Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mini Cooper "S"

jaymcminn

This is a kitbash of the Cooper S racing and rally kits. I used the smoothie rear bumper and front bumper with light bar from the Rally kit as well as that kit's more-detailed Minilite wheels on the Racing kit. I also added the second racing bucket seat to the interior. The paint scheme is the "Works" racing scheme using the kit decals- colors are Tamiya Racing Green and Pure White. The interior is Model Master British Crimson with piping made from white wrapping wire. If I were actually to own one of these cars one day, this is exactly how I'd want it to look! A couple of in progress shots to start...

P1020186.jpg

P1020188.jpg

for the wood on the steering wheel and shift knob, I applied clear orange over flat tan with a drybrushed black pattern. The wheel itself, like most of the small chrome trim on the car, was done in Alclad Chrome.

P1020196.jpg

I really like the way the door panels go together on this kit- it makes easy work of reproducing the unique look of the real car's interior. Next up, some completed pics!

P1020200.jpg

I decided on gold for the Minilites- they really "pop" against the green and white. The driving lights were brush-painted Tamiya clear yellow.

P1020205.jpg

Masking the drip rail to paint it the body color was a challenge, to say the least.

P1020207.jpg

Behold the mighty 1275CC beast under the bonnet!

P1020201.jpg

Most of the small chrome trim pieces on this kit (gas caps, door/bootlid handles, windshield wipers) were not chrome plated and had to be painted with Alclad. The exhaust tip is aluminum tubing.

P1020217.jpg

Overall, this kit was a real pleasure to build. It's a bit fiddly, largely due to the small size of the subject, but goes together really well. I'm going to have to get one of the new Revell Minis to compare the two!

Superb build, like the way you went with the gold wheels, and nice idea of going with the two bucket seats ....

Very nice!

Out of curiosity ... I'm not familiar with these Coopers ... what's the red thing on the firewall?

B)

That's the bottle for the windscreen washer fluid

• 2 weeks later...