Model Cars Magazine Forum

Used tape for a fabric look on interior.

I thought I would try something I read on here to give the interior a fabric look. I had some medical tape from years back and taped it to the seat and doors to give it a little better look than just painting it.

I taped and trimmed then used a Sharpie to add the silver color. I also used it on the floor board to simulate a low profile carpet.

Made it look a lot better than just paint.

I am just a beginner on models and I think I made it look a little better.

Richard

post-6348-0-82783500-1384348865_thumb.jp

post-6348-0-97707100-1384348893_thumb.jp

post-6348-0-30495000-1384348913_thumb.jp

Looks fantastic. Can you post a pic of the tape you used?

Thanks Jim

It is a tape I had to use for a bandage a few years back and was what I had on hand. It is real thin and doesn't seem to have a pattern to the surface. It went on and stuck real good. Trimmed with a x-acto knife.

I tried it on a piece of plastic before I stuck it on the interior. I have a silver sharpie and after sticking it on, I just added the sharpie to it. I used a toothpick to work the seams in the seat and sides. The floorboard is the same with black sharpie.

This brand is Kendall Tenderskin. I'm sure this or similar is at a drug store or wal-mart.

Richard

post-6348-0-36538400-1384352987_thumb.jp

I am going to try the headliner on a scrapped body I have laying around. I hope my hands and eyes are steady for this. I might make a template out of card stock and get the shape right and then tape it.

Thanks for the good remarks. I have messed with models just a little over the years and it's been at least 20 since I have actually started and finished one. I have quite a few old kits I bought years ago but never built.

Richard

If that's the kind of tape I think it is, it's also called paper tape. I found out the hard way that I'm allergic to either it or the adhesive. I'll have to look thru our medical supplies and see if we have any left. Now, I have a good use for it!!!! GREAT tip Rich!!!!!!

Thanks Matt

It might be called that ( paper tape). It does have a smooth fibre texture to it. I also have some brown color tape that I know is called paper tape. I think the only thing I worry about is how long it will stay stuck without coming loose. Maybe if paint would be applied to it after stuck, it might bond to the primer and stay. I only used a silver and black sharpie. Time will tell. I did like the way it gave a fabric look to the seat, doors and floorboard. I think it would look great on some of the old cars that had the fabric seats.

Richard

The problem with medical tapes is that they are designed to work on skin. As such the adhesive is not designed to last for long. Eventually, the adhesive will dry up and loose it tack and separate. I have had that happen with seatbelts made from medical tape.

For this reason I prefer cheap two ply toilet paper. Separate the plies and drape it over what ever you want to cover and brush it with thinned white glue. That way the adhesive will last as long as the model and you will get a similar effect. I use the cheap toilet paper because it has a little bit of a cross weave pattern that shows up when it is wet. The more expensive ones don't seem to have that pattern. Don't know why, they just do.

The problem with medical tapes is that they are designed to work on skin. As such the adhesive is not designed to last for long. Eventually, the adhesive will dry up and loose it tack and separate. I have had that happen with seatbelts made from medical tape.

For this reason I prefer cheap two ply toilet paper. Separate the plies and drape it over what ever you want to cover and brush it with thinned white glue. That way the adhesive will last as long as the model and you will get a similar effect. I use the cheap toilet paper because it has a little bit of a cross weave pattern that shows up when it is wet. The more expensive ones don't seem to have that pattern. Don't know why, they just do.

Thanks Pete

I'll have to try the toilet paper. I was and still am worried about the seperation time limit with the tape. I'll give it a try and see.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...