Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Model building going to die off after our Generation goes?

Being a younger builder myself (23) I'll chime in with some points. First, it seems that it's the older crowd who is whining about the prices. "Back in my day, I could get a model for 95 cents and still have change for a candy bar!"

Some of the older crowd seems to whine about everything that is different than back in the day. I think some of them are too stuck on nostalgia and out of touch with today.

Edited by Rob Hall

it also takes exposure to modeling. Unfortunetley due to the reduction of availablity of kits kids these days aren't exposed as much as we used to be. It takes parents getting involved to keep this hobby going. Hence why I wanted to do the "Make and Take" at the car show. Expose a younger genteration to modeling.

Some of the older crowd seems to whine about everything that is different than back in the day. I think some of them are too stuck on nostalgia and out of touch with today.

I always find it interesting when someone posts what they "think".

It's always very revealing.

If being "out of touch" means not knowing or caring about FarceBook or My Space I salute the condition and hope it is permanent and non treatable.

I would perfer this type of social dysfunction as opposed to text-walking, prison haircuts and t-shirts that are a little loose around my socks.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

It's completely natural for people to look back on their youth with nostalgia. Your youth is the part of your life where "anything is possible" and you feel indestructible and on top of the world.

You'll be looking back with nostalgia one day, too. Guaranteed.

It's completely natural for people to look back on their youth with nostalgia. Your youth is the part of your life where "anything is possible" and you feel indestructible and on top of the world.

You'll be looking back with nostalgia one day, too. Guaranteed.

Maybe..for now, I'd rather enjoy the moment and look forward to the future than dwell on the past too much. There is no future in the past...

There is no future in the past...

Not so GrassHopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Future is built on the Past and those who have no knowledge of the Past are doomed to repeat it's mistakes.

Just curious, Is History even a subject in school anymore??????????

Perhaps teaching History is now considered politically incorrect, or it unlawfully infringes on a student's rights.

CadillacPat

DD,

The Prison HairCuts are the widely seen "anti haircut", the "no haircut", the styleless tiny short stubble that looks like a bad wax job.

CadillacPat

Hmm...never heard the term. My head gets that way when I go too long between shaving...it's work to maintain a completely bald head (but looks better than the horseshoe cut or a dreadful combover)..

Edited by Rob Hall

Maybe..for now, I'd rather enjoy the moment and look forward to the future than dwell on the past too much. There is no future in the past...

Right. That's my point... right now you are too young to look back on the past with nostalgia. You still have most of your time on this planet ahead of you.

What I'm saying is, when you get older you will look back nostalgically. It's human nature, it's inevitable. Once you get to the point where you have less time ahead of you than you have behind you, looking back with nostalgia is inevitable. You'll get to that point. I'll get to that point. We will all get to that point. And then you'll have a better understanding of the old geezers here who are "stuck in the past," as you say... because you'll be one of those old geezers yourself!

So don't be so dismissive of the old guys. You're going to be one yourself one day. ;)

Nostalgia really doesn't have a fixed time window.

It can just as easily be the Red Beans and Rice you had on Monday with the Italian Sausage.

All day Tuesday when you burp you can still taste the Italian Sausage and you say,"Boy am I glad I ordered that."

CadillacPat

Guest Johnny

Not so GrassHopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Future is built on the Past and those who have no knowledge of the Past are doomed to repeat it's mistakes.

Just curious, Is History even a subject in school anymore??????????

Perhaps teaching History is now considered politically incorrect, or it unlawfully infringes on a student's rights.

CadillacPat

They have "revised" history now!

here are my 2cents. its not dying, i think it will grow even more and to be honest with you it does have to do with the "social" site facebook. facebook is more than socializing, it's free advertisment as well. didn't MCM just do that??

also, if it was dying, why would there be releases, re-releases or heck newly tooled kits coming out??

heres another one for ya. a friend of mine opened up a page on facebook called "Model Scientists Corp", mostly guys and some gals that build imports go on there, but of course thats all what it's about. its about model cars of all types. now a couple of months ago he opened up his own forum and man, there are hundreds of builders coming out of the woodworks. some that were/are already building or want to start building model cars.

so with that said, NO it's not dying, it's growing sure it's not like it was back in the days, but it will continue to grow.

