Model Cars Magazine Forum

I saw the international transtar 4300 kit and thought "that is what some plow trucks are" like the one below

photo-1.jpg

but i just found out that the plow trucks are international 2554 not transtar 4300

so i was just wondering what is the difference between international transtar 4300 and international 2554

The International Transtar 4300 is a recently re-issued kit and can be found for $30 while the older International 2554 (and 2654) kits are harder to find and more expensive, like big $$$$!

Okay, kidding aside, I believe it is the way they are optioned and type of axles and drivetrain that is ordered with them. Resident International expert Cargostar can probably better explain it.

The 4300(4270 and the like) was a bigger tractor, the cab is different and the hood larger and longer. It was the bigger truck for hauling which shared a cab to a paystar which was a heavy duty on/off base chassis

the S and F series were based more on vocational - delivery trucks, single axle dump trucks,school buses etc.

Having smaller hoods and cabs, granted there are always options for dual axle, wider cab i believe, set back axles etc

Im sure there is more to it and I think I have most of it somewhat correct, Dave can correct me!