Model Cars Magazine Forum

JO-HAN Molds?

What ? hard to find and expensive ??

Heck, , I got these for 45 bucks for the lot last weekend and the Olds and Fury are still sealed. ,, You guys must be mistaken. :D

100_0003-vi.jpg

I have all of those in the stash. I got them all back when Wal Mart had them in every store for $2.88 each. Your stack would have been $15.20 after tax ;)

Ok guys, here goes. This is how it looked in October '92. Me and some other Swedes had been to the Toledo NNL. I met Bud LeFevre in Toledo, and he showed me around. I also visited the Lindberg place, but it was nowhere as interesting as

JO-HAN. I got directions how to find my way to Moran Ave. It was a bit of a rough 'hood, but I made it there.

IMG_4241.jpg

Here's a view inside, as you walked in from the street. Cool display cabinets, eh?

IMG_4242.jpg

Blueprint of a '67 Chevelle. I don't remember the story, if JO-HAN, or Seville was actually going to make it, but as we all know, it never happened. Anyone who knows more about this?

IMG_4246.jpg

One of my favorite kits, and here's the original box art. They were just laying on some shelf.... I told Paul Sabady, who showed me around: "You should have then framed"

IMG_4249.jpg

And finally, some molds....

IMG_4251.jpg

I have more pics, but right now my computer is kinda slow. I'll add more to my photobucket as time goes. You can check it out in a while when I get more pics uploaded.

Edited by Modellpularn

Some more pics; This looks like they had done some test shots, I'm not sure.

IMG_4254.jpg

Ever wonder how they made the two tone paint separation so sharp? With a metal mask like this!

IMG_4257.jpg

And here's the happy painter with a rack of '56 Plymouths!

IMG_4258.jpg

Just some of the builtups.......

IMG_4262.jpg

The pics are now uploaded, I have a bunch more of the paper prints. Maybe I'll add some more..... You're all welcome to check out the JO-HAN pics in my photobucket album. I'm happy you guys liked the pics, as I know there's a great interest in JO-HAN stuff. It's the same over here in Sweden.

Edited by Modellpularn

I wonder if the people that worked for Johan, that commandeered the molds for perceived compensation are proud of themselves? :P

I also wonder why If Okey has the rights to Johans Molds, patents, etc why did he not sue the people that are holding his property hostage...

The whole situation seems like a huge fiasco right from the start. B)

Hans, THANKS SO MUCH for takin the time to post these pics. I, as well as everyone who's seen them appericiate it!

There's a toy show I go to here in Detroit twice a year, an a guy there ALWAYS has those big red plastic boxes with the zig-zaggy type covers, FULL of the plastic sprues,with parts, for the Jo-Han Sox & Martin Cuda, and the 75? Olds Cutlass.

He's got a few Cuda bodies with chassis and interiors,but you gotta buy the glass seperately too! This guys gonna get EVERY cent ol Jo-Han ever owed him!!! B) You can actually build a complete car,except for tires, but it'll cost you ALOT more than the 10 bucks I usually pay from the guy who bags all the parts for you to sell almost complete kits,except for the tires, decals, and instructions, in a zip lock. Go figger? Makes you wonder WHERE these guys got these parts, cause they've ALWAYS got them. At least they've had 'em at the last coupla shows I've been to, an they don't seem to run out, at least they haven't yet! :P;)

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys... Here are my latest 2 acquisitions (2 unbuilt 59 Dodges) & I was hoping someone more knowlegable than me could shed some light as to what I have here? The body on the left is an X/EL re-issue in the same white plastic as all the others I have (although in some of my pix it looks gray). The one on the right appears to have been cast in the same mould due to the injector pin marks, flash lines etc, but although it is the same thickness as the white X/EL, it's a opaque milky white & almost see thru in places?. It's not like the original JoHan promos (I have a few of those as well) & it really has me stumped... It almost looks like an early X/EL prototype where they were trying to get the plastic right before production?. Another curious thing is that the front / rear bumpers & headlights are moulded in a gray plastic & have never been chrome plated. Hopefully someone out there with the good oil on X/ELs will know what it is.recents002.jpgrecents003.jpgrecents004.jpgrecents005.jpg

Glen, seriously , in the waning days of the original Jo- Han company, I saw lots of differences in the way kits came to what was his retail market . You could ask a distributor for something and maybe if you were lucky, actually get something . Same went with Ex- ell too. You got what was in the where house . To me , it was probably the darkest swan song for a model kit company ever written . Ed Shaver

I gotta agree with Ed, Glen, as I too have seen some sorry stuff out there that were ONCE JoHan products. ExCell or watever they were called, and Seville were both shippin junk, mis shots,short shots, vacuformed windows, all kindsa stuff just to keep sellin inventory. Looks like you got something like that. It still looks buildable though, is the body real flimsy/weak? Maybe you could re enforce it with resin or epoxy.

Glen, seriously , in the waning days of the original Jo- Han company, I saw lots of differences in the way kits came to what was his retail market . You could ask a distributor for something and maybe if you were lucky, actually get something . Same went with Ex- ell too. You got what was in the where house . To me , it was probably the darkest swan song for a model kit company ever written . Ed Shaver

Basically, X-EL Products was a brand name used by JoHan from about 1978 on to the end of the original JoHan company. X-EL models were "retro-promo's in the truest sense of the word--old promotional model tooling used to mold new promo's, but in styrene rather than the original acetate (through 1962) or Cycolac. Such long forgotten pieces as 1955-56 Pontiac Star Chiefs, 1957 Oldsmobile 98 Scenicoupe, 1958-60 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special sedans, 1962 Studebaker Lark, 1968 Chrysler Imperial hardtop, 1974/75 Oldsmobile Cutlass Hardtops--those got the retro promo reissue treatment.

Art

is the body real flimsy/weak? Maybe you could re enforce it with resin or epoxy.

The only imperfection I can see is the top 1/4 of the RH quarter window post is a little short shot, but other than that it's fine.. Same thickness as the X/EL, ridgid & durable looking.... Just this weird transparent plastic had me stumped?

In the early to mid 70s I used to go to a hobby shop in the Detroit area called "West Point Hobby" and every so offten an old man would come in with a big cardboard box full of loose Johan parts. There were bodys, interior tubs, bumper & grills ect. there was never enough to make a whole kit. The guy that owned the shop said they were seconds and flawed parts and would sell that stuff by the piece. I bought a '62 Dodge Dart body that was swirlled in red and blue plastic for a dollar.

Looking back on it now- That might have been John Hanley himself that brought those boxs there ?

Since then I have stripped the chrome from a few vintage Johan kits to find the same swirled colored plastic underneath.

Zipper, I'm told, I don't know for certain ole John had to sleep in the office to keep people from pilfering the place in their off hours . I'm also told pay checks bounced too. The swirled plastic would seem to fit the picture I have of the place .

Edited by Eshaver

The use of swirled or half transparent plastic for plated parts is not restricted to Jo-Han and not uncommon. Now please, please take my word for it and don't make me rummage through the entire dungeon until I find my soaked plated parts box to make pics to prove it.

Edited by Junkman