Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 2'n1 Special Edition

Casey

You are so right, just like it costs exactly the same amount of money to get a magazine to the printers on time and without errors, as it does late with typos, but as we all know sometimes defecation occurs, and faulty product gets released to the public.

You really can't compare typos to the complete mess up of this body Darin. Granted Darin the car may be the same height as the other 1/25 examples but all that means is that the greenhouse is compressed by moldings & too high body above the belt line instead of being chopped but the end result is the same, the body is very off.

Some people have touched on it saying that Revell/older modelers don't care about the LX because it is a late model subject. Maybe passion is what is missing at Revell. I'm not saying the entire crew on any given project has to be head over heals for it but at least 1 maybe 2 passionate people could make all the difference in the process. Lack of passion shows itself, Darin admitted he could care less about the LX & that shows in the conversion he did for Reliable, sorry buddy. I'm not trying to call you out by any means Darin, I appreciate your passion for Revell so please appreciate our passion about the body being off.

You really can't compare typos to the complete mess up of this body Darin. Granted Darin the car may be the same height as the other 1/25 examples but all that means is that the greenhouse is compressed by moldings & too high body above the belt line instead of being chopped but the end result is the same, the body is very off.

Some people have touched on it saying that Revell/older modelers don't care about the LX because it is a late model subject. Maybe passion is what is missing at Revell. I'm not saying the entire crew on any given project has to be head over heals for it but at least 1 maybe 2 passionate people could make all the difference in the process. Lack of passion shows itself, Darin admitted he could care less about the LX & that shows in the conversion he did for Reliable, sorry buddy. I'm not trying to call you out by any means Darin, I appreciate your passion for Revell so please appreciate our passion about the body being off.

It is very much the same. It is called holding yourself to the same standard you hold others to. Day in and day out, we all do our best, and many days our best comes up short. Weather it's printing a magazine, designing a model kit, paving a street or flipping burgers, nobody is perfect, and every process has it's limitations. I never said the model was correct, but demonizing Revell and it's designers, doesn't help your case. Perhaps if there was a little less "there's no excuse for getting it wrong", and a little more "Can we humbly suggest some changes" you might get a more timely response from Revell..

It shouldnt matter what the subject is, its should be done correctly, or as correct as doing something in scale can be made, but once again, Revell shows they really dont care , and thats what this says.

Edited by martinfan5

Perhaps if there was a little less "there's no excuse for getting it wrong", and a little more "Can we humbly suggest some changes" you might get a more timely response from Revell..

Actually it had/has been stated to Revell that way also. They have been told since the first test shots were revealed but it appears to have fallen on deaf ears.

If enough of you guys voice your opinion directly to Revell, they will get the message.

Posting comments on Facebook doesn't cut it, you're just another face in the crowd, just more background noise. You need to contact Revell directly... email, phone call, or even old-fashioned letter, and make your opinion known in a calm and rational manner. The more customers who are not happy with this kit they hear from, the better the chances that they'll try to do a better job next time. No guarantees, of course, but you have to make your feelings known to them, and you have to do it the right way.

It is very much the same. It is called holding yourself to the same standard you hold others to. Day in and day out, we all do our best, and many days our best comes up short. Weather it's printing a magazine, designing a model kit, paving a street or flipping burgers, nobody is perfect, and every process has it's limitations. I never said the model was correct, but demonizing Revell and it's designers, doesn't help your case. Perhaps if there was a little less "there's no excuse for getting it wrong", and a little more "Can we humbly suggest some changes" you might get a more timely response from Revell..

Darin, I don't understand why you are trying so hard to prove a point here? If your happy with the kit then why are you constantly trying to keep us from voicing our opinions. If we're not happy with the kit, don't we have the right to say something about it?? Every time someone posts a valid point you get on a mission to discredit them. Why? Are you trying to change all of our minds on how we view this kit? It's not going to happen. Was that post you made on Facebook really necessary? What good does it do to put Jason down???? It seems like all your wanting to do is cause an argument here. All of us that are unhappy with the kit are giving our review of it. We're not happy with it. If you are, that's all you have to say. Quit defending Revell like you have stock in the company. You've made your point. We all know how you feel. No need to keep repeating it every other post.

If enough of you guys voice your opinion directly to Revell, they will get the message.

Posting comments on Facebook doesn't cut it, you're just another face in the crowd, just more background noise. You need to contact Revell directly... email, phone call, or even old-fashioned letter, and make your opinion known in a calm and rational manner. The more customers who are not happy with this kit they hear from, the better the chances that they'll try to do a better job next time. No guarantees, of course, but you have to make your feelings known to them, and you have to do it the right way.

Thats what I have been trying to say, and have said a few times

Darin, I don't understand why you are trying so hard to prove a point here? If your happy with the kit then why are you constantly trying to keep us from voicing our opinions. If we're not happy with the kit, don't we have the right to say something about it?? Every time someone posts a valid point you get on a mission to discredit them. Why? Are you trying to change all of our minds on how we view this kit? It's not going to happen. Was that post you made on Facebook really necessary? What good does it do to put Jason down???? It seems like all your wanting to do is cause an argument here. All of us that are unhappy with the kit are giving our review of it. We're not happy with it. If you are, that's all you have to say. Quit defending Revell like you have stock in the company. You've made your point. We all know how you feel. No need to keep repeating it every other post.

