Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Tamiya Datsun 240ZG

stump

Stump, My Man, you really gotta hook up with Harry for Real or Model! Your shot of the Blue Motion Camaro is one of the best shots around! This one's just as good! It sure LOOKS real!Give it a try, I'm sure you could fool at least a few guys!!! :)

No worries mate.. :lol:

Hey, good luck on your Datsun build too...I wouldn't mind a look at that when you get back to it....

I'm hearing what you mean about stalled projects too.....them I got plenty of..... :rolleyes:

Meant to add before too, I was only kiddin with you about the costs of a build.....Brandon, I got no real idea to be truthful...

I know there are guys out there who do it, and probably do very well out of it, financially......but I honestly don't see how you can make your money back per time invested...??

The car I sold, which was a couple of years ago now.....I'd built it from ground up, several times.....just to get it right.

It was a curbside of one of our Aussie Muscle cars...basic interior, flat chassis.....a great body is all it had going for it....

I slotted in a chassis from another kit, highly modified to look like what I was building (I'd owned 5 of the real 1:1 cars, so I knew them inside out..)

Countless hours.....just making parts for it......I sold it for $475AUSD......MADNESS !!!!! :) ....but I was desperate, and needed the cash.....

Lesson learned ?......Yes, I could have held off and kept it....I still have pics of it, but that's all.....

A9XLHS-vi.jpg

NICE PIC! at first i thought that was sitting in your drive way! it looks real! is that a ford capri? it looks sweet! i love the 2-tone paint job you did! and i can take pics soon, and i will start my own thread so i don't clog up yours! and that is mad! but atleast you have a pic of yours! i don't of mine! but life goes on.

b.t.w. i agree with george! you have really nice pics! it would be fun that you know that yuor pics stumped some fellow members!

NICE PIC! at first i thought that was sitting in your drive way! it looks real! is that a ford capri? it looks sweet! i love the 2-tone paint job you did! and i can take pics soon, and i will start my own thread so i don't clog up yours! and that is mad! but atleast you have a pic of yours! i don't of mine! but life goes on.

b.t.w. i agree with george! you have really nice pics! it would be fun that you know that yuor pics stumped some fellow members!

Stump, My Man, you really gotta hook up with Harry for Real or Model! Your shot of the Blue Motion Camaro is one of the best shots around! This one's just as good! It sure LOOKS real!Give it a try, I'm sure you could fool at least a few guys!!!

Well, thank yous guys... <_<

Brandon, the green beast is a Torana, by our local GM(Holden)..The best of them, Hi-Po version was the L-34 (4-door) and A9X (2-door)

Lightweight at about 1200kg, powered by a 5 litre V8.....Very.......very quick..... :blink:B)

Yes, I need to get back to some good outdoor pics....it is fun. Then I may have a shot at "real or model"..... ;)

I enjoy the photographic side of the hobby nearly as much as building....good thing I have a digi cam now, as most of my pics are throw aways..... :huh:

Update.....June......

Well, still moving along here.....waiting on some more Scale Hardware, so I thought I'd look into some other area which needs attention......Brakes !

Sorry...no working drums or anything like that...... :) ..

Tamiya, in their wisdom...(?) got as far as adding tiny stubs on the calipers and drums to add brake line detail....? :huh: ...BUT, no tubing, not even a mention of it in the manual... ;)

They used to supply tubing with their 1/12 F1 kits............Oh well, guess it's in my hands........

And the E-brake......?? We won't even go there.......it is not even represented.....at all........

Now, the e-brake is something which is quite concealed I guess, exhaust and tail shaft obscure it....BUT, it is still a visible component......

Here's what I got so far........

I made a basic shape from angled styrene, made some linkages and threw in some RBMotion nuts'n'bolts.......

oddsnendsjune001-vi.jpg

Test fit of the unit......

oddsnendsjune002-vi.jpg

Rough coat of dull metallic paint....the whole thing will get a dirty wash once it's in place...

ebrake002-vi.jpg

It fits in the tunnel, just ahead of the diff. A rod will attach to the lever off the side, and connect to the e-brake handle...

ebrake001-vi.jpg

Test fitting last night revealed a close (too close..) fit between the tail shaft...so I've raised the height of the diff centre to clear.... ;)

Also started on the interior.......

The glovebox lid is cast separate....only because the dash is shared with the Safari version, with differing details on the glovebox.