My only concern with video games and other electronic distractions like on-line gaming, etc . . . is that the individual never experiences the pride that comes from building something from scratch, something in 3-D, like a model, or for that matter, any kind of manual crafts and/or art.

I will repeat what my shrink likes about my building models. Not only is it good for the brain, but it's good for the nerves too. :lol:

I think that right now the hobbie is in better shape then it was ten years ago, there is so much more stuff that we didn't have just not that long ago. I dont think the hobbie will die, but I think that there might be a chance the US kit manufacturers might, and my reason is this. If in twenty years they are still catering to the builders that they are now. If they want to try and get or keep the younger builders, they will need to shift what the era of what gets tooled to more newer stuff.

I dont want to build models of cars that close to fifty years old, lets look at it this way, I could by a Hudson, or a 300, or other new kits that are 40 or more years old, or I could a kit from a Japan company of cars that I know of or can relate to, or heck even like, all for about the same price or within a few dollars.

I have nothing against with nostalgia, but I think people are living in the past and trying to pass it off as nostalgia. Bottom line there are and will be people wanting to build models, the question is ,are they going to be company's around in twenty years making kits?

And before I get hated on, I have nothing wrong with the kits that are being re re re re re re released over and over and over and over again, or the new release', just most of them I have no interest in building them, why because most are on subjects that are older then I am

There is nothing wrong with the model company's focusing on the 50+ builders, its called smart business, seeing how thats where the bulk of the buyers are, but what are they going to do when they are gone?

I grew up on video games, it started with the first Nintendo NES system when it came out, I still play video games now, just only a few a couple of times a month maybe, and I am sorry ,but this whole social media ###### is not going to pull me away from building models. I have facebook, a personal and business twitter accounts, but its not something I want to spend more the 5 minutes on

You know maybe if the model company's here would maybe listen to what the kids would want to build, hmm they might just be able to get them hooked.

Edited by martinfan5

Way back on page 1 someone referenced the train hobby, how it's a billion dollar business. And this is years from when people regularly rode on or even saw trains frequently. I can't tell you the last time I saw a train, most of the tracks around here have been pulled up and turned into bike / snowmachine paths! It's a way to relive a more 'romantic' era, call it nostalgia, wishful thinking, stuck in the past, whatever. As long as someone thinks a 57 Chevy or (insert favorite car here) is cool they'll want a miniature replica. And if they want more than a diecast to buy and display they'll get a kit and build it their way. The hobby has ebbed and flowed over the last 50 years and I think it'll be around in some form long after we're gone.

A couple of things. First: I believe that Revell tried to appeal to the younger builders with the Ford Focus, Honda Civic and Acura Integra kits. I don't believe they did very well. Don't know what to make of it - just putting it out there.

The other thing is in general, the younger crowd aren't as passionate about cars as we were. I mean when I was of age everyone and I mean everyone, boys and girls alike, wanted to learn to drive and wanted a car. Virtually every male was a car nut to some degree. Now I know of whole families where the kids have not learned to drive. They could care less about cars as long as someone has one somewhere to drive them to where they want to go. To them a car is like a stove, an appliance that somebody else uses to serve you.

Now don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of car crazy young people as evidenced by the younger model builders on this board but it's not as pervasive as it was 30 years ago. And this lack of car passion that we had then is bound to affect car modeling now.

A couple of things. First: I believe that Revell tried to appeal to the younger builders with the Ford Focus, Honda Civic and Acura Integra kits. I don't believe they did very well. Don't know what to make of it - just putting it out there.

The other thing is in general, the younger crowd aren't as passionate about cars as we were. I mean when I was of age everyone and I mean everyone, boys and girls alike, wanted to learn to drive and wanted a car. Virtually every male was a car nut to some degree. Now I know of whole families where the kids have not learned to drive. They could care less about cars as long as someone has one somewhere to drive them to where they want to go. To them a car is like a stove, an appliance that somebody else uses to serve you.

Now don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of car crazy young people as evidenced by the younger model builders on this board but it's not as pervasive as it was 30 years ago. And this lack of car passion that we had then is bound to affect car modeling now.

