Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will GM's problems ever end?

True. But not on a massive scale like this. At least not that I can remember. We're talking nearly fifteen million vehicles so far this year alone!

That's it exactly. Even those "perfect" Japanese cars get recalled every so often, but there's a point where you just have to sit back and ask "are you flippin kidding me???"

Maybe if they changed their name to American Leyland it would bring them better luck.

It's pretty sad about GM. I had high hopes, but it's getting almost comical how bad that company is being ran these days.

Ford on the other hand has been putting out some fantastic looking vehicles the past few years.

The new Explorers and the Ford Edge are absolutely killer looking.

Funny how all these problems have occurred since the govt got involved with them. Just sayin'.........

I don't think the problems are new.. they are just under closer scrutiny now that the government is involved.

The GM recall debocle and lawsuit due to deaths because they DIDN'T issue a recall is what is making them do all these recalls now.. otherwise it would have just been swept under the rug like it had been for who knows how long.

To be fair, the new head honcho (honchess?) Mary Barra is supposedly working to overhaul GM's inept (and apparently downright dangerous) management style... but the question is, how successful will she be, how long will it take to overhaul the operations and management style of a behemoth like GM with an ingrained way of doing things, and how many more recalls before the "New GM" they talk about actually becomes reality and not just a PR slogan?

the big problem with the mega recall is the vehicles that they are recalling are sharing the same defective parts. in the past most vehicles didn't share parts in separate models but G.M. must of been saving money by installing these same parts in multiple models. like Michael said, its because of the lawsuit is why its more scrutinized. no lawsuit, you probably wouldn't even be hearing much about it. look at what Toyota did with the runaway cars. if people didn't die and lawsuits were not happening then it would not of been a big deal. look how long they denied it until fixing the issue.

Only government induced trouble I might see is that GM can't get away with stuff as easily as they once could, be it intended or through incompetence. If Barro is trying to fix GM, I wish her luck, she will likely need it. If it won't be the old guard getting in her way (wonder if the was given the job to be a sacrifical lamb as much as a CEO), regulators, advocats, and lawyers, causing problems, then there's the possible sales losses from this.......even though they are actually trying to fix the things that are going wrong with the vehicles.................

You miss my point, govt. involvement means troubles. Look at our wonderful usps, another govt debacle.

Its clear you really want to blame the Government for GM's problems, but you cant, The Cobalts were having their ignition problems long before the G"ment bailed GM out.

I just got a 06 silverado with 30,000 miles. Two days later the blower stopped working ( have a 05 and two other 06's with same problem,but some speeds still work and they are the crews trucks) as I live in my truck 10 hours a day I looked it up on Internet it is a wide ranging problem with a "special warranty replacement" for 10 years 150,000 miles.

Anyway the blower draws too many amps and shorts the resistor and module. The dealer I took it to yesterday replaced the resistor and module, I smelled burning wires today (same thing ten days ago when it stopped working) so I think it's going to happen again since they really didn't correct the cause which I believe is covered and should've been done.

the big problem with the mega recall...

I could see if the problem was limited to one mega recall.

But it's not one mega recall. Since just the the beginning of the year it's been 24 separate recalls of 35 different models for all sorts of problems, from faulty ignition switches to overheating exhaust systems to bad fuse blocks to seatbelts, to airbags, and on and on and on. The recalls span a large range of GM's model lineup, and the problems are all over the place.

At this point, which GM vehicle hasn't been recalled for one problem or another?

If it's true that GM sales are up despite this huge, ongoing mess, what does that say about the smarts of the American consumer? :blink:

I'm a tech as a profession so I've seen all makes and models and touched a lot of cars. But there's a reason I daily drive a 1990 Toyota supra. I am partial to my imports but I was only driven to that side because of how crappy the "American" cars are built. Half aren't even built in the us. If you want to support American buy a Japanese car. Toyotas, nissans, and Hondas are mostly made here in the us. Excluding a few models from each company (frs, gtr's, nsx etc. because those are flagship models. Doing most maintence items like oil changes now really suck on modern cars. Nothing is easy to fix and there's a computer for everything!

I'm a tech as a profession so I've seen all makes and models and touched a lot of cars. But there's a reason I daily drive a 1990 Toyota supra. I am partial to my imports but I was only driven to that side because of how crappy the "American" cars are built. Half aren't even built in the us. If you want to support American buy a Japanese car. Toyotas, nissans, and Hondas are mostly made here in the us. Excluding a few models from each company (frs, gtr's, nsx etc. because those are flagship models. Doing most maintence items like oil changes now really suck on modern cars. Nothing is easy to fix and there's a computer for everything!

I find it very funny, so many people are "so pro American cars" when so many are not made here, but yet they bad mouth the Non American cars that are built here, by Americans, I know the old argument, well, the all the profits go back to the company's, well duh, thats how business work, but those Global car company's are putting food on the tables of American workers, at time when so many American company's have sent jobs to other parts in the world, but darn those evil foreign car company's.

