Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gregg's 1/12 Scale Mustang Miss "E"

Gregg

Guys, this is the first post of what I hope will be an incredible build.

I received the TDR Innovations 1/12 scale Mustang Miss "E" the other day, and all I can say is WOW!

post-3-12789799376754_thumb.jpg

I will be posting pictures along the way, but I wanted to start this thread so I have a reference in the print magazine to point to.

Stay tuned!

Gregg, that looks beautiful! How much does it sell for? Miss "E" (hehe I like that) has always been one of my favorites. I definitely want to see that pau! Go on, get building, Big Kahuna! :lol: You are painting her the way she should be, aren't you?

By the way, see, I'm picking up a little island lingo! :D

I was actually thinking of making her like this real one John Oszajca and I saw at SEMA the last year or so ago.

It was incredible!

It won an award there, but I know, that don't mean much (just depends on how much throw into the sponsor soup bowl)

Maybe I can get Bob Dudek to whip up some of his incredible rims for this beast, some blowers, and who know what else...

On the site: http://www.TDRCatalog.com it retails for $248, plus shipping of course.

Make sure you get a lot of good high quality sanding blocks.

I will post pics of the ones I am using. I did a review of their products in the last issue or so ago.

Gregg, actually the sanding part isn't all that hard, just a bit time consuming. Just think what kind of a project you'd be under taking if it was just a large block of hard foam board. TDR did all the hard work for you. ( LOL ).

Good luck with the build, and keep us informed as to it's progress.

CHEERZZZZ !!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR

Edited by MADD FABRICATOR

I was actually thinking of making her like this real one John Oszajca and I saw at SEMA the last year or so ago.

It was incredible!

It won an award there, but I know, that don't mean much (just depends on how much throw into the sponsor soup bowl)

Maybe I can get Bob Dudek to whip up some of his incredible rims for this beast, some blowers, and who know what else...

On the site: http://www.TDRCatalog.com it retails for $248, plus shipping of course.

Make sure you get a lot of good high quality sanding blocks.

I will post pics of the ones I am using. I did a review of their products in the last issue or so ago.

Keep us posted Gregg. Does this come with interior & chassis?

Wow, a little too rich for my blood right now, of course unless a certain magazine is hiring! :D:D I did notice they also have the 1/24 and 1/25 scale bodies, too. That would be exactly what I need to convert my AMT 67 kit to the "E" I've always wanted to build. Don't worry, though, I'm still going to watch how this one turns out! :P

Hey Greg, here is a link to a thread I did for a 1/18th body I finished out. It may prove helpful.

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B0brAPVJl8AhNTIwY2NhYzgtMzZhOC00ZjU2LWJhNzUtY2ZjZjY5MWZkZGVl&hl=en&pli=1

Also, if I can be of any help please do not hesitate to ask.

Tim

Tim, thanks for the link

Very good info there!

I liked Steve's explanation also.

I am glad I read it

I will add that into the next phase of the project.

I can use all the help I can get, as many of the members and readers will agree with.

Tim, thanks for the link

Very good info there!

I liked Steve's explanation also.

I am glad I read it

I will add that into the next phase of the project.

I can use all the help I can get, as many of the members and readers will agree with.

Gregg, (from my experience) the most important thing to remember when working with the TDR RP's is that it's not styrene or resin.

There is a bit of an un-learning curve required because of that but the pay-off is way more than worth the effort.

Looks like the TDR partners are following your thread so if you have any beefs, suggestions, questions, likes or dislikes...please post 'em, we are not thin skinned and if we can make a better product....we will.

This stuff is unfamiliar to many and you have one of the "few" 1/12th bodies out there.

You are breaking some fairly new ground here and I'm sure there will be a lot of interest.....besides, perhaps collectively we can save folks from making some of the "finishing out" boo boo's we've already experienced.

I think TDR sould start including sandpaper & patience with their kits. I tend to get a bit ham fisted at times and that's a No, No!

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Gregg, (from my experience) the most important thing to remember when working with the TDR RP's is that it's not styrene or resin.

There is a bit of an un-learning curve required because of that but the pay-off is way more than worth the effort.

Looks like the TDR partners are following your thread so if you have any beefs, suggestions, questions, likes or dislikes...please post 'em, we are not thin skinned and if we can make a better product....we will.

