Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grade School English

Ace-Garageguy

Whenever I see someone use the word "loose" when they mean "lose" (ands it is so common!), it's like nails on a chalkboard.

Your pants can be too loose. There can be a loose wire causing an electrical problem. You may even know a woman with loose morals... but you can't "loose" your keys.

It doesnt matter what generation your from every generation has slang words. Doesnt matter if you grew up in the 50s or the 90s every generation has their language. But if u want to start on my generation the why was the sixtys full of idiots and

Drugheads.

"It doesnt doesn't matter what generation your you're from(.) every Every generation has slang words. Doesnt It doesn't matter if you grew up in the 50s or the 90s(,) every generation has their language. But if u you want to start on my generation the then why was were the sixtys full of idiots and Drugheads. drug heads?"

I went to school in the '50s and '60s, taught Elementary school for most of my working life earned several degrees and smoked pot. All that and not only can I type a paragraph, but I can edit yours as well.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

Bill, I think a lot of it has to do with the basic education that people get. As an "old fart" who had nuns (Sister Mary Discipline with the steel edged ruler on your knuckles) and Brothers and/or Priests (with the 10 lb. textbook falling on the top of your head), we learned the things we had to learn quickly to avoid the wrath of the teachers. With the changes in school grading curves and society's more permissive rules and regulations over the past 30 or 40 years, the quality of education has suffered greatly. Many people didn't either get the basic spelling, grammar and punctuation education back in their formative years, just like basic arithmetic (people who can't make the correct change at a cash register. We can beat this to death but it unfortunately won't change it.

I have to completely disagree with most, if not all, of this paragraph. I am the father of three school age children. They study all the basics and have greater skill in most subjects than I ever did at the same level. Yes, anectodal, but I work closely with my kids at their elementary school and can see the teaching methods and support that schools provide - they are in no way "suffering".

However, now that the Internet allows you to actually see the ignorance of a greater number of people, it SEEMS that there are more of them. Ignorance has always been and will always around - it just hasn't always been so evident.

Ok i have a question for the ones complaining about how people write stuff. Do you spell everything you write correct,use the correct version of certian words use correct punctuation capitalize everything that should anytime you write spell or email some one or post something

Edited by chevyfever2009

Those who grew up during texting and Facebook and Twitter also learned correct spelling, grammar and punctuation in school (I assume)...

Harry, you know what happens when you assume!?!?! :lol::huh::blink:

I completely understand the reason for using common abbreviations for texting (you can look where you're driving more often if you use fewer letters), but in communications where speed just isn't the overriding issue, I don't get it.

If you are texting while you are driving, and this applies to everyone, being stupid in spelling is the least of your idiocy!!

DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE DUMMIES!!!

I am a professional driver with over one million safe miles on this country's roads and seen firsthand the results of texting and driving, and believe me, it's not pretty. That text isn't worth my life or yours!!

This now concludes my properly spelled Public Service Announcement, now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

The only solution(?) as I see it, is for those of us that compose complete sentences that can be comprehended, with correct spelling, punctuation and grammar in English, ignore those who ask assistance of the Forum. I really don't care what the textheads want to do amongst themselves, when you post here use proper form. Of course for those to whose English is a secondary language are excused.

Ok i have a question for the ones complaining about how people write stuff. Do you spell everything you write correct,use the correct version of certian words use correct punctuation capitalize everything that should anytime you write spell or email some one or post something

Pretty much. Anytime I write anything anywhere I assume I'm speaking to an audience and want to present myself in a certain way. I may deviate from that to a degree if I want to remain in character talking to a bunch of racers or such, but I proofread and correct all my posts. Follow me around and see how often you see that "edit" thing at the bottom of my posts. I can't see just typing away and hitting send.

