Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Ford question

Does anyone know a source for headers for the Revell '57 Ford? I'm not a brass/solder kind of guy, so I'm looking for resin or kit tube headers. I know about the Hedman headers in the AMT '56 Ford, but surely there's something more contemorary out there...

The Y-block engine in the '57 Ford kit has approximately the same exhaust-port spacing as the smallblock Chebby, so that opens up your choices considerably...though there are no "contemporary" headers made specifically for the Y in kit form, far as I know.

One thing about the Y-block though... because of the location of the spark plugs almost directly under the ports, many headers for these engines in reality tend to go up and back to give access.

If you do a google image search of "Ford y-block headers", and compare the pix to an image search of "smallblock Chevy headers" you should get some ideas of what you can get away with to look accurate.

A lot will depend on whether you want to do fenderwell-style gasser headers, or something more streetable that will fit inside the stock aprons, but any kits that have 265 through 350 smallblock-based Chevy engines (not LS) are possible donors.

Bill: thanks for the ideas--I'd already thought about the sbc as a donor, but I haven't started looking yet, and now I have some new directions to think about. My goal for the Ford is a mid 60s boulevard cruiser, so I think I'll try for some inside the rails models, if possible. Also, thanks for your tip (months ago) on searching the forum. It sure makes searching easier and more productive.

Jim