It is also cast quite thick at approx 3mm.........niiiice........NOT ! My solution, thin the lid.........

oddsnendsjune003-vi.jpg

And come up with this.......

oddsnendsjune005-vi.jpg

And....................the tyres are FINISHED !..............YAY !!

oddsnendsjune007-vi.jpg

oddsnendsjune009-vi.jpg

I added the TOYO logo last night and gave it all a final sand......

I've emailed my resin bud to let him know they are ready, but got a reply yesterday morning to tell me he couldn't cast them hollow..... :blink:

I'm a little bummed by that news and am contemplating having a go myself......??

I'll keep you updated on that front.......

Stay tuned guys.....it's about to get warmed up down here........More soon.

cheers

Greg

Still watching this one with interest Greg! I did a 1/12th Camaro and didn't realise one could get so much detail in something that size! Got to agree with the others man, you are an artist! Bloody genious mate!

I have a wreck of a 1/8th Stingray that I want to briing back from the dead and your build is certainly getting my juices flowing! But I'm 54 and could well be bloody dead before I finish it! :P Maybe I could leave it to the master in my will to finish off! ;)

Hehehe. :P

Hey, thanks Tom. I appreciate your very kind words mate. ;)

To be honest, I'm worried about finishing all mine too....I now have 8 (?) 1/12 kits to do..... :blink:

Datsun 240Z..........x 2

Mazda RX-7

Monogram 67 Vette. x 2

Doyusha Vette

Monogram 69 Camaro

Fujimi R-32 GT-R

Not necessarily in that order.... ;) .....and I got the big 50 coming up this year....... :huh:

Thank you too Mike, much appreciated man.. ;)

cheers

Greg

50 already? Dam Stump, do YOU GUYS got the AARP too??? Maybe there's an Aussie version, Australian Assc. of Retired People. If ya do, get ready fo' da junk mail! Personally Greg, I'd like ta see ya tackel that 69 Camaro, Kinda got a soft spot fer them, them an 69 Chargers! But I better let ya finish this monster 'afore I start givin out assignmemts!

Now for this build, You put in a parking brake handle that can function? if you can find that thin stretchable cord that's sold at craft stores, maybe you could hook up some E-brake lines to LOOK like they set when you pull up on the handle! Anyways, this bad boy looks like it's comin along right nicely! Hope ya don't loose wats left of the ol noggin afore ya finish it! :P;)

:P:P ...Hey, thanks George.

Yah, we have something similar to that.....but the Gov'ment told us in the "Budget" just the other day, they raising retirement from 65 to 67......######..... :blink::P

So, I got a good ways to go yet...plenty of time to get a couple finished.

Hey, ya know...I've started the 69 Camaro....yeah yeah.....like most projects, it got started and put aside..... B)

I've been waiting to acquire some confidence to tackle it.....there's a fair amount of scratching to be done on it too....to build the version I want..... ;)

Maybe I'll get it out again soon.....I do miss working on it..

post-3007-1244069215_thumb.jpg post-3007-1244068993_thumb.jpg

Functional E-brake......??.......Hmmm, we shall see.........I'm trying to nut out the lower part of the handle now.....I'll check my local craft store for some stretchy elastic.. ;)

Thanks for the tip.. ;)

Oh, and I don't know if I can get any nuttier than I already am......... :lol:

cheers George

Greg

Now for this build, You put in a parking brake handle that can function? if you can find that thin stretchable cord that's sold at craft stores, maybe you could hook up some E-brake lines to LOOK like they set when you pull up on the handle! Anyways, this bad boy looks like it's comin along right nicely! Hope ya don't loose wats left of the ol noggin afore ya finish it! ;);)

Ok George...I'm holding you personally responsible for this...................... :lol::lol::lol:

So, as I said.....I been trying to figure out how to mount the handle side of this part......?? After trying several unsuccessful attempts.......This is where I'm at.....

I had to "cut" my new bracket into the tunnel floor.....allowing extra clearance for the diff......It now sits almost flush, much better.. ;)

ebrake2001-vi.jpg

ebrake2003-vi.jpg

Handbrake............OFF..

ebrake2004-vi.jpg

Handbrake.................ON...

ebrake2005-vi.jpg

I hope to get some colour on the chassis tomorrow, or at least over the weekend....then ALL these bits can start going on, for good.... :lol:

More soon guys.....

cheers

Greg

Ok Greg, now THAT looks even REALER than real! Wats next, Daddy-O? Roll down windows an locking doors? I mean ,even the glovebox door is to scale! You have gotten nearer to the edge Stumpman! Pretty soon you'll be cuttin a NEW ONE! These builds are just fantastic! An I thought you wuz good in 25th scale! You go boy!!!! :lol:;);)

WOW, greg that is a fine job! and thats a first for me to see a opening glovebox in a model before! thats ultra kewl! :(:( lol, and excellent e-brake fab job! that looks awsome!

truly amazing! a piece of art!

