Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Cup cars are "painted" these days.

2002p51

Teams still use paint as well, Dale Jrs Daytona car was painted, the teams trailers are wrapped now too instead of painted. I dont remember when teams started using the wraps, but I know its been awhile now

They do but it's at a minimum. It takes two days to paint a multi-color scheme, and less than two hours to wrap it in vinyl. Plus the wrap can be removed just as easily making it much easier to do the multiple sponsor changes that have become the norm in recent years.

I don't know when wraps became almost universal, it was more of a gradual acceptance, but I do remember the first cup race I ever covered was in 1983 and the DiGard #88 Gatorade car was painted solid white and all the green panels and other graphics were vinyl. That was also the last year I ever saw a sign painter in the Cup garage.

They do but it's at a minimum. It takes two days to paint a multi-color scheme, and less than two hours to wrap it in vinyl. Plus the wrap can be removed just as easily making it much easier to do the multiple sponsor changes that have become the norm in recent years.

I don't know when wraps became almost universal, it was more of a gradual acceptance, but I do remember the first cup race I ever covered was in 1983 and the DiGard #88 Gatorade car was painted solid white and all the green panels and other graphics were vinyl. That was also the last year I ever saw a sign painter in the Cup garage.

I know , I was just pointing out that there are a few teams still painting vs vinyl

I wish we could do wraps in the model world, decal wise, its close, there is a decal maker that does NASCAR decals , and some pretty much decal sheet is all you need, or do the base color, and the decals do the rest.

Should also point out, that wrapping is just not limited to the race cars, or racing, the teams haulers are now wraps, police departments are using wraps , and so on, its cheaper then painting, and its great for the resale value.

Edited by martinfan5