Model Cars Magazine Forum

corvair

I thought GM stuff was pretty interchangeable back then. Would a Chevelle or Chevy II box be the same? I know that everything from Chevelles, Camaros to Impalas was interchangeable, they just had differnt ratios in them sometimes.

Corvair steering boxes are unique to Corvairs, early Pontiac tempest('61&'62) and possibly Olds f85, and Buick skylarks of the same years. the Camaro and Chevelle boxes are radically different.Vega steering boxes are another different animal altogether.

go to this link and scroll down to Corvair steering box.. I have used this to copy the box in plastic. A heavy piece of round sprue ,a .030 plastic triangle and a few stretched sprue bosses, www.hotrodsusa.com/store/steering_boxes.html . Paul

thanks for the replies. i should have been a little more elaborate about what i wanted it for. i am building a model of my 1-1 flathead powered '32 austin-bantam altered drag car. i built it with a corvair steering box and it is in plain site so i need to have one on it. i tried the hot rod site but the steering box site was under contruction and wouldn't come up. i know what they look like anyway, as i have 3 of them for other builds. i do believe i will have to scratch build it. thanks again for the replies.