Brandon

Edited by KUZTOMMODELS88

Ok Greg, now THAT looks even REALER than real! Wats next, Daddy-O? Roll down windows an locking doors? I mean ,even the glovebox door is to scale! You have gotten nearer to the edge Stumpman! Pretty soon you'll be cuttin a NEW ONE! These builds are just fantastic! An I thought you wuz good in 25th scale! You go boy!!!! :o:o:o

:o

Thanks George.....Funny you should mention roll-down windows.................................... :huh: I have given the idea some thought....maybe the driver side anyways....see what happens. :o

Wont make any promises yet though..........

WOW, greg that is a fine job! and thats a first for me to see a opening glovebox in a model before! thats ultra kewl! :o:o lol, and excellent e-brake fab job! that looks awsome!

truly amazing! a piece of art!

Brandon

Thanks Brandon.. :o

I've opened them in 1/25 before, though they weren't functional...only glued open.

I have a Tamiya 1/24 Supra with an old version PS1 (playstation) and controller, sitting in the open glovebox... :o

cheers mate

Greg

Thanks Brandon.. :huh:

I've opened them in 1/25 before, though they weren't functional...only glued open.

I have a Tamiya 1/24 Supra with an old version PS1 (playstation) and controller, sitting in the open glovebox... ;)

cheers mate

Greg

NICE! but there is a problem with that, you wont be able to play and drive at the same time, the bumps in the road would make the game skip and freeze on you! ;) hahahahaha :o , lol! it would be cool to see a scale ps3 in there! :o lol, just an idea ;):o !

and rolling windows? that sounds awsome! now that would be another first for me :o !

cheers! :o

Brandon

Edited by KUZTOMMODELS88

• 2 weeks later...
NICE! but there is a problem with that, you wont be able to play and drive at the same time, the bumps in the road would make the game skip and freeze on you! ;) hahahahaha :lol: , lol! it would be cool to see a scale ps3 in there! :D lol, just an idea ;):) !

and rolling windows? that sounds awsome! now that would be another first for me :D !

cheers! :o

Brandon

:lol: Thanks Brandon......I hadn't considered the problem with trying to play the PS1...... :lol:

Well, I haven't got to the roll down windows yet.....but I have managed to get a bit done.....

Got thinking about fuel.......an this is what I come up with.......NIZM-O label is from a 1/24 Tamiya GT-R....... ;)

bitsjune09002-vi.jpg

Still need to fab up a hinge for the fuel door....but all the innards are in there.....lots of hoses to add as well...

bitsjune09008-vi.jpg

And just added some extra detail to the rear brake backs...the brackets will have the cables attach to'em....

bitsjune09015-vi.jpg

That's about it for now.......ol' life has been gettin in the way lately........More soon.

cheers

Greg

Beautiful! and i love the nismo decal! awsome! are you going to put more nismo stuff on it?

oh, and i need to take pics my 1/18 5.7l V8 datsun, but i have to wait to get my camera back!

and on other thing, i am also building 1/18 scale die-cast car! its a secret!

SSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!(its a 1966 jaguar e-type coupe, with a viper engine and tranny and suspension!)LOL!

Thanks Brandon and George.. ;)

Brandon, not sure there will be much more Nizmo stuff go on.....I was searching for a tiny Datsun logo amongst my decals, but spotted that label first and thought, that'll do... B)

Can't wait to see the work on the 1/18 builds mate... :lol: ..an don't worry, I wont mention the Jaguar.... :D:lol: That's gonna be wild...I LOVE it. :D

Thanks Karel, Al and George....... :D;)

Al, yeah, I'm well on the way to that big "fruit farm" for ol' nutters...... :lol: .........

I haven't touched it for over a week....just been too busy with life. ;) ....and I'm anxiously awaiting word on my wheels and tyres.....they got sent away for casting 2 weeks ago.. :P

cheers guys

Greg