Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need help, I am building a 1970's funny car and would like to make a set of upper and

lower hard fuel lines. I have made the ones out of black rubber hose but would like to

step up to hard lines. The car I am building is 1/25 scale. If anyone can help I would

greatly appreciate this.

Charlie

Guest G Holding

Check at your local model RR shop, look for brass handrail in bulk, many sizes to choose from. bends easy, paint with metalizers after bending. Small tubing will work for A/N fittings, blue and red clear acrylics will color. Then get your pictures and pliers.

In 1:1, you'd probably be looking at -6 or -8 AN hard-lines for fuel delivery. Probably -8 for a funny car and larger for alcohol. Dash 8 line is nominal 1/2 inch ID, so about 9/16 OD. 9/16" fractional is 0.562 decimal. Divide by 25, you get 0.0225. So, .022 stainless or nickel wire would look correct for a dash 8 (-8) hard line in 1/25 scale.

.022 stainless wire is commonly used for fishing lures and leaders, and also as safety wire in aviation (as well as many other sizes, free if you know an aircraft mechanic). There is .022 nickel welding wire. There's also steel music wire (piano wire...you may be able to get short pieces free if you know a piano tuner). Or, you can use brass and color it, as Greg suggested. Hardware and automotive stores often have silver-colored cheap tie-wire in the correct diameter too.