Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 32 Ford "Deuce" 10/27/17 '59 Impala dash!

Foxer

hmmm, the headlights in that position seem to be fighting with the flow of your concept, have you considered mounting those light assemblies to the front fenders below the level of the top of the fender?

kinda like this...

lite-move.jpg

That's interesting. I do see your point though it's probably too late now. For various reasons, one being clearance to the fender, the lights kept moving up little by little. In the end centering them on the body molding looked right but they would have looked good with the tops level with the molding. The fenders didn't want them this low.

Edited by Foxer

I moved on to the back and epoxied the sheet to extend the rear fenders across the back. This was done after some great ideas in a question I posted here asking for recommendations.

It's just gooped with epoxy underneath with a couple sheets of brass over the joint. The curve should get more apparent once further work is done when the glue fully cures and some primer applied.

rear fender epoxy DSC 0895

rear fender epoxyDSC 0891

Edited by Foxer

I really like this, Mike.

For the grille, how about thin styrene rod and made a series of vertical slats, framed with a thin piece of round brass rod (or possibly some wire) bent to the form of the opening, and then applied so it sits flush, using four very small pieces of brass off the side to secure it. Essentially, the grille would install from behind and then the ears would have the appearance/function similar to the ears some real cars use to bolt their grilles in.

I would paint it body-color, or perhaps use stainless steel Metalizer for the finish.

Charlie Larkin

I really like this, Mike.

For the grille, how about thin styrene rod and made a series of vertical slats, framed with a thin piece of round brass rod (or possibly some wire) bent to the form of the opening, and then applied so it sits flush, using four very small pieces of brass off the side to secure it. Essentially, the grille would install from behind and then the ears would have the appearance/function similar to the ears some real cars use to bolt their grilles in.

I would paint it body-color, or perhaps use stainless steel Metalizer for the finish.

Charlie Larkin

That's almost scarey to think about making, Charlie! Just getting some rod to the shape of the grill may be beyond me.

I like your idea of vertical slats, though. I'm thinking about vertical sheets that would complete the rounded shape of the nose. That might be easier to handle. Five slats maybe and .03 or .04 thick that could be molded to the body and body color. Just thinking out loud ... that's a lot of work too.

I was on a run today ... ended with the first primer over the rear end after a little putty for the rough spots. Now I can sit back and ponder tail lights and maybe a bumper. The two body moldings at the trunk sides will be extended to the bottom of the body to break that wide expanse.

And suggestions will be appreciated for tail lights.

rear end done DSC 0896

rear end doneDSC 0904

rear end doneDSC 0903

rear end doneDSC 0901

I'm overjoyed at getting the fender end curved to match so well! :)

Edited by Foxer

But, Mike, you're an engineer, if it's physically and structurally possible, you can make it! :) Just ask my dad (aerospace engineer.)

I was thinking about this and making some refinements to my idea based on your thoughts....take some flat 1/8" wide stock, and notch it similar to the way you'd notch floor joists at the ends to seat on sills. They'll stand well-proud of the rest of the nose, making sanding to shape easy...well, easier. I would suggest using three of four instead of five, as that might fit a rather small opening better visually.

I must say again, though, I REALLY like this. And as you well know, this isn't my type of build, but I think your idea and execution has been super.

Charlie Larkin

That rear looks great, flowin real nice. My first thought for a tail light suggestion would be a long LED tail light across the whole bottom to compliment that long rear. Or maybe two long LEDs on each side and seperate it with a flip down or frenched in plate. Could always make the lights out of old scrap red transparent parts tree. So much you could to with it, look forward to more progress. Keep it comin

Edited by JasonFL

I suggest '66 GTO tail lights in a rolled pan. I also suggest radius-ing the corners of the fenders.

You could also try some graphic design ideas like I did with your head lights...play with a photo of the rear by pasting different tail light ideas on various spots to see what hits the sweet spot.

Here's a shot halfway through framing the tail lights. I have two stand-ins marked red with a sharpie and am bending a triangular extension of the body molding completely around them. The actual tail lights can be seen below made from clear red sprue ... they are not cut to length yet. The rectangular shape seems to reflect the boxy shape of the wide rear end to me. The molding will be sanded and will be body color. I might make a shrouded license plate cover but waiting for the lights to be done to see.

taillights DSC 0906

Edited by Foxer

Here you can see the tail light surrounds better in primer.. I'm happy with these filling in the vast wasteland from the widened fenders.

It's looking more and more like a license plate shroud will be appearing.

Tail Lights DSC 0917

Edited by Foxer

It appears the major bodywork is done. I took a suggestion by Charlie8575 and put 3 vertical slats in the grill opening which will be body color. It was much easier than I thought, but with a lot of sanding and test fits. I like how it looks ... as if I planned it from the start! :lol:

Front DSC 0920

front DSC 0918

front DSC 0919

The license plate shroud got on today also and just needs a little putty to mold in. Just some .02" styrene. The back looks complete now with no big, flat expanses.

L plate shroud DSC 0921

Edited by Foxer

I haven't thought hardly at all about the interior during all this bodywork, so this morning it was time. I knew fitting things in with the fenders welded to the body would be tricky. Everything underneath had been cut back as much as possible to allow the interior to be placed. First was the glass. I cut the AMT glass leaving just the windshield and that fits good with the windshield frame from underneath. The AMT rear and side windows are to wide to fit now and just as well ... I'll cut some new glass to fit the rear and side windows.

The Revell interior sides got 10" cut from the bottoms and fit well. The AMT bucket has plain side panels that don't look that good and the bucket won't go in anyway. The AMT '32 has a rear package shelf while the Revell has the seat right up against the rear of the body. I figured the AMT would look better in the AMT body so I cut the sides off the bucket and sanded until it fit between the Revell sides. That all worked very well and the Revell dash even fits! Eventually it will be a Tan leather color with maybe a little wood if that fits.

interior DSC 0923

Edited by Foxer

This is pretty minor but it's my last primer check after all the little bodywork things were cleaned up ... lower hood rear edges meet the body better, grill touches ( a few areas need some sanding yet from the photos), just the top front of doors need scribing now. The wheels haven't been on for awhile and I fit the engine after these photos. The oil pan hits the road so it needs to be shimmed up little by little. First I need to get a new 3/64 drill bit that fits the engine mount pins. Getting the final fit on the engine all around and all the accessories inside that hood will take a bit of work and my next task.

primer  DSC 0930

primer DSC 0933

It sure looks mean straight on .. :)

primer DSC 0935

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on the SHO engine mostly. I had to relocate it to allow the fan to fit and raise the engine as it was dragging on the ground. This is the air intake with a K&N filter. The pipe out the manifold needed to be longer but it was already superglued in so I just extended it with a plastic tube and another piece of the plant wrapping wire. Most will be tucked under he firewall so it needed to stick out more. I'll probably wrap the tube with wire to simulate rubber.

air filter DSC 0955

The intake tubes on the manifold will be painted with a transparent red over the silver.

Edited by Foxer