Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:18 Yatming 1959 Buick Electra 225

Junkman

pic.jpg

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

The model needs some help.

- the most annoing thing is the silver painted trim around the beltline. This needs to be covered with Bare Metal Foil.

- the interior could be improved with a flocked 'carpet'.

- the grille is way too bling-bling.

Disassembly is very straightforward, the model is simply held together with six screws. Just take them out and the model comes apart.

You can just pull off the front seat cushions, and you will see, that the front seats are screwed on from above:

pic004.jpg

The back seat is screwed on from underneath:

pic005.jpg

Kit builders, eat your heart out!

Each front seat consists of SIX (!!!) pieces, two of which are plated.

The pedal assy is heat riveted in place:

pic007.jpg

Just scrape off the heat riveting from the back with an X-Acto knive and the pedals can be removed.

Out comes a well stocked flocking collection:

pic008.jpg

This colour is already very close:

pic009.jpg

but a bit too dark. It has to be mixed with a dash of light grey:

pic010.jpg

See:

pic011.jpg

Edited by Junkman

For flocking, I brush paint the area I want to flock with semi gloss clear enamel varnish. Select a slow drying one, it stays sticky longer. I then rub the flocking through a tea sieve, let it sit for a few minutes, then shake the excess flocking off. It will not look very convincing at this stage:

pic012.jpg

But all you have to do is stay patient and wait. Once the clear varnish is dry, the appearance will be very uniform and smooth.

The lower portion of the door cards was carpeted too and hence also needs to be flocked:

pic013.jpg

Next is the grille. The entire bumper/grille assy can be removed by cutting away the heat riveting from behind:

pic014.jpg

Please note, that the bumper has neither a mold separation line, nor sink marks, nor was it ever attached to a sprue in a visible location. This is modern industry standard, but according to the model kit industry technically impossible. Bloody ridiculous.

Albeit this isn't apparent at first glance, the grille can be separated from the bumper:

pic015.jpg

Here is the grille after a healthy dose of black wash:

pic016.jpg

A lot more convincing, isn't it? Nay worries, it looks better once the paint has dried flat.

I filled the 'nostrils' in the bumper with black wash too:

pic018.jpg

You can also see that I prepared some Tamiya clear orange. This is used for the indicators. I know, it is factually wrong, but it just looks better. Here is the end result:

pic019.jpg

And this is what the flocked interior looks like when it is back in the car:

pic017.jpg

Entirely btw., the body colour Yat Ming applied does a good job approximating 1959 Buick Lido Lavender Poly:

20359_menges_i-med.jpg

OK, out comes the Bare Metal Foil.

For Bare Metal Foil, I need exactly four tools. My metal ruler, a sharp X-Acto blade, a toothpick, and a Fingernail.

Now, as for the fingernail, if you are a bit challenged in that respect, like I am, they are available in every shop that sells cosmetics...

I got this pack from a pound shop for 1.50:

pic022.jpg

It contains 18 (!) pairs of nails, a tube of Cyanoacrylate glue, and a nice sanding stick, which may come in handy some time.

pic023.jpg

All this for 1.50!

So here I start to apply the foil:

pic024.jpg

The wheelarch trim needs to be foiled, too:

pic027.jpg

pic028.jpg

And this is the end result:

pic029.jpg

pic030.jpg

pic031.jpg

pic032.jpg

pic033.jpg

Certainly not AutoArt, but it will hold its own next to a Sun Star or Highway 61. And all that was necessary are two evenings of work and a few quid in materials.

simply awsom job detailing this fine looking car. i love the color on yours to. my only complaint with a lot of diecast vehicles are those darn dog leg hinges especialy on a convertable. if i don't do away with them altogether i usually paint them flat black. as i was looking at your car i was thinking a little blacking would make those interior dash parts pop a little. :)

Edited by jerseyjunker1

simply awsom job detailing this fine looking car. i love the color on yours to. my only complaint with a lot of diecast vehicles are those darn dog leg hinges especialy on a convertable. if i don't do away with them altogether i usually paint them flat black. as i was looking at your car i was thinking a little blacking would make those interior dash parts pop a little. :)

Those dog leg hinges can only be found on very old toolings. I haven't seen a new diecast with them for at least ten years.

The progress is unbelievable. This Yatming dates back to the 90s and it was a cheap model to begin with. The 'upgrades' I only made so it can be displayed next to more currently released models without looking downright stupid. You should see the latest releases by Sunstar in comparison.

I will go further with this model, it's one of my favourites. Next, I want to paint the entire underside of the body flat black, and this will probably include the doglegs. I also want to paint the interior soft trim to make it less 'plasticky' looking. I may even do something to the engine compartment.

This model is not finished yet!

Those dog leg hinges can only be found on very old toolings. I haven't seen a new diecast with them for at least ten years.

The progress is unbelievable. This Yatming dates back to the 90s and it was a cheap model to begin with. The 'upgrades' I only made so it can be displayed next to more currently released models without looking downright stupid. You should see the latest releases by Sunstar in comparison.

I will go further with this model, it's one of my favourites. Next, I want to paint the entire underside of the body flat black, and this will probably include the doglegs. I also want to paint the interior soft trim to make it less 'plasticky' looking. I may even do something to the engine compartment.

This model is not finished yet!

old model or not its a great looking car. i can't wait untill you finish it as it looks so great now. :) by the way i realy like the way you do your flocking looks exactly like the real carpeting would. B)

• 4 weeks later...