Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL Announced, new pics added to OP

martinfan5

The AMT kit is AMT's, and first appeared in 1965. Had Frog (or any European or Japanese) company made that kit, it would be 1/24 scale like the others.

The instructions and parts list for this Amt/Frog kit is exactly the same as the Amt Trophy series model I have in the stash, although the box art lists it as 1/24th scale, and the Amt version lists it as 1/25th, but I suspect it is infact the same kit

item-6576-1_zpsamqsqfpv.jpeg

My AMT kit has languished in the box for a while and likely will for a while more, but it will, eventually, be built,, painted one of the four Taimya silvers, box stock. While I probably won't get one, I do very much appreciate the Tamiya kit as the car is one of my favorite classic sports cars- the other being a Jag E-type. Now, if Tamiya would do one of them... :)

I agree about the E-type, that is a car that should be made in to a new kit. I have a gluebomb of the old Heller roadster E-type and once also had the Monogram coupe but both of them look very off in the front.

That Gullwing looks fantastic! I really like the full chassis detail and clear undertray so that it is still visible. It's a pity that that Tamiya didn't go the extra mile and have the boot opening too, but I doubt that it would be too tricky to convert.

For those commenting on the Heller version, I have an unbuilt one in the loft, but tbh I wasn't that impressed by what I saw in the box the last time I looked. I don't think it is up to the same level as the others in the same series (E Type OTS & FHC, and the many prewar European exotic and not so exotic kits). If it is of interest, I can dig it out to take some photos of the sprues and scan in the instructions.

I agree about the E-type, that is a car that should be made in to a new kit. I have a gluebomb of the old Heller roadster E-type and once also had the Monogram coupe but both of them look very off in the front.

Imho, whilst the headlights aren't 100%, the Heller E Types are vastly better in every way than either the Monogram coupe or Revell roadster. I built the Heller racing coupe as a child (a few bits survive in my parts box), and am really looking forward to having the time to build both the roadster and coupe Hellers that are in the loft. It will be interesting to compare them to the curbside Gunze roadster that I built when I first took up modelling again nine years ago. A newly tooled Tamiya level of quality full detail kit is vastly overdue though!!

If Tamiya are looking backwards in time for new kits, then it does beg the question of what else they might be considering. Given the M-B license, perhaps a Pagoda 230/250/280SL? A W100 600 would be too much to hope for!!

I won't be too negative at the moment because I see some fabulous touches here after looking at the new images, but it seems that the trunk is molded shut. That won't keep me from buying it, but it sure seems like a major omission considering all the detail that's been put into this. There are a lot of details inside the 1:1 trunk that add to the unique elements of this car.

Edited by sjordan2

That Gullwing looks fantastic! I really like the full chassis detail and clear undertray so that it is still visible. It's a pity that that Tamiya didn't go the extra mile and have the boot opening too, but I doubt that it would be too tricky to convert.

For those commenting on the Heller version, I have an unbuilt one in the loft, but tbh I wasn't that impressed by what I saw in the box the last time I looked. I don't think it is up to the same level as the others in the same series (E Type OTS & FHC, and the many prewar European exotic and not so exotic kits). If it is of interest, I can dig it out to take some photos of the sprues and scan in the instructions.

Imho, whilst the headlights aren't 100%, the Heller E Types are vastly better in every way than either the Monogram coupe or Revell roadster. I built the Heller racing coupe as a child (a few bits survive in my parts box), and am really looking forward to having the time to build both the roadster and coupe Hellers that are in the loft. It will be interesting to compare them to the curbside Gunze roadster that I built when I first took up modelling again nine years ago. A newly tooled Tamiya level of quality full detail kit is vastly overdue though!!

If Tamiya are looking backwards in time for new kits, then it does beg the question of what else they might be considering. Given the M-B license, perhaps a Pagoda 230/250/280SL? A W100 600 would be too much to hope for!!

Yes, a Pagoda would be great, even greater for me personally would be a W110 Heckflosse/Fintail as I own a 1:1 1965 190. I would also like to see the W111 coupe and cabriolet models. But I guess it will be just a dream.

I'm deffinantly buying this new 300SL. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 1:16 Minicraft kit some years ago when I found it at 70% discount, at that price is was about half the price of a normal AMT 1:25 kit but I had already spent to much money that day and had to back off.

Yes, a Pagoda would be great, even greater for me personally would be a W110 Heckflosse/Fintail as I own a 1:1 1965 190. I would also like to see the W111 coupe and cabriolet models. But I guess it will be just a dream.

I'm deffinantly buying this new 300SL. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 1:16 Minicraft kit some years ago when I found it at 70% discount, at that price is was about half the price of a normal AMT 1:25 kit but I had already spent to much money that day and had to back off.

As I understand it, the 1/16 Minicraft is a difficult kit to build, but as I look at mine and compare it to others, it's got a very accurate body shape molded all in one piece without separate front and rear body valances, plus a complete space frame, making body mounting a problem. There is not a single Gullwing kit without problems, and all of them suffer from poor door fit.

The 1/16 Italeri has many accuracy problems and even worse door fit.

Wow Ron...thanks for posting the link to that video. Love the German-accented English overview, too!

After looking back over my AMT kit, I too was surprised that the Tamiya kit does not have an opening "boot". But one presumes that it would be pretty easy to add.

And that clear underbody tray? Gotta say, someone at Tamiya really "gets it" about how many modelers think with this kit. This looks like one of the highlights of the year, a year that when completed, is going to have a bunch of highlights for the model building community.

And for those who say that "Third Golden Age of Model Car Building" is not underway, I say "TILT"! Wow...can't wait.

TIM .

PS - will I finally be able to forgive them over the butchered so-called engine in the Aston kit a few years ago? Maybe so, maybe so.... TB

Mine are still unbuilt. I'd post pics, but I.E. doesn't play well with this forum. The presence of a full belly pan makes a detailed chassis somewhat moot. It does appear to have some detail issues with suspension simplicity. I will definitely be picking up several of the Tamiya kits though, as all the other examples of the other brands are old toolings.

Wow! I didn't know Dave Deal did a Gullwing :D

Italeri 300SL roadster really nice, never have seen their coupe. AMT is ancient tool, but really nice build, things fit, good engraving. Side vents not great, but OK for '65. Mine is MB Ivory/tobacco brown. Body color Rudges. No pic, but looks dead correct. Hope this is new direction for Tamiya, they don't do vintage really. A110, 2CV. Morgan, Mk. II. Need AMG Red Sau 6.3, BMW 3.5 CSL, C-type, Birdcage, 550, RS60,.... Never done stuff. W196 Streamliner too. Still, can't wait.

Thanks, Geoff. Lots of variations in these kits. I wonder why the box art photo of the Heller in Christian's post doesn't show the turn signals (among painting mistakes). I see that the Heller body shell in your photo indicates the need to deal with a separate front body valance at the bottom, requiring seam work, and the trunk is molded shut.

The AMT, on the other hand, has a molded-on valance and all opening parts, including the trunk. There's more to find out about the Heller for comparison's sake.