Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Double Dragster -Tin Edition

Tom Jackson

$35 to $50 for these?The kit looks nice,but thats way to much to pay for the tin,just my oppinion guys,I like the tires they look fairly nice,aside from the offset...................The rest well..........If the parts mentioned were not messed up,then I could see purchasing one,Quality control at Round 2 needs to step up abit!Myself I can't see spending that kind of money for it,Unless your a serious collector...............Steve Ketterer

Ok well as far as historical value of the kits,well it's now 2010,not 1960 or whenever these kits were produced,Instead of WASTING the money to reissue this kit,Well they could have cleaned up some of the molds of significant REAL cars that are more disireable then this ,by far I would have rather seen some of the late 60's and 70's Mopars,and Funny cars of that era reissued,thats just my oppinion,Kudos to those who have bought a few of them,My oppinion,The hobby is becoming extremely boring with stuff that is reissued to extremes,But oh well that is just me...........I'll spend my money on something rare........that isn't an over priced kit that will flop in 6 months!.......I myself am an advid collector and builder...these to me are worth about $20 to me,thats it!

Ok well as far as historical value of the kits,well it's now 2010,not 1960 or whenever these kits were produced,Instead of WASTING the money to reissue this kit,Well they could have cleaned up some of the molds of significant REAL cars that are more disireable then this ,by far I would have rather seen some of the late 60's and 70's Mopars,and Funny cars of that era reissued,thats just my oppinion,Kudos to those who have bought a few of them,My oppinion,The hobby is becoming extremely boring with stuff that is reissued to extremes,But oh well that is just me...........I'll spend my money on something rare........that isn't an over priced kit that will flop in 6 months!.......I myself am an advid collector and builder...these to me are worth about $20 to me,thats it!

Steve,

I couldn't agree more about cleaning up molds of REAL cars, but pretty much everything that has been able to be reissued in the musclecar arena like Mopars, Funny cars, etc, has been reissued. '68-69 Coronets...gone. Early 1970s Dusters...gone. Just do what I do and keep buying and restoring the old stuff.

I see the point of it,It just agravates the heck out of me,That there is so many other tools in the archives,that are just sitting there begging to be reissued,I'll shut up now!............... :D Maybe I'll get one just for an investment!.........So when you guys build yours and can't find one,I'll have one for the taking.........Just Kidding guys!Steve Ketterer

Not being a jerk either Dave,but the wheels in the DD look nothing like Super Tricks. Super Tricks are not flat,they have an outward cove to them. Here's a link to a pair of the street trick wheels on ebay:Cragar SST The Monogram black '66 Malibu street machine had wheels that were very close to Super Tricks.

This Camaro has the exact wheels that are in the DD,only they are chromed. These actually came from an old AMT funny car. They may not be Centerlines,but they are definitely not Super Tricks.

The double dragster wheels are based on the super tricks. Yes the conical center isnt their, but the wheel bolts are the same -15 secure the two halves together.

My only thought is, AMT took the easy way out and just did not do the domed center. Even though the Drag centers aren't domed as much like the Street versions

These are the drag versions. The centers are more gradually domed in the center.

I'm not sure what kit it is, but there has been a accurate set made by mpc/amt/revell/johan, just cant think of which company.

http://static.racingjunk.com/63/ui/8/70/15374708-308-4-VINTAGE-CRAGAR-SUPER-TRICKS.jpg

Edited by RyanSilva

this is the artwork that was on the kit when i originally bought it back in the early sixties:

product.jpg

i was kind of expecting that art on the tin too.

from what i understand this issue will not have the extra parts or decals and in fact may be missing parts from the original release (not to mention likely have the reissue wheels as discussed above). probably the blueprinter release back in a colorful box, that would be my not-connected-to-anyone-important guess.

so for me its a no-brainer, a few more bucks but nice extras and a cool tin to put paint in or something.

i have an old built-up of a rear engined dragster that i don't know who made originally.

Dave

Could that be the Monogram Snake/Mongoose kits? They had some nice spun aluminum looking Supertricks in them. I always liked the Monogram 66 Chevelle S/Ts. They looked real nice. They also put a real nice Motor Wheel "Fly" wheel in the awful 69 Camaro kit.

With regards to those who believe that this 're-issue' was a waste of time......your opinion is duly noted and respected. Now, let me shed some light from the other side of that perspective. I destroyed some of these ORIGINAL kits of my dads when I was young and dumb. Now that I am older and wiser, I am truly glad to have them re-issued so that I might properly enjoy them. At $43.00 for the tin, I thought it was along the current pricing line for individual kits.....no big deal to me expenditure-wise. As to the kit detail level; as stated it is a re-issue of 60s molds, and should be looked at as such. As to the level of build options contained in this kit and the sheer parts content value....this kit delivers!! Potvin blowers, SCOT and Enderle injection, 12 spoke wheels..........the list goes on. I for one am very glad they re-released this kit as they did, with all the extras. Money wasted; not hardly. Will they recoupe what they spent to release this; from my initial reaction and seeing others reactions, I believe they have a hit on their hands. I have purchased one so far, and look to snatch up AT LEAST 2 more before the whole deal is up. My dad had it pretty good in the 60s....these kits may lack somewhat on modern detail level, but they truly make up for that in parts and build variations.

Edited by whale392

Huh. Alright, let's consider that for a minute.

Using an online inflation calculator, you see a roughly 7:1 ratio in 1962:2010 spending power for the dollar. So I guess this double-dragster kit should be available for just under $14, then.

And that 1962 price had to cover new tool amortization.

Of course, it didnt have to cover that lovely new tin, or the added parts, or the expanded decal sheet. It did have the advantage of a much larger 1962 consumer base and distribution network, where you could find plastic model kits nearly anywhere. And it didnt have to contend with auto and tire manufacturers bilking licensing fees from AMT for the dubious privilege of promoting their brands (I swear the fires of eternal perdition will never burn hot enough for the scum-sucking shyster leeches who ever devised such a plan, but thats another story).

Meh, well. Same inflation calculator dictates I should be able to get a new V8 Mustang for around $18,000, and a six-bedroom house in Virginia for around $150,000...

come to think of it, Id like to take a minute to acknowledge those bottom-feeding licensing vampires again, because if it werent for that exact same beady-eyed mindset proliferating big business (The NFL owns "Who Dat"? Oh really?), maybe those figures above wouldnt seem so quaint. Thanks guys! Hey, from the bottom of my ever-loving heart, go pound it sideways, okay?

Dang. That felt good.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Was at the local Chrysler dealer yesterday picking up a part and they had the Mopar magazine in a free box so I grabbed one figuring I could give it to my son. The first page I opened it to had a couple of beautiful Firedomes on em from the '50s This was also in the article.

DSC00961.jpg

It's the exact intake in the Double Dragster kit! Enjoy!

Edited by torinobradley

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance of you scanning the article and posting it on the Spotlight Message board?

I've come across an interesting article on early carbs and intakes if anyone is interested I can post it on Spotlight.

well i was going to do a post about me finding this kit and i forgot about this post well there's one at my LHS

and was in shock when my buddy only wants 43.00 for the kit i am going to grab it this Thursday B) looks like a nice kit to me and the tin is frigging sweet!!!! just wondering how good or bad is detail on this kit???