Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '62 Corvette Roadster 2'n1

Dr. Cranky

1961 was the last year with chrome trim around the cove which made painting the cove a second color easier. 1961 was also the last year of the 283 and wide white walls. 1962 was the first year of the 327, narrow whitewalls. I don't see the trunk ridge down the misddle either; hope it's there!

• 9 months later...

Better pic from Toledo NNL:

926.jpg

Looks like both the stock and custom versions are depicted, with the correct body-colored headlight bezels now. The Special Edition box looks a little different, too?

I am liking the custom wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

There is lettering on the nose of the car. The Corvette lettering and emblem are both present. That's the good news. The bad news is that they are both pretty shallow, and there is a mold line running right between them. It will be a bit of a challenge to pick them out after a coat or two of paint. (Good reason to use laquers) They are also on the decal sheet, so if you can't paint or foil them, you can stick the decal over them.

I just got home and opened it, and I am leaving early in the morning, so I can't post pics for a couple of days. At a first glance, it looks like some pretty crisp molding. Interior and chassis look nice. Lots of little parts. Hope it all goes together like the 50 Olds seems to. They might have another winner with this one. I need to see if I still have an old Countdown series AMT '62 so I can adapt the hardtop to this one. Overall, based on a 5 minute glance after a 16 hour work day, It looks like it should build up into a great model. Tires have bare sidewalls, which are something we just have to learn to live with, unless we buy aftermarket tires for every kit we build. Instructions look great and Decals are extensive.

Now where's my can of Honduras Maroon Paint???

I , too , am very disappointed with the absence of "up-top" options for the convertibles , that Revell-Monogram makes <_< .

I can't think of a single good excuse for this oversight !

Aside from that not-exclusive-to-this-kit observation , I am impressed with what I'm seeing here !

For years I couldn't stand the '58-'62 Corvettes ( it was the quad headlights more than anything ) , but after seeing some vintage photos of modified 'vettes in 1/4 mile regalia , I changed my feelings regarding the '58-'62 !

A vintage MSC ( Modified Sports Car ; a variation of Modified Production ) or Gasser would be a great basis for this kit B)

I , too , am very disappointed with the absence of "up-top" options for the convertibles , that Revell-Monogram makes <_< .

I can't think of a single good excuse for this oversight !

Revell has included uptops with some of their kits ('48 Ford, '72 Olds), so it only applies to a few of their convertible kits. But, if an uptop is a make or break deal, pass on this kit.

OK, I got mine earlier today. That mold line on the header panel will be a doosie to remove without damaging the Corvette block lettering, and primer should finish off anything left. Theres a real need for photo etch replacments here. No up-top, and the 61-62 tops are differant than the 58-60 tops, but with some work......... The top is needed for almost all race car builds so this is quite an opening for the aftermarket too. The Rochester FI unit is the first design like in the Black Widow kit, I was expecting the second design because of the 327 engine, the change must have happened with the body change in '63, but I can't find proof.

The "2 in 1" second version is a lowered front end, decals and some 1880's wagon wheels / tires (can you tell I HATE that trend?).