Dale

Yes. I know how, so why wouldn't I ? It doesn't take any more time to do it right. :)

Believe it or not, there are some people who actually enjoy using English correctly; it's just like using any other tool correctly. B)

Remember...English (or any language) is a TOOL that lets you share thoughts, information and ideas with other people. The better you use the tool, the more easily and completely you'll be understood, and the better you'll understand others. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The short answer is a resounding "Yes!" You have to think outside the world of Facebook and texting to understand why, though. Go back to post #28 and look at how much Dale had to edit what you wrote in order to bring it up to "acceptable English" standards. To be blunt, when people older than your generation see this stuff, you collectively come off as a bunch of 'tards, and before you tell me that what they think doesn't matter, remember that they're the ones who'll be doing the hiring for the forseeable future.

Also, there's a huge difference between "generational slang" and the inability to differentiate between 2nd grade words like your and you're or there, their and they're. Do you get to mix and match multiplication table results too? Personally, I believe it comes down to willful indifference. Here's why: Over the years, we've had a decent sampling of Europeans join our board, and even though English was, at best, a second language to most of them, none of them ever created a literary pile of poop like you did in the paragraph that Dale edited. That's because they were taught proper English, including punctuation and spelling.

I'd honestly love to know how colleges are handling this kind of thing. Can you imagine grading a term paper wirtten in this garbage?

"the reason for using common abbreviations for texting (you can look where you're driving more often if you use fewer letters)"

That was a joke. I guess I should have put a :lol: at the end. :) :)

Yeah, but for some here I'm sure it's the truth. I'm just very anti texting while driving. Maybe there should be a $2500 fine for car drivers like there is for commercial drivers, then there word be less texting and driving.

Of course, you can't fix stupid, not even with duct tape!! :lol: Through the years driving around the country, I have seen it all, and two of the most memorable just happen to have been in IL. One woman around Effingham was driving down the interstate reading a book and once around Chicago I seen a woman change her shirt while driving on I 80!

Ok, so everyone knows. l do not always use caps like l should because of Multiple sclerosis. l type with one hand and l would say unless my spelling is in the 90 percent correct. I don't text but do my best typing here. l am not offended. Guys if you see my posts with out caps my hand may have been getting tired. l also am now a lefty and until the last three years l was right handed all my life. l will try to do better...

Ok, so everyone knows. l do not always use caps like l should because of Multiple sclerosis. l type with one hand and l would say unless my spelling is in the 90 percent correct. I don't text but do my best typing here. l am not offended. Guys if you see my posts with out caps my hand may have been getting tired. l also am now a lefty and until the last three years l was right handed all my life. l will try to do better...

Carl, there's a big difference between a person with a handicap and a person who's just being lazy. You have nothing to apologize for.

And BTW... I've been a lefty all my life and kind of like it. :D

Carl, there's a big difference between a person with a handicap and a person who's just being lazy. You have nothing to apologize for.

And BTW... I've been a lefty all my life and kind of like it. :D

Thanks Harry, good point...

Your statement is a perfect example, and - to the best of my ability, as my eighth grade English class taught me, some 50 years ago , this is how you might have typed it..... "Okay, I have a question for those complaining about how do people write stuff ? Do you spell everything you write correctly, use the correct version of certain words; use correct punctuation, capitalize everything anytime you write, spell, or email someone or post something?"...Sorry, in spelling, correct punctuation and capitalization ALONE, I have come up with10 incorrect uses of those in this paragraph, and I didn't even address other issues, such as sentence structure. And I will be the first to tell you, I make mistakes....but I do proof read before I post, and there IS an autocorrect, and I use it.

I for one do in fact try to write concisely and use the correct words, terms and punctuation to get my point across. Even though I proof read what I write prior to posting, occasionally I make errors, but I try to edit and fix them if I can. I think most of the time, even if I don't re-address any written errors, my point is at least relatively clear nonetheless.

I must say though, I got a chuckle at your post. I had to read it three times to comprehend what you were trying to get across. And that was after it had been edited. Makes me wonder how much more incoherent it might have been before being edited.

As pointed out, language is a tool. Why not at least try to use it correctly? How about taking pride in constructing a well written thought as you would in constructing a model?