I proudly drive a Nissan with over 300,000 miles and still going strong, but I have also owned GM's in past,and I have to say, both were POS's and one cost more then I paid for it to keep it running. The one GM product that I owned was a 84 Olds, that was very good car, tell the engine went up in smoke

^My neighbor has that same way of thinking... but weirdly he doesn't seem to mind the Kawasaki engine in his John Deere, or his Honda Rancher ATV, or the fact the Duramax diesel in his beloved GMC is an Isuzu design. I don't know if he knows his Impala was assembled in Canada...

Personally, I don't care who built it, or where- I'm not going to waste my hard earned money on junk. And I don't believe in the "Just because it's made in America/Japan/Germany/Narnia that alone automaticallly makes it superior to all else" school of thought. It has more to do with the manufacturer's dedication to producing a quality product than the country of origin.

^My neighbor has that same way of thinking... but weirdly he doesn't seem to mind the Kawasaki engine in his John Deere, or his Honda Rancher ATV, or the fact the Duramax diesel in his beloved GMC is an Isuzu design. I don't know if he knows his Impala was assembled in Canada...

Personally, I don't care who built it, or where- I'm not going to waste my hard earned money on junk. And I don't believe in the "Just because it's made in America/Japan/Germany/Narnia that alone automaticallly makes it superior to all else" school of thought. It has more to do with the manufacturer's dedication to producing a quality product than the country of origin.

exactly my point. but through my eyes since i can fix cars i want to own and maintain a car thats easy to maintain. idc if the parts are expensive because thats what i use anyway. brand new from the dealer. i don't trust auto zone,advance,car quest or whoever else there is to make good parts because I've gotten BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH parts from them all. i love the technology is my supra. to me its still advanced for its age. and it can keep up with a lot of modern cars ;)

Agreed. I drive a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek that I hear was built in Tennessee. And I love my subie.

I have a ford truck too, but its just for hauling and dump runs now.

You miss my point, govt. involvement means troubles. Look at our wonderful usps, another govt debacle.

I don't really know why anyone would knock the USPS.

I can tell you from a LOT of experience that it is an incredible organization.

I have literally sent thousands of shipments via the USPS over the years, and i think MAYBE one of them was lost. Maybe one, i question it to this day... and the shipping cost of my box is $3.25.

About a month ago, i had a package that needed to go out, and i happened to be at FedEX mailing some packages for the corporation i work for, and thought "hey, i'll just send it FedEX instead of driving to the Post Office". The same box that cost me $3.25 to mail First Class USPS, cost me... ~$12!! and it shipped ground.. even SLOWER then the USPS would have taken.

I'll take the USPS any day of the week over FedEX, unless i need it there tomorrow.

If it's true that GM sales are up despite this huge, ongoing mess, what does that say about the smarts of the American consumer? :blink:

I bet if one manufactures cell phones had 14 million recalls and they all had to be sent back to the factory to be reset.....that company would be out of business the next day........but consumers today are not a smart lot.

Dad has a 1012 FLEX....top of the line. Only issue??? A squirrel ate some of his under hood insulation!!!

It's all wheel drive with 22" wheels with twin turbo's.......The first time I drove it I was truly shocked......

It was the best vehicle I had ever driven.

A seven passenger plus luggage hot rod......wow!

I bet if one manufactures cell phones had 14 million recalls and they all had to be sent back to the factory to be reset.....that company would be out of business the next day........but consumers today are not a smart lot.

Dad has a 1012 FLEX....top of the line. Only issue??? A squirrel ate some of his under hood insulation!!!

It's all wheel drive with 22" wheels with twin turbo's.......The first time I drove it I was truly shocked......

Those Flex's are super nice. Thought about one for myself.

Your Subaru Crosstrek was built right here in my hometown, Lafayette, IN.

Art

Well I gotta hand it to Indiana Craftsman, they build a great car.

my saturn Redline Ion is now ten years old and now recalled!! still waiting on the call my parts came in!!..... I already took in the wifes 08' chevy cobalt to ha ve her ignition switch changed they must be getting fast at it i don't think we were there an hour at the dealership for her car....

Just cause some of the imports are made here means nothing. Where do you think a lot of the money goes back to? Also look into what the foreign company's pay for taxes in the US or should I say what they dont pay. Saying how crappy American cars are built?? Yes there are some crappy ones but all??? Far from it, There are just as many crappy "Import cars" made every year to.

I am also a technician as a profession. Ive worked for private garages & dealerships and I have seen enough stuff that makes me shake my head. For instance a Honda Pilot that had bad universal joints on the driveshaft. Do you think the joints were able to be serviced on it heeeeeell no you had to buy the entire drive shaft.

I am a big ford guy for sure but ill give credit to dodge/Chrysler & to GM they do have some good cars/trucks and some good engines to boot. But when I was working private garages I always told my coworker there that if it wasn't for GM we would be out of a job & he was a GM as that was prolly 65% of what came through the door. ( And he agreed even being a big GM guy. 20% was foreign and the other 15% ford/dodge.

Edited by stang_crazy

1012??

A very early model, I see.

I actually wouldn't mind one of those either, problem is even used they're nearly as expensive as new ones.

Charlie Larkin