Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Ferrari 612 Scaglietti Build

MBXPilot

Well this is my first build thread on this forum, and my first plastic model kit built in a long time. I'm hoping it'll come out nicely! I'm sure enjoying building it, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

This is pretty much a stock box build, only changing a few of the chrome pieces that don't need to be chrome! I'm not sure if that falls under the box stock category or not. So here we go...

Getting everything primed and painted.

15130299804_5ee030dc64_b.jpgFerrari 612 revell by MBXPilot, on Flickr

The completed engine:

15566254479_f472c987c4_b.jpgFerrari 612 by MBXPilot, on Flickr

15753666552_86e3bf28fa_b.jpgFerrari 612 by MBXPilot, on Flickr

15728415696_43ef22d60c_b.jpgFerrari 612 by MBXPilot, on Flickr

15753670742_30c9765555_b.jpgFerrari 612 by MBXPilot, on Flickr

Interior pieces getting painted.

15752124575_e8ca3e6cbf_b.jpgFerrari 612 by MBXPilot, on Flickr

Chassis painted.

15567307260_7725f557dc_b.jpgFerrari 612 by MBXPilot, on Flickr

Haven't been able to paint the body yet. It's getting very cold here in Tennessee, and I have no means to paint indoors. I have to hang the body out of my small apartment window and paint that way haha. So I'm just going to have to wait until it warms up. It's calling for 60 degrees this weekend, and I've got it, as well as quite a few of my 1/64 scale projects ready to go!

I'll post an update soon guys.

Haven't been able to paint the body yet. It's getting very cold here in Tennessee, and I have no means to paint indoors. I have to hang the body out of my small apartment window and paint that way haha. So I'm just going to have to wait until it warms up. It's calling for 60 degrees this weekend, and I've got it, as well as quite a few of my 1/64 scale projects ready to go!

I'll post an update soon guys.

I'm about an hour north of you. I'm thrilled we're getting normal temps back this weekend.

Not at all, i keep my garage heated during the winter during painting but i'm looking at purchasing a paint booth from TCP global and taking the man cave and converting it into a hobby room. Just have to ensure the fumes get efficiently removed from the room....or else the wife will have a fit...

Interior is actually just a Krylon gloss khaki tan with a model master flat clear on top. I don't think I thinned the clear properly, I think I need to do another coat.

And no I didn't make it to the show. I was out of town seeing Tony Bennett in concert!

Here's what the body looks like in green. It's going to have to be stripped and re-done, for two reasons. One, I applied the paint too thickly, and it's run in several places. The hood is just awful. I painted some diecast cars today, and they all ran as well. I guess it's too cold to paint still. Would that cause the paint to run? I painted a couple cars white today and they just look awful.

And two, I ran out of green paint. Just great. I'm not in the mood to paint anymore today anyways lol

15830152622_65ac966e19_b.jpg612 body by MBXPilot, on Flickr

It depends. Did you keep your paint outside? Did you warm the paint can up in hot water? I didnt have issues painting my R33 last weekend, but i warmed the paint and had a somewhat room temp. garage.

From what I understand, the paint running could be a case of 1. Painting too closely 2. Painting too slowly. I havent used a spray can for a wet coat yet but with my airbrush i'm maybe 12 inches away from the model and I move very quickly side to side, evenly applying and overlapping. I also move the model around quickly, building up the paint around the entire model. The paint should look wet, just to the point where it wants to run. At that point, lay off and move around the model.

You know what? I bet the paint is cold.

I live in a small apartment, the only heat is in the bedroom, heat doesn't get out into the main living room very well... So no doubt the paint was cold. Didn't even think of that.

I hold it out the window to paint but always bring it back inside to cure.

Cold paint, paint applied too quick and no primer could have caused your problems. Im 20 miles from you and i started painting today at 10 am so i would rule that out. I heat my paint and the parts im painting with a hair dryer before i step out side and normally dont have a problem unless the wind is just howling.

The other thing that helps warming rattle cans is the pressure. By placing them in very hot (not boiling) water, you help increase can pressure which helps with paint application.

Have you been to Hobbytown USA in Mt. Juliet? I'm considering taking a drive out there one of these days and seeing what they've got on hand. My LHS has to order pretty much everything I want and in the end, they just can't deliver like Hobbylinc and doesn't stock like HobbyEasy, Hobby Link Japan, or even HobbyStuff Depot in Canada as almost all of their inventory is electric R/C cars.

Hobby Town in Mt Juliet is a very well stocked store for kits, bottle and spray paints. If you go there you will not be disappointed.

You do not want to warm a can in boiling water because heating the can so quick with that hot of water can cause the paint inside to heat so quick it can explode. Just filling a container of hot water out of the tap and letting the can sit for a min or two is more than enough.

I hate to get my cans wet because the labels fall off and a bigger problem is i have had water leak out from behind the label after drying it off and it landed right on my body while painting. Sucks when your spraying a metallic or pearl.

Yeah I figured warm tap water would be enough.

I'll experiment a little and see what happens.

Yeah I miss the hobby town in murfreesboro!! I work at the nashville airport, and I don't think the mount juliet store is too far from there, so I'm gonna try to go after work one day and see what I can find. I like the tamiya paint and you can't find that stuff anywhere it seems.

Hobby Town in Mt Juliet is a very well stocked store for kits, bottle and spray paints. If you go there you will not be disappointed.

You do not want to warm a can in boiling water because heating the can so quick with that hot of water can cause the paint inside to heat so quick it can explode. Just filling a container of hot water out of the tap and letting the can sit for a min or two is more than enough.

I hate to get my cans wet because the labels fall off and a bigger problem is i have had water leak out from behind the label after drying it off and it landed right on my body while painting. Sucks when your spraying a metallic or pearl.

If they have Tamiya paint, it looks like it'll be worth the trip!

No, not boiling water, but I don't like using warm tap water as it really doesn't stay warm for long. It has to heat the paint. Now boiling would be bad obviously, but I struggle keeping warm tap water warm for very long.

I place my paints in ziploc bags into water. It avoids the soggy label and the water drip issue.

Yeah I figured warm tap water would be enough.

I'll experiment a little and see what happens.

Yeah I miss the hobby town in murfreesboro!! I work at the nashville airport, and I don't think the mount juliet store is too far from there, so I'm gonna try to go after work one day and see what I can find. I like the tamiya paint and you can't find that stuff anywhere it seems.

Yeah when they went out i ended up buying about 2000.00 worth of stuff when it was all 40-50% off. They do have Tamiya paints there but normally like 2 or 3 cans of each. They will order you anything you need though. Mind if i ask you where at the Airport you work?

If they have Tamiya paint, it looks like it'll be worth the trip!

I place my paints in ziploc bags into water. It avoids the soggy label and the water drip issue.

They do carry Tamiya paints. You might want to call before hand if your going to drive that far to buy some.

Also i never even thought about the bag idea before. lol Stupid me!