race it.. whatever notes their navigator write down is all they have to go off of..

I think the IROC series was intended to level the playing field by supplying an identical car to each driver, then letting each driver's skills be the difference maker, but even then, there's no way every single car performed exactly the same, so is the winner really the "best" driver that day?

IROC started with a good variety of courses but when Nastycar drivers didn't win all the time, they changed the venues to more superspeedways. I lost interest in it at that point. Don't get me wrong, I like and watch the stock cars, if you want to call them that. They could bulldoze Daytona and Talladega IMO, though.

The difference between Rally and other forms of motorsport is, they get two passes for a course.. and only two.. a scouting pass, and then they race it.. whatever notes their navigator write down is all they have to go off of..

Here's a link to a crash Ken Block had. The navigator missed a couple of letters on one word.

I'd say they are.

Even F1 drivers have tried it, and former F1 world champions can't even cut it in Rally.

Robert Kubica is the Polish driver that almost lost his life a few years back in a Rally car, partially severing his arm, along with other injuries. The barrier pierced the car like a can opener...I followed Robert in F1 prior to this crash, he would have been world champion eventually given the right equipment. Fans were hoping for an F1 comeback, but it seems unlikey.

I think an excellent driver like Kubica will find success in ANY form of motor racing they participate in.

There are many skills needed for the different forms of motorsport with emphasis varying according to the form.Some examples-Stock car drivers need stamina and strong neck and shoulder muscles to endure 140 degree heat in the cars wearing what is effectively thermal underwear and high G loads on banked tracks.Drag racers need quick reaction times.Formula 1 drivers need endurance(even for two hour races) because they get to sit in a cockpit that's a cross between a bathtub and a torture chamber(try sitting in your tub for two hours with your legs elevated to faucet level and you about have it)and work the controls.Rally drivers need hand/eye coordination for precise car control at high speed on varying surfaces(large gonads help,too :lol: ).

Edited by ZTony8

There are many skills needed for the different forms of motorsport with emphasis varying according to the form.Some examples-Stock car drivers need stamina and strong neck and shoulder muscles to endure 140 degree heat in the cars wearing what is effectively thermal underwear and high G loads on banked tracks.Drag racers need quick reaction times.Formula 1 drivers need endurance(even for two hour races) because they get to sit in a cockpit that's a cross between a bathtub and a torture chamber(try sitting in your tub for two hours with your legs elevated to faucet level and you about have it)and work the controls.Rally drivers need hand/eye coordination for precise car control at high speed on varying surfaces(large gonads help,too :lol: ).

I'd say that's a really good assessment.

There are so many different types of skills required.

Holding a World of Outlaw Sprint Car on the track cornering on a 1/4 mile track at 120+ Mph takes skill too.. especially since you are doing it between a couple other cars cornering at the same time.

Nope, Sir Stirling Moss is (was) the best in the world. Anyone who can win at Le Mans, win the Coupe d'Or three times in the Alpine Rally and come second in the Monte Carlo, win the Mille Miglia, and miss out on the Formula One World Championship by a point handed over in a sportsmanlike gesture, is the "Complete Driver". The closest anyone's come to that today is Seb Loeb, with any number of WRC championships and several Le Mans wins to his name. There's no point in comparing different driving disciplines and trying to claim one that makes THOSE drivers "the best in the world". The best drivers are the guys who get the best out of the car they're in, on the circuit/course that they are driving, in the competition that they're trying to win, against the conditions that they are driving in on the day... and they do it every time, no matter what "discipline" they are competing in. Those guys are few and far between, but they should be celebrated any time we find one (Moss, (Phil) Hill, (Graham) Hill, Donahue, Lauda, Loeb...)

bestest,

M,

Edited by Matt Bacon

If you want an overall driver as best, Foyt or Andretti, sorry European fans. Dirt , Indy, Daytona , 24 hours of Daytona , 24 Hours of Lemans, , all real world conditions. This was AJ.

Dirt car Champion, 3 years later Formula 1 champion, Indy, Daytona 500, 12 hours of Sebring,Pikes Peak,, real world conditions. Mario.

Of course this is all subjective.

The interesting part of Rally Racing is the use of spectators as guardrails. I guess they don't tear up a car as much as real guardrails.

The pioneers of motor sports were the best drivers. They had to have more skill to drive the cars around the track. The cars today have the best engineering money can buy. Back in the day they had only ideas that were not always safe. I am not saying that todays drivers are not skilled , they go faster than most racing has ever gone before. They just have much better equipment.

Just think of it this way , the first NASCAR guys were driving cars through the hills and mountains at over 90 MPH with mechanical brakes on skinny tires.