Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

YOU Sir, are NOT just a modeler, but an ARTISTE! Once had some clown tell me HE was an Auto REPLICATOR, NOT a builder. Well, compared to YOU, he's a NOTHING! This is gotta be one of THE COOLEST things I've EVER seen done! You got talent up the ol wazoo!!! I am LOVEING this, please don't stop with the tute, it's going GREAT. I can only WISH to do stuff this cool! You see, YOU ARE a Auto REPLICATOR, and NOT just a builder!!! GREAT job,Mate. Are ALL you Oz guys THIS talented??? Check out Greg Armours big scale 69 Pro Mod Camaro. Wats in the water there????????? Love this thread!!!!!

You said it all George!!! WOW!!!

Awesome work so far. Although I am not sure if I'd go that way since there are some Falcon models out there, all race an so on, but I keep thinking that doing something outa nothin' is still more difficult than redoing already existing shapes.

One way or another, grat project and I am looking forward how it'll turn out once on wheels.

I love those cars, have the European versions myself:

pict4887.jpg

This lady is the lamest version with only 75 BHP out of a 1,6 litre Pinto Engine, but it was my daily driver for the past 3 years and almost 50 thousand miles, it was replaced with a Granada Mark I with a bit more power (2,6 litre V6) that I built over the summer:

img_6855.jpg

Since september the black car is my daily driver while the white one waits for a deserved rebuild back to it's former glory.

And there are parts from Granada that'll fit the Falcon. Aussie V8's are plug and play :D...

Edited by Mr.Zombie

WOW!!! Great work for sure....are you going to cast it??? Seems like a lot of wok for just one!!!

Thanks Dave. I will be casting it as I want to make various versions. Especially this one

post-9268-0-55225200-1328938772_thumb.jp

Thanks for your support and kind comments guys. There is still plenty more to show you. such as;

The Roof.

I cut out two basic shapes from evergreen sheet.

p7220694.jpg

i cut the centre out of the bottom roof piece. This will allow me to have the roof curve inwards on the inside.

p7220696.jpg

I glued that to the top piece and filled it with putty and sanded it smooth. You can see the curve if you look at the pencil line.

p8090730.jpg

You can also see the grooves that I scribed near the outside edges that will help locate the roof onto the body. You can see the extra area of styrene above the window frames that will mate up to the roof.

p4220610.jpg

I sanded it to shape and added the rear window blank.

p8190775.jpg

To get the rounded off contour on the roof top I added some thin evergreen sheet sections covered them with putty and sanded to shape.

p8190780.jpg

p8280793.jpg

To be continued..

Cheers

ShawnS

For the tail lights I won't bother doing anything too special. I will just paint some clear orange and red onto the lenses and whack some foil on the back. For the head lights, I cant get away with taking shortcuts so I made some reflectors from parts I found in the spares box and placed them in a box made from evergreen. I will make some lenses for them later.

p7240703.jpg

p7240704.jpg

p7270717.jpg

p7260713.jpg

Then I moved on to the window trims. I used two different width layers of very thin evergreen strip and did around all of the windows.

p1030099w.jpg

p1030092t.jpg

p1030089d.jpg

Made some mirrors too.

p1030187dc.jpg

Mock up.

p1030181h.jpg

To be continued..

Cheers

ShawnS

Got the first coats of primer on to the body. There weren't too many big imperfections but lots of small things that needed touching up.

p1030192i.jpg

p1030191l.jpg

p1030189c.jpg

That's it for the body for now. I now turned my attention to the chassis. That's where the real work and detail commenced.

I wanted to use the chassis from Monogram's Talledega as it had all the detail that I wanted but it was too big for my needs. So I searched through my stash and found a chassis from R/M's '64 Mustang. The Mustang chassis fit with just a few areas that needed trimming but it needed a complete make over.

I removed the rear section and sanded off the detail from the main underbody.

p8090732.jpg

p8090733.jpg

I re-made the whole rear section with different shaped chassis rails that will suit the trailing arm and watts linkage suspension. You can also see the detail returning to the main underbody area.

p8160756.jpg

The spare wheel well was made from a section of a plastic tire from a Fujimi kit and was detailed with some evergreen.

p8150748.jpg

The fuel tank was also made from thick evergreen sheet and was sanded to shape.

p8170765.jpg

Made a heat shield that goes between the tank and the spare wheel well.

p8180772.jpg

p8180771.jpg

Coming up next will be the rear suspension and diff.

To be continued..

Cheers

ShawnS

That car is so boxy it would be easy to scratch build. No, not really.

This is the kind of building I love to see. It is awesome. So much work going unseen here. Not only do you have an eye for the proportions etc. but are putting the work in required to turn out something like this. Really nice. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks all. I'm glad you are enjoying what I'm doing. Incase you are wondering I have never done anything like this project before sometimes i struggle to put a model together let alone build one from scratch so it's one big constant WOW moment for me too.

Let's go crazy with some detail. Starting with the diff. I started with a diff from a 69 Camaro cut it down to the basic shape of the main gear housing and totaly rebuilt it to my needs. To add some extra detail I used some nuts and bolts from T2M.

p9090823.jpg

p9090825.jpg

p9090824.jpg

Then I added the spring cups, the trailing arms and made a watts linkage. The sway bar is a work in progress.

p9110835.jpg

p9110834.jpg

I made the mounting points for the watts linkage on the chassis The springs are just wire.

p9110836.jpg

p9110833.jpg

p9110831.jpg

p9110830.jpg

to be continued...

Cheers

ShawnS