Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 AMT 55 Chevy Nomad

Roadrunner

It's ok, but comes off as a bit toylike overall out of the box. The front suspension, doors, and front seats are probably the worst parts. As far as I know, there is no aftermarket for this kit. Also, unlike the AMT 1/25 scale Nomad, the rear liftgate and tailgate does not open, but the doors and hood do. It also does not have the poseable steering like the smaller kit, and uses a 1/8" steel rod to mount the front wheels, same as the 1/16 scale Mustang kit.

I built one about 25 years ago when I was in high school, I didn't think it was too bad overall.

as long as the overall proportions seem correct.

The bodies of AMT's 1/16 '55 and '57 Chevy kits seem pretty good at first glance, but as Bill mentioned, the balance of the kits are a bit simplified. The rear leaf springs and rear axle are molded as one part, and the parts count isn't quite what one would expect or like to see from a larger scale kit like this. It's a good starting point, but plan on adding a lot more detail. The opening doors are kind of clunky and "thick" looking when opened, as the jamb areas don't look very realistic.

Yes but it was fun to build, I have build a couple of these over the years, the last one I built was custom. Being a bigger scale does make for some interesting customs. I have one sitting on a chair in my room waiting for the next show, a guy approach me asking if I had one. I would build another, I also have the 57 Nomad and Bel- Air 1/16

I have to second what Casey stated, "it's a good starting point."

The 1/16 scale AMT kits are "loaded with opportunities"....meaning the basic shapes are alright but there are so many things that need to be done in order to finish with features that should have been included in a kit this size.

I have acquired a few 1/16 scale kits, I'm planning on them taking a while to complete to my satisfaction.

BIG, clunky, and crude, but, because it is BIG it allows one to really get into detailing. But there again, being of a large scale (1/16) kits to kit bash are few and far between , at least in the average builders stash.

Wheels are nice Cragar S/S mags. Tires, well John's "Snow tire" description , just about covers it. :blink:

The chassis, front and rear suspension lend themselves to fine detailing.As a mater of fact the front is very easy to make a working suspension if you can come up with a workable set of springs.I wound my own from some stretched sprue.

The engine and transmission , here again, not very realistic. You'll have to search for a donor kit.

So if ya gotta have BIG, you have your work cut out for you. :P

I hope that Round2 will reissue this series (they already reissued that catastropy-but-not-their-fault 1964 Mustang Coupe) . Those ePay prices are ridiculous for these kits !

With the idea of a reissue in mind ; let's hope that they trash those ugly "snow tyres" (the stock version's skinny Firestone tyres are just fine) ...

I agree that those kits only really make sense when you get them at a reasonable price.

They aren't really bad, but they are oveerall a bit disappointing, especially considering that there already were better detailed 1/25 kits around, when these were made.

One project lingering in my forehead for a long time is building all 6 tri-Chevies, and putting them onto a scratchbuilt car transporter hauled by the Monogram Peterbilt, or Kenworth.

BTW, the '55 Tbird kit contains a superb set of Kelsey Hayes wire wheels, which would do no harm to the Lindberg T bucket.

Edited by Junkman

"catastropy-but-not-their-fault 1964 Mustang Coupe" ? The Tri-Five kits are no better or worse,with each kit having some saving grace, the wheels , in most cases. :huh:

I cite the '64 Mustang Coupe as being a catasotrphy only in the sence that its A-pillar / windshield area is so obviously off to the most casual observer . It's through my experiences that the Tri-Five kits aren't *nearly* as grotesque as that '64 Mustang .

Edited by 1972coronet

There is no oil filter provided for the engine.

Which is correct for the '55 265-- the oil filter wasn't added until 1956. The valve covers also have the early bolt pattern.

I agree that those kits only really make sense when you get them at a reasonable price.

^ This

For those that are going to point out that the 1/25 scale '55 Chevy kits from Revell have an oil filter, the remote filter they have that's right in front of the air cleaner on the intake manifold is an option, kind of a Mickey Mouse looking affair with little 1/8 npt fittings in the front of the block feeding it with oil directly from the oil passage along the cam valley, it was a full flow filter without a bypass if it plugged up, and ,or from having such small lines caused some real restrictions if you tried running it with much oil pressure or at a very high RPM, most serious racers drilled and retapped the block for bigger line's and a less restrictive plumbing set-up, a lot of racers just didn't run a filter at all and took their chances, it was the big bucks NASCAR guys that redid the oiling system for more reliability, the filter actually being one of the minor changes.

Edited by horsepower

I had the 55 Nomad and 57 Bel Air coupe, convertible and Nomad kits a few years ago (had to sell them due to economy) and I thoght they looked quite good. I sure could have added details to them if I had ever got around to building them but in my eyes they looked quite good. I would have built them stock as that is the way I prefer the Chevys of this generation. I also had the 79 Pontiac Trans Am 10th anniversary kit and that was something I really wanted to build (had to sell that one too).