I'm not defending Revell or saying you can't express your opinions, but just as Harry said, I think you should tone down the rhetoric, get rid of the all caps, and calmly state specifically, directly to Revell, the changes you feel are necessary. Saying that they don't care or that people should be fired etc, doesn't make you seem like serious customers, it makes you look like raving lunatics working yourselves up into a frenzy over a toy car.

I'm not defending Revell or saying you can't express your opinions, but just as Harry said, I think you should tone down the rhetoric, get rid of the all caps, and calmly state specifically, directly to Revell, the changes you feel are necessary. Saying that they don't care or that people should be fired etc, doesn't make you seem like serious customers, it makes you look like raving lunatics working yourselves up into a frenzy over a toy car.

Now I do agree with you on this! If you notice, I've never said anything negative about Revell. They are one of my most favorite model companies. I would never want anyone to lose thier job over something so trivial as a model kit as well. I even made a secondary post on Facebook asking everyone to keep the posts civil as the intent is not to bash Revell but simply to voice our opinion on something we're not happy with. The body is the only thing in this kit I'm not happy with. The rest of the kit is beautiful!!!!!!!! I was really enjoying building it! I just wish Revell would take into concideration that there are many, not just me that are unhappy with the body and maybe, just maybe they will consider redoing it. Maybe they won't? It never hurts to try to convince them though.

Ok... after 30 pages (!!!), I think I'm going to put this one to bed. Not because anybody did anything wrong, but because A, we've dissected this topic about as thoroughly as can possibly be done, and B, I don't want to have to keep checking it to see if it's gone off the rails (again). And I'm sure Casey feels the same way.

We've all had the chance to chime in and voice our opinions, pro and con, so it's not like I'm not letting everyone have their say. I think 30 pages of comments pretty much sums up all of our opinions on this topic.

If you would like for Revell to hear your opinions on this kit, I suggest you contact them directly (see post 589).

Now on to the next kit! :D

• 6 months later...

I'm going to put this one to bed because I don't want to have to keep checking it to see if it's gone off the rails (again). And I'm sure Casey feels the same way.

I unlocked it, so hopefully we won't need to ensure it stays on topic.

I was just told the instruction sheet shows the car with Pony wheels and after looking at the instruction sheet, sure enough, it does:

lxwheels.jpg

The upper half was housed from the top page of the instruction sheet, and pasted above the image on the bottom half of the last page, but does the kit really include four #15 decals, as pictured? Maybe this was mentioned before and I missed it.

As I understand it, the plan was to have the Pony wheels, but with the combination of interior details and other stuff made the car too old to have been sold with the Pony wheels, so it has the telephone dial wheels.

I don't know if they were tooled up or not, but they were there in the design phase, so they have probably at least been mastered. They'll probably show up in a future variant of the tooling, I'm sure Revell will get their money's worth out of this one.

As I understand it, the plan was to have the Pony wheels, but with the combination of interior details and other stuff made the car too old to have been sold with the Pony wheels, so it has the telephone dial wheels.

I don't know if they were tooled up or not, but they were there in the design phase, so they have probably at least been mastered. They'll probably show up in a future variant of the tooling, I'm sure Revell will get their money's worth out of this one.

They had the inverse problem too, as the kit was originally marketed as a '92, but without the Pony wheels being in the kit, the last year the Rotary Phone wheels were available on the civilian (non SSP) Mustang was 1990.

It's mainly the interior, the base 4 cyl/police/5.0 LX interior with the phone dial wheels could be either the civilian '90, and no later, or the police version to '93. No police car ever had the Pony wheels, and no civilian '91-'93 pony wheel equipped car ever had the base seats/interior; all had the sport seats and tweed upholstery. '91-'93 civilian 5.0 LXs were only equipped with the Pony wheels, the phone dials those years were police/SSV only.

Also, the kit has no door panel pockets, which were added in '90, so the door panels are not correct for the '90 anyway. So to make it a correct '91-'93, the Pony wheels will have to be added with wider, lower profile tires, the seats and upholstery will have to be changed, and the door panel pockets will have to be added.

-MJS

Interesting. I guess we'll find out when the next version is announced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Despite all the complaining, I like this kit. I'm no Mustang expert, but over all the kit looks fine to me. More accurate than many models offered in the past. I'm building a phantom MN state trooper car. Minnesota ran some unmarked Mustangs, but mine's going to be a maroon cruiser with white doors, full markings and lights. It make not be correct. But it's what I want. And Revell's Mustang will work just fine for what I want.

Uncle Scott

• 8 years later...

I wasn't a regular here back during all the hullabaloo surrounding this kit. Glad I missed it, although for some reason I just subjected myself to reading all 19 pages of content. I can't imagine what was in the 11 pages worth of content that were deleted.

Now I know why this is the "kit that won't be named" around here. The only reason I even investigated this thread was after following along with Dennis excellent build and news of the reintroduction of the corrected resin body to see what I'd be dealing with if i did decide to purchase the currently available drag version of this kit.

• Haha 1