Model Cars Magazine Forum

60's styled 2005 "RETRO-VETTE" COUPE

E St. Kruiser50

This will be a good year for sure :angry:

Got several new things to start and some other cool projects to finish this next few month's.

There are a wide variety of makes and styles and era's of car's that I enjoy.

This Corvette project has been smoldering for several years in my head, so today as I celebrate the new year, watching a few rented movies, and probably eat WAAAY TOO MUCH :D, I will be hacking and chopping and fitting.

Corvette has evolved over the years into a smoother, sleeker, more high-tech design.

Me, I'm sort of a retro muscle era kinda guy, that like's the bulging "Power" hoods, outside racing exhaust, and "Real Bumpers" ;) , you know, - the chrome one's, and a grill.

So starting today, I'm going to try to blend a span of 40 years, the '68 was the first of this design, to get a more powerful, less sophisticated look. The "Power Bulge" hood, and outside exhaust will be a big part of that.

To keep it up to date there'll be HOK candy gold Paint, and the window/roof area will be all black, including black tinted windows, maybe some carbon fiber on the hood, and some 24 inchers and "Rubber bands" to help keep the "Blend" balanced. We'll see.

Be fun to see if this works.

Have a great day celebrating - dave :huh:

2009_0101Photobucket10065.jpg

2009_0101Photobucket10066.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Are you talking about something like this?

retrovettebronze.jpg

z6retro2.jpg

Well look at that - And I thought I was being original :D .

Once again - twisted minds think alike ;)

I like the "Red Lines" and the "427 Stinger hood" Harry. Don't know if I can get those "Red Lines"on 24 inchers though - LOL

More putty and sanding today - but no hurry, this is for fun.

I'll do some playing on the 34's too.

Thanks for the art work and idea's Harry. Beautiful work as usual. Glad you're part of us - dave ;)

Guest Davkin

Retro styled Vette, very cool idea! BTW, I have seen some pretty big redlines in a diecast kit. I think it was one of those Classic Metal Works kits, maybe the '66 Charger. They might not have been 24" but they were at least 20".

David

I read far too much into the title of this thread B):D;)

I'll go back and hide in my bunker where I belong. Carry on! :P

Oh, great idea for the model :P

Bob - you're a bad boy :blink: .

Didn't think of that 'till I read your post. It is funny though. I got a little giggle out of it.

Now go climb outta the gutter and get back to your modeling ;):D - dave

I like the "Red Lines" and the "427 Stinger hood" Harry. Don't know if I can get those "Red Lines"on 24 inchers though - LOL

Ah, that's the beauty of doing an illustration instead of an actual model. I can make my redlines any size I want! B) You might have a harder time finding them in the "real world"... :blink:

Harry, the RED one with the scoop on the hood ,remindes me BIG TIME of the old Baldwin Motion Phase III Corvettes. I guess by now though, they'd be more like Phase VI 800hp. MONSTERS! Oh well, me can dream! Make it happen Dave, I gottcher back on this one for sure!(I just LOVED those Motion Vettes!) B)

Been workin' on both old and new projects. Nice way to start off the new year. Holidays were great. :D

Started "Eyeballin'" this build a few days ago.

I did this sort of thing off and on during my career and it was always fun, kinda that natural side of me, so this was a challange that I enjoyed.

I decided to start with the front, as this seemed to be the part that would require the most "Creativity" B) .

Anyway, I cut the front off the '69 and started fitting and drawing on the '05, to get the look I wanted.

The '69 is a much narrower car, so it took some "Artistc Tweeking" :D to get things to "Blend", so to speak.

As you can see in the pics, everything went together fine after some "Creative massaging" ;) .

2009_0102Photobucket10061.jpg

2009_0102Photobucket10062.jpg

2009_0103Photobucket10055.jpg

2009_0103Photobucket10056.jpg

2009_0103Photobucket10057.jpg

2009_0103Photobucket10058.jpg

Well, very interesting start Dave, I like the incorporation of the 69 bumper into the nose. Obviously the muscle bulge hood looks great…bulgy hoods just reek of “fastâ€â€¦very cool.

Am I crazy or do I see a little bit of the “Grinch†(third new picture down) in the front of this one? Great start, keep it going!!

Edited by Peter Lombardo

I decided to start with the front, as this seemed to be the part that would require the most "Creativity" B) .

2009_0103Photobucket10058.jpg

I think this shot shows all the massaging paid off. I think you nailed it. The best of both ... everything is beautifully integrated, The shape of the bodywork just above the bumper is especially inspired. And of course we're all envious that you can so readily rechrome the bumper after all that "plastic surgery"!

Whoa Dave! Let me just back up an take this all in!. Man, you figgered this out to the T Dude! Did you have to widen the lower grille peice? How bout the bumper? Man Dave, you gonna hit it outta da park again! And the hood bulge just DOES it!!! :lol::D;)

Thanks George :)

Yeah, it was a little tricky figurin' it all out.

Actually there was no widening of the grill/bumper piece, or the '69 front clip. It's all stock.

I figured out a 'VEWY SEECWATIVE' :lol: (Elmer Fudd) way to make it work ;).

The Tricky Treehugger B)

Hi all :)

Been hackin' an whacken' on the rear of this this thing, and got just a bit of sanding and priming to do and then it'll be time to do the exhaust.

The rear of the '05 is pretty round where the '69' bumpers go, so I flattened that area out using some pieces I cut from the '69 body that also have the '69 smaller round taillights, and adding them on the outside area of the rear end as you can see in the pic's.

The next thing I did was to cut the license plate recess area off the '69 and centered on the '05, as you see in the next pics.

The stock trunk lid with the glass in it, ends between the glass and the end of the trunk, so I filled that area in ,and extended the two trunk lines to the end of the body.

I also filled in the door handles, recesses for locating both outside mirrors, and the gas cap

I'm going to do some fun retro stuff.

Trying to keep these major changes subtle while blending the different body contours, was again the most challanging, while trying to make the changes appealing and believeable at the same time.

I hope all the little retro styling idea's I have planned will help bring all this together - we'll see :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll post more stuff later - dave :D

2009_0105Photobucket10054.jpg

2009_0105Photobucket10053.jpg

2009_0105Photobucket10056.jpg

2009_0105Photobucket10057.jpg

2009_0105Photobucket10058.jpg

2009_0105Photobucket10059.jpg

2009_0105Photobucket10062.jpg

It looks like Dave is going to have some leftover '69 Vette parts when he gets through.

Harry did you a favor with his copmputer drawing. I bet he'd charge a bundle if you asked him to do it, but since it was for fun, we all get to enjoy it.

Thanks, Harry

Gary