Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Chrysler New Yorker

StevenGuthmiller

Finished last night & photographed this morning! Please disregard the rain drops! :) The weather isn't exactly conducive to taking pictures in Minnesota this morning. Anyway, this is an original Johan 1960 Chrysler New Yorker annual kit that I got as a built up & has been completely restored. The colors are factory correct "Iris" with a "Lilac" top & a 2-tone metallic purple interior. After market touches include, scratch built mirrors inside & out, along with a scratch built antenna & another of those wonderful Mopar "transparent" steering wheels. Other than that, a set of Modelhaus wide whites & Chrysler wire wheels finishes off the package. Comments or criticisms are always welcome guys!

Steve

2v23Mdr64xwUbWP.jpg2v23MdjcCxwUbWP.jpg2v23MdrzhxwUbWP.jpg2v23Mdj1VxwUbWP.jpg2v23MdjjFxwUbWP.jpg2v23MdjdgxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Steve, that body design, and , your skills, along with some beautiful colors makes for one of the best looking model cars I think I've ever seen, beautiful job.

Thanks Gene! That's quite a compliment! I have really grown to love the 1960-'61 Chrysler/ Desoto body style. I think it's one of those cars that has historically gotten very little attention. But the more time I spent looking at them, ( I built 3 in the past couple of years) & doing research on them, the more I had grown to appreciate the clean & elegant lines of the '60s especially. The fact that the '60 New Yorker was so "un-addorned" with trim when compared to other cars from 1960, just proves to me the beauty & simplicity of the design. I'm sure there are those that will think I'm crazy praising this huge winged behemoth, but, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :) Steve

That's a beautiful build and one of my favorite cars. I've always been a fan of the '60-61 Chryslers. Tailfins? No problem for me!!

Do you cast those clear steering wheels yourself? I always use old Mopar steering wheels from Modelhaus when building customs but they're not tranparent like the originals.

Thanks Guys! It was a fun one except for some chassis issues. For some reason, the chassis seemed to be too long & the rear wheels looked to be too far back to me. So I had to "re-work" things a bit to move them forward. In the process of re-doing things, I got the front end a little low for stock also. But I liked the look so I left it alone. Steve

That's a beautiful build and one of my favorite cars. I've always been a fan of the '60-61 Chryslers. Tailfins? No problem for me!!

Do you cast those clear steering wheels yourself? I always use old Mopar steering wheels from Modelhaus when building customs but they're not tranparent like the originals.

No casting needed Manuel. I just cut off the top & bottom of the steering wheel, ( the parts to be clear) & then stretch & form heated clear sprue to the size & shape I need, & then glue them together after paint. I decided a while back that I needed to come up with a way to do these as they were quite common in the '59-61 Mopars as well as a lot of Pontiacs from the late 50s all the way through till the late 60s. I have a lot of kits in that category that I've built, & many more to build. Steve