Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 2010 Shelby GT500 "Super Snake" COMPLETED in Under Glass

Kennyboy

Ok. Measure how much the wheel sticks out past the fender, let's say it's 3mm. Take tire off rim and cut that 3 mm off the back of it. Then cut same 3 mm out of tire but start in from sidewall. Once you have that strip out of tire put it all back together. THEN nip the same 3mm off rear axle ends and drill the wheel mount holes deeper to make up what you cut off

I see what you mean by your explanation, and it will work for sure, but if I were to section out and remove the top of the back wall of the wheelwell I think I can get the tire to clear and move in the 3mm I need. Should be pretty unnoticeable too. Will post a shot of it with the wheels mounted in the new configuration when done. Thanks Fred.

Ok so the brakes that come with the kit are small to say the least. That was not going to work for me sooooo I made new ones.

The old next to the new. The new ones are made from a 1 1/4" stainless washer for the rotor and 2 stacked 1 1/4" nylon washers (which I Dremeled the caliper out of.)

P1010545_zps225f2927.jpg

And on the car

P1010547_zps57a4765f.jpg

P1010548_zps7e56d210.jpg

Looks good. With rotors that big i would have drilled them just as some more eye candy

Was going to but on one of the other washers (did not use it) the drill would not get thru it without dulling out and finally breaking off the tip of the drill. Figuring it must have been some kind of a sign, I "machined" them instead with a drill and screwdriver tip.

Coming along nicely

Thanks Fred

Very nice work on this one Josh

I'll be checking in on it as you go.

I scratch build and customize a lot of my models and know what's involved in building it your way.

You got a lot of time in this one.

It's looking real nice.

Thank you Earl

-Ken

Another use for the bolt bin I would have not thought of making rotors out of washers love it

Thanks Ken, I think I'll post it up in Tips, Tricks, and tutorials.

great stuff on those brakes!..i guess i'll be using that trick for my '69 Camaro too..Mustang of yours is coming together nicely..!

Thank you Henry.