This stuff is unfamiliar to many and you have one of the "few" 1/12th bodies out there.

You are breaking some fairly new ground here and I'm sure there will be a lot of interest.....besides, perhaps collectively we can save folks from making some of the "finishing out" boo boo's we've already experienced.

I think TDR sould start including sandpaper & patience with their kits. I tend to get a bit ham fisted at times and that's a No, No!

Gregg,

I received the email you sent me about this project, and I'd be glad to chime in and offer any help you need. I have a lot of experience with this material, and actually run the same 3D pringint machine at work, so I can help you with the ins and outs of working with this stuff. One of the biggest tips I can give, is that I typically sand down the surface first with a rough foam-backed sanding block, maybe 60-grit or so, and then blow off all of the dust, and give it serveral good coats of "Folk Art Sanding Sealer" in a spray can. It says "For use on unfinished wood" on the can, but it works great to quickly fill in some of the roughest areas. Once that is dry, sand again, this time with somewhere around 120-grit. After that, start putting on coats of high-build sandable primer. I use the stuff from a spray can, but if you have access to a spray gun, you can get the 2-part stuff that covers very well. Then, just follow the process of sand, paint, sand, paint, etc. It may seem like you'll never get there, but I can assure you that a mirror finish is possible with enough elbow grease. Depending on the part, it sometimes can take 10-12 repeats of sanding and priming before it's smooth. Just be careful that with all of that priming and sanding, you don't lose any details. It's really easy to accidentally sand something off before you realize it.

Also, save the sanding dust if you can, and it's not too contaminated with sandpaper grit. The powder mixed with some super glue makes a great filler since that is essentially what the whole model is, just powder held in shape with super glue. Or you can just use a thick super glue straight on it. It should still sand about the same.

-Steve

Edited by Steve

Good stuff Steve, you pretty much nailed it.

The tip about saving the sanding dust is a good one, I do that with resin also. I try to save only the dust from sawing etc. as the grit from sand paper in the dust can screw up that final mile deep finish. The big plus from using the dust with CA as filler is it's basically the same material & sands at the same rate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An update on this since Chuck stirred up the pot :lol:

I followed Steve's tips on the sanding/prep of the body

I am starting with the main body first, picked up the foam sanding blocks from our local City Mill hardware store.

I have a light coat of primer surfacer/filler on it now.

I also tried the German sanding system, the green one, with the attachments for sanders, pads, etc., I will post pics/info tonight, and it works great for some of the tight areas.

I have used tape on the seams to protect them so they don't get sanded off and loose the details/lines.

This is a great project, and I hope to finish it... when, I don't know, right Andy?

Rims will be custom, as this will not be a true Miss E, but a mean Mustang John O and I saw at SEMA.

I can't find the pics from that year's show, will have to look some more.

That's what happens when you change puters, you get all Scooby Doo'ed!!!!

ciao for now

Here's a link to the car from a Google search:

http://www.nextautos.com/auto-news/sema-coupe-r-designs-obsidian-900-hp-mustang

And a YouTube video on it:

Guys, this is the first post of what I hope will be an incredible build.

I received the TDR Innovations 1/12 scale Mustang Miss "E" the other day, and all I can say is WOW!

post-3-12789799376754_thumb.jpg

I will be posting pictures along the way, but I wanted to start this thread so I have a reference in the print magazine to point to.

Stay tuned!

Looks cool bro. Nice body and frame. Do u have a eng. for it?

It's Japanese right now: nomomoto

Will scrounge through what I have and see what I can come up with.

Maybe a Ferrari power plant?

Heh, dare to be different, yes?

Why be normal?

Normal ain't right, it's left, left out of the norm.

No, wait, that's Norman... "Heh, Norm!"

What?

Yes, the knife is down, why?

okay, I pau...

C'mon already.........:rolleyes: We need to see this getting built. :D (Gee, ya'd think you had no time for modelling........;):lol: )

Sorry Gregg, I am just having a dig.....no ill meaning intended. ;)

Would these E bodies be suited to the old Revell (Renwall) Mustang kits....? Just a thought.

I have one at the top of my "want list"....just need to finish what I have first. :)

• 2 weeks later...