Model Cars Magazine Forum

#1 thing that brings that extra something out of your model

I would have to say my push is paint, and clean windows! They have to be clean and not have a mark on them or fogged up. Then I like the little details that is on normal 1 off cars on making some thing out of nothing that the kit or aftermarket has to offer. Trying to push some thing is what I like to see on peoples models and yes some times it's been done before but some one will have a better way of doing it or making it work better.

speaking of chrome...

the biggest IRK i have with models has to do with how model manufacturers will attach chrome pieces to a parts tree. 99% of the time you have no choice but to cut the part off the chrome tree and it removes the chrome from that one spot, which in turn will stick out like a sore thumb if left alone.

it'd be nice if they attach them to the sprue in more hidden areas.

so i guess another thing i like to do with models, esecially regarding chrome, is stripping it completely and using alclad chrome - it looks more realistic (scale) than kit chrome IMO.

For example I was judging at a show last weekend and this guy had a decent nova but didn't glue the wheels on, needless to say he didn't place.

Why should that penalize a person of placing ? Every Nascar kit Ive built say right in the instructions not to glue the wheels on. They snap directly onto the axle. I dont know if street cars are like this as Ive only ever built one. If the instructions of a kit call not to glue the wheels on why should that penalize a person from placing points at a show ? (Taking notes from this thread for future contests I may enter any of my builds in). Thanks in advance for your detailed answer. Much appreciated.

Okay looking back at post 17 I was a little harsh. I thought I would get plenty of hate mail. I strive for the perfect model just like a lot of you guys but, when it comes to judging someone else's work, not for me. When anyone mentions BMF I become irritated, Having completed only one full model with BMF ever, thinking finally I'm happy with it, next morning, guess what? Not that good. I like to see it perfect and I only know one guy that can do that. He doesn't like to do it any more he told me, it's been six years. Now I will stand behind my comment, Isn't it suppose to be fun? Number one, have fun, and don't always expect to win the big trophy. I've seen guys walk away from a contest angry and dejected because they didn't win, that's obsessive! .........Maybe a little off the subject...........The original question:

#1 thing that brings that extra something out of your model - The perfect paint job.

IMO the number one thing is COLOR! Does it grab you attention? (ask you local LEO about red cars) Is it different? How many red 69 Camaro's, 32 Deuce's. and Italian sports cars does the world really need? Next would be how it is finished. Is the paint smooth? To thick? Do the details show through? does the foil or detail painting look right? Do the details look realistic? And here is another for stance (Ace hit the nail on the head)... RM's newer Shelby Cobra Mustangs make me cringe because the ride height and rolling stock jack up what is essentially a great kit. Those are the things from a glance that draw someone in I think. All the photo etched doo dads in the world are not going to fix poor workmanship and details that are out of fidelity.

I don't do contests, so all I have to do is please me . And I go more for the overall look. So stance is important to me to accruately replicate the 1/1 I'm trying to recreate for my shelf. I usually stay with box stock or pretty close to it. I MIGHT do ignition wiring and maybe some fuel lines but thats about the extent of my detailing list. But i'll work for hours trying to get a funnycar body to sit down over the ft tires, otherwise they just don't 'LOOK ' right.

Workmanship. I strive for this with every model. Starting with the basics moving all the way to the end with that final touch.

Another thing about workmanship is I don't have to like the subject to be able to appreciate what went into it.

Yeah, for me it's a LOT of the above. Definitely research on the vehicle you're working on, to get the details right. Realistic engineering, in that it shouldn't sit ridiculously low, shouldn't be chopped so much that you couldn't see out of the windows, nor should the steering wheel touch the seat. A model should look like, if it was a 1:1 vehicle, it could actually be driven. The workmanship should be neat, and clean throughout the ENTIRE model, chassis, engine compartment, interior and exterior... that includes paint and/or foil work throughout the entire model. I also think that color choices are important, meaning that interior and engine compartment colors should compliment the exterior of the car. Think and plan it out before you just dive in. When I start a build I usually have a mental picture in my mind's eye of what I want the finished model to look like, and then I work to make that vision happen.

For me, one thing that bugs me is mold seams. They will make or break any model in my opinion. I will sit for hours cleaning every single part of mold lines, and getting every part to fit as perfectly as possible. If it's a chrome part, I'll just Alclad it when I'm finished. One thing to always remember is to give yourself room for whatever paint your using, for instance, if it's just a light coat of metalizer, that part will fit good, but if it's paint, or an Alclad finish, that part will grow with every coat, so you will need to keep that in mind, and remove more material before painting.

Scale realism is important to me for my builds: resin ignition coils or CD modules that are closer to the size of tackle boxes in

1:1 look out of place to me- no matter how well they're cast. Vent window posts that haven't been thinned to a more realistic size

also stand out for me.Plug wires that scale out to the size of heater hoses and aftermarket fasteners that are way too big catch my eye. I would never criticize another's build for the presence of these details; I just concentrate on my builds not having them. We

all build to our strengths and tastes and should have fun while doing it and not worry about what others may think...unless you build for shows.

For me it's about taking that strange image I have in my head and building it in 3D. If I look at the model sitting on my workbench and I've achieved that, I'm happy. I do try to make my builds a bit different than I've seen similar vehicles. I like to find a new idea or unusual slant on the subject.

And for me, I weather everything. The degree of weathering depends on the subject and it's age. Even new cars have some dirt on the chassis and minor surface rust on bare parts. Seeing and duplicating that adds to the realism of the model.

A couple of additional thoughts based on some terrific builds I've seen on this forum...

1. Engines and chassis -- use a wide variety of subtle metal shades to differentiate metal components from each other. Here, research is your friend.

2. Many parts of a kit have 1:1 separate pieces molded together. Take a craft knife to lightly score around those separate pieces...

- In the interior, score around handles and armrests, as well as deepening the seams on pleated seats

- In the engine compartment, score around all the stuff that's molded on the firewall, such as hoses, electrical parts, etc., and carefully mask for painting. This visually "lifts" those parts away from the surface behind them and adds precision. There's a very good tip on this forum by Gluhead about opening up door handles, with the same idea in mind --

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71690&page=1

Edited by sjordan2

Okay I have one other one I want to add... filling seams and removal of miold lines and ejection pin marks. Some folks do amazing paint and details work but forget these little basics. Nothing like fully wiring and plumbing the whole car and the oil pan, bellhousing and trans are still split through the middle, or a flawless paint job with mold lines across the c-pillar of the top.