Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1940 Custom Pick Up--Coming Soon

Dr. Cranky

If you want a modern (and much better detailed) chassis, one from any Revell '37 Ford kit _ sedan, coupe or cabrio _ will fit essentially without modification. This swap also will provide you with a Corvette IRS, Mustang II IFS and a means of putting a small-block Chevy under the hood. If I was doing this swap, I'd try to grab the latest issue of the of '37 coupe, which has a well-done TPI intake setup for the SBC, to use as the donor kit.

Sacrelidge!! :P

Use the 37' Ford truck chassis!!

• 2 months later...

Just picked up this kit the other day, so here's a quick reveiw of what's the same, and what's been changed from earlier releases.

2592902780092261295S425x425Q85.jpg

Here's what's in the box.

2516669220092261295S425x425Q85.jpg

For those who have built this kit in the past (this will be my 4th one), there's no major suprises. I only saw flash on 1 tree, and it was minor.

For those unfamiliar with this kit, it is a reissue of an old Monogram tool. This version is essentially the same as the last few reissues. The chassis is typlical Monogram, simplified, easy assembly, but still reasonably accurate. The suspension is stock transverse spring, with a drop axle and 4 bar setup on the front. Rolling stock are still the same Centerline 10 hole/ARE Outlaw style wheels from the last few reissues, but the tires are no name with smooth sidewalls. The fronts are the tires from the Nova kits, rears appear to be the old Monogram Goodyear Radial GT tires that were used in most of their musclecar kits, but with the sidewall markings removed.

The engine is a Flathead V8, with molded on exhaust, starter, distributor, and transmission. The heads are finned aftermaket peices. The intake is a 3 carb, using what appears to possibly be Stomberg 97s, though they may be Holly 94s. The heads and intake system are chrome. Other underhood details include a 2 peice radiator with a 2 peice crhome upper tank, a chrome Beehive oil filter, and 2 chromes upper radiator hoses.

The body is now molded in white, rather than the red of the recent issues. Fitment appears to be good. The kit still retains the louvered hood and tailgate. The stakes for the bedsides are also still present. New to this kit is a tonneu cover for the bed, I beleive this part to have been restored to the kit, as I have seen a past issue with the same cover. no changes on the interior, it's still has the diamond pleated seat and door panels, along with the pleated headliner. Engraving looks very good.

2109004760092261295S425x425Q85.jpg

The decal sheet is all new (sorry for the blurry pic, not sure what happened). Included are a set of flames, wood decals for bed and stakes, separate "chrome" skid strip decals, whitewalls for the tires, Ford and V8 scripts in black and white, guage faces for both round aftermarket style gauges as well as a stock style guage panel, 2 California license plates (1 vintage, 1 current), and a set of door/tailgate/ front license plate decals for "Motor Junkies Speed Shop".

Overall, it's nice reissue of an very good kit, possibly one of Monograms best automotive offerings in 1:24 scale. Would have been better if the wheels had been changed to something more in line with current rodding trends (steelies w/baby moons or perhaps vintage Halibrands), and perhaps adding stock type non louvered hood and tailgate.

Very good review... thanks for doing this. I have this kit (picked it up on a whim many years ago). The version I got has Monogram box art and is cast in white. The rear tires actually have Goodyear logos on them so the version I have is after the switch to white plastic but before the removal of the logos. Interesting kit with some really neat possibilities. I wonder how many of the Revell 40 Ford parts could be swapped in? (Scale difference noted)... Also considering the flat headlights from the old AMT kits as well... some real possibilities here for sure...

Thanks Again for the Review!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Bill; many years ago i did the same with AMT '40 parts to backdate the suspension; with a little fudge work and some styrene, the axles will restore the truck's ride height, but the wheels are still terribly small for a truck. the Revell stuff may work better and, to get the right size wheels, i'd go for the ones from the '50 Ford f1 pickup. putty and sanding will remove the pleated interior detail.

i also sanded off the louvers from the hood on mine. while it would be sooo nice if Revell provided stock parts for this kit, it never had them; and it's not too terribly hard to scratch up what's needed. i have a set of chrome reverse wheels and tires from the Revell '49 Merc that i'm saving to use on this kit.....

One of my all time favorite model kits! I think that is because it was one of the first models I put togther as a kid ALL BY MYSELF!

No help from mt dad or uncle. All me! So it holds a fond place in my heart.

I picked up a old red tooling a few years ago off ebay. I have it stashed away for now, butI kitbashed a 32 Ford for the wheels, hubcaps, and tires, and kitbashed a derilict AMT 40 Ford coupe for the taillights and a few other pieces. Hope to get it built soon! Mild Rat Rod truck!

• 3 weeks later...

The Monogram kits from that era were truly works of art ! The colors used in molding the kits ie: '40 Pick up turquois, Blue Beetle blue, Lil' Coffin purple especially come to mind. To say nothing of the mutiple colored parts in the box, white walls etc...

I

Edited by Pete L.