Very true, cars are just appliances now. My father was a car nut, I'm a car nut. My son didn't even get his license until he was 22! Where did I go wrong?? :(

I have to agree with that, the turner series was ok, I bought most of the kits, but those came out to ride the cash cow of the Fast and The Furious movies more then anything, and to compete with AMT's kits of the cars in the movie's , thats just a guess. Not all young people are into turners like the kits, and I think sales were not good because the turner craze started to die down as well.

If you look at all the stuff that is aimed at the younger people, its all geared towards one crowd, which is fine, but why not make them 2n1kits at the same time. But you has the turner crowd, current donk c r a p, and the cali wheels stuff, I dont see those being gear towards the younger builders really

Very true, cars are just appliances now. My father was a car nut, I'm a car nut. My son didn't even get his license until he was 22! Where did I go wrong?? :(

Its this new generation, my girl friends son is 19, and has no desire to drive or care about cars, which really sucks because guess who gets to drive him to and from work ? :angry:

I think the IPMS "Make & Take" program is a fantastic way to get young people involved in our hobby. The kids get to build a Revell Snap-Tite kit for free and they must be accompanied by an adult, so there's a chance to get 2 people hooked on the hobby. Ever been to a MAGS show? They do the same thing and it's fantastic! FAST plans to do a Make & Take at our show in October.

I don't concern myself with whether something will be around in the future. Times change, and with them, so do interests. I just enjoy what is available now, and thank the Plastic Gods that it is available. I do what I can to promote the hobby, and steer clear of any talk or actions that might lead others to thinking that this is a "nowhere bound" hobby. The best way to encourage others to enter the hobby, and therefore, assure a future for it, is to refer to it in a positive manner. I thank the model companies for not giving up on us, and for their renewed vigor, I also thank those that supply forums for us to share our work, which is probably one of the biggest assets in the revival of the hobby. I appreciate those that not only share their models with us, but share the build process, allowing us to learn new techniques.

You see, it takes everybody working together to keep a hobby alive. We have that now. Enjoy it while it's here.

I don't concern myself with whether something will be around in the future. Times change, and with them, so do interests. I just enjoy what is available now, and thank the Plastic Gods that it is available. I do what I can to promote the hobby, and steer clear of any talk or actions that might lead others to thinking that this is a "nowhere bound" hobby. The best way to encourage others to enter the hobby, and therefore, assure a future for it, is to refer to it in a positive manner. I thank the model companies for not giving up on us, and for their renewed vigor, I also thank those that supply forums for us to share our work, which is probably one of the biggest assets in the revival of the hobby. I appreciate those that not only share their models with us, but share the build process, allowing us to learn new techniques.

You see, it takes everybody working together to keep a hobby alive. We have that now. Enjoy it while it's here.

I agree with that as well, but it seems like anytime of talk of tooling up newer subjects ,people whine and complain becuase they think new cars suck and do not deserve to be kitted, so its hard to work together there.

In my honest opinion, and this is not meant as a slam to anyone, but the builders that the US companys are gearing towards, kind of come off as its their hobby, and the kits being made should be what they want, and only what they want. Thats what I kinda get by what I read on here at times.

Its just what I take away at times, I could be wrong, and most of the times I am :lol:

look im 16 and i dont plan on ever letting go of the hobby unless my hands get chopped off. but you all really have to stop whining about the american kit manufactures not releasing the newer cars. they dont issue them because of lack of funds and the older stuff is much better i have built many of their new cars and they had a fair number of issues but the older kits like the 1969 charger is the best fitting car i have ever built even the reissue of the '56 del ray i like that it comes with the two suspension options. on the first page Cobraman said "I myself don't know of any kids or young adults building models. They seem to prefer the video games to building"

I myself just sold my PS3 so i could buy some new kits and an airbrush im in the process of trying to sell my nintendo wii so i can have some extra cash to buy a car or two that ive wanted for a very long time we dont want to hear your whining if you want a new car kit then buy a Tamiya kit and STFU about it. we are here to build the kits and enjoy ourselves not bitch and whine about what will happen when you die, why should you care you will be dead.

thanks

Robert

sorry for the language i used above