Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starting out with my first car

Hey guys my names Saif I'm 19 years old from Toronto Canada. I'm new to this hobby so really just absorbing as much as I can. This is what I plan on starting off with.

http://www.modelcars.com/amt-1970-12-chevy-camaro-z28.html

A nice 1970 Chevy camaro. So I got that part done, can someone help me out with what I need next? I was thinking this colour

http://www.modelcars.com/flat-army-olive-all-purpose-enamel.html

It's an enamel, not sure how this works, do I need to buy a thinner to? And would I apply that before or after?

I also plan on getting an enamel black for the decal

Edited by Capone007

Welcome aboard, Saif.

You should look into either the Tamiya or Testors Model Master lines of spray paints first. In order to use the small jar of enamel paint in your link, you would need thinner and an airbrush to apply it to the body, so if you can find the color you want (both the above mentioned companies make ready-to-spray military colors), you don't need the airbrush-- just spray right out of the can. Testors Flat Olive comes in a 3 oz spray can, too:

http://www.testors.com/product/0/1265T/_/Flat_Army_Olive_-_3_oz._Spray_Can

I'm sure someone who is local to Toronto can guide you to a local hobby shop where these paints are stocked.

Welcome aboard Saif. As you can tell from Harry's Google search link, there are many hobby stores in Toronto. Some are specifically geared towards remote control, while others have more of a kit focus. Even amongst the shops that specialize in kits, some have more of an automotive selection than others. It depends on where you live as well. Some of the shops I like:

Wheels and Wings Hobbies - Danforth near Woodbine (east central) * good car selection

Hornet Hobbies - O'Connor south of Eglinton (east central) * improving car selection

Hobby King - Highway 7 east of Woodbine area (east north) limited car selection

Dragon Hobby - Gerrard east of Broadview (central) good car selection

Panther Hobbies & Trains - Dundas west of Highway 427 area (west central) good car selection

Dailey Hobbies - Thickson north of Dundas St E (Whitby) good car selection. There are many more shops in the GTA.

My two favourites are are marked with an asterisk. Hope this helps.

What about a club in the area for him?

Haha feels good that the legal age here is 19 instead of 21 over in the states, but I don't start college until January and don't plan on partying till then anyway

Right now I'm either in the gym or looking for full time work

Haha feels good that the legal age here is 19 instead of 21 over in the states, but I don't start college until January and don't plan on partying till then anyway

Right now I'm either in the gym or looking for full time work

He was referring to a model club.