Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Pro Shop '57 Chevy Bel Air

ImpalaBoy

Thanks! Do you plan on bringing yours to the workbench soon? It really is a great kit. Aside from the Tamiya Ferrari Enzo I almost forgot I started, this the next best kit I've ever put together!

It's in the queue between the next model and sometime before I die...yours is inspiring a bump in line though!

I confiscated the hubcaps and tires from the Revell kit because the white walls are so much more accurate. I will also be using the decals from Revell and possibly the hood spears as the chrome plating in this kit isn't too smooth on those parts (and those parts only, fortunately!)

I drilled holes so I can use the knockoffs from AMT and masked the lips so I could paint them red. I'd say they came out pretty clean!

post-11411-0-78062700-1376185427_thumb.j

Oh, I guess that hole isn't quite perfectly centered, but I'll take care of it once I put the knockoffs on!

PS: To those of you with the non Proshop kit: Does the decal sheet in yours come with the grill emblem? Mine didn't, which is the main reason I'm using the decals from the Revell kit. Well, that and the Revell one also comes with the gauge faces.

Edited by ImpalaBoy

Made some progress the last couple days. I got all the suspension components painted, so I'll let them dry a couple days before I assemble that, as I tend to get finger prints in some gloss and semi-gloss things if I try to work too quickly. I've been doing this almost 5 years and I'm still working on the whole patience thing :P Something weird I noticed while painting the front springs is that they aren't actually coils. I can only assume it's a molding defect, but fortunately it's the kind of thing that's impossible to notice unless you inspect the piece carefully. The rear end is very nicely molded, with distinct brake lines and U-bolts that were easy to detail. All interior parts are in a base coat of red, waiting for me to get a new can of flat black to get them detailed. Interior carpeting will be black, which will make the red seats really pop. I ordered flocking for that today, so it won't be here for a few days. Please wish me luck with that, as this will be the first time I've ever used flocking. I'm looking forward to seeing how it will come out!

post-11411-0-91216700-1376893173_thumb.j

post-11411-0-47563900-1376893209_thumb.j

post-11411-0-15154900-1376893251_thumb.j

post-11411-0-06411000-1376893290_thumb.j

post-11411-0-60920600-1376893329_thumb.j

This is really nice work Andrew. Its going to be a cracking '57 when complete. Thanks for the kit review in your first post - I was not aware of this kit. I have the ordinary AMT 57 and I bought a MCG photo etch sheet to go with it. If only I knew I could just get this kit! Good luck with this - I'm looking forward to seeing it complete. I especially like the extra detail work on the engine and those fuel tank straps from BMF.

This is really nice work Andrew. Its going to be a cracking '57 when complete. Thanks for the kit review in your first post - I was not aware of this kit. I have the ordinary AMT 57 and I bought a MCG photo etch sheet to go with it. If only I knew I could just get this kit! Good luck with this - I'm looking forward to seeing it complete. I especially like the extra detail work on the engine and those fuel tank straps from BMF.

Thank you, glad you like it! When I got it I didn't really have much information about it myself, so I figured I'd give as detailed a review of it as I could for others who may be looking to get one. The MCG P.E. set is has more details than the one that came in this kit, but it's made for the oldest AMT '57 kit, so some parts don't fit quite right, so I've heard. So good luck with yours too :)

Gray primer with body color overspray

That's what I did with my '58 Impala since I didn't feel like buying red oxide primer at the time, but the overspray on it doesn't look very good. I'm sure yours looks much better since you have an airbrush. I look forward to seeing more pictures!

i know it's been argumented a milion times ..and not much photo's of 'new' unrestored 57 excist

but they were supposed to have bodycolour overspray...

this is how i did mine..(1/12 ancient Monogram kit).

That chassis looks really sharp! Got any pictures of the finished product (if it is finished?) I've tried replicating factory overspray before, but it's just about impossible to do well with just a spray can.

That chassis looks really sharp! Got any pictures of the finished product (if it is finished?) I've tried replicating factory overspray before, but it's just about impossible to do well with just a spray can.

it is finished for a while now (check Big Boys section under my topic)

and altough my kit is a lot bigger then 1/24-25..i just used the same 2 pack paint for the chassis as i did for it's body

i just used my airbrush instead of my normal jambgun for the chassis and just mistcoated the egdes and wheelwells..after i painted the whole chassis in red oxide primer

it probably isn't completely 'in scale' but it does the trick..i guess with a spraycan it's not possible

like your kit by the way..keep it up

Thanks for the input and compliments, guys! I haven't gotten much done the last few days, as I'm still waiting for my flocking to show up and I sort of got sidetracked by an antique clock I got at a thrift store that I'm taking a whack at restoring. Anybody want to see a couple pictures of that, even though it's not automotive related?

Nice work. Thanks for posting all the pix and description of the kit as well...I didn't realize it had a separate frame, etc. etc., and just assumed it was an extra-content version of the old-tool, molded-in-exhaust version.

Bill, I was shocked when I bought one of this kit, it is beautifully done to say the least! The only issue I've ever had with this kit is the trunk lid...it has a bow in it, which causes it to be raised at the center where it meets the tulip panel. It's not an issue if you build it with the trunk displayed open, which is always an option with this kit. There's also a Street Machine version (Blue model on the box) which comes with a mini-tubbed chassis, some different parts for the engine, rims, slicks, different frame & exhaust, fuel cell, and a quasi-four link rear end. Both are hidden gems that didn't sell very well, probably due to the fact that most people didn't know it was an all-new tooling.

Edited by Custom Mike