Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was wondering what you guys that make your own decals use for the paper? My wife is a graphic designer and said she'd have no problem making mine but I don't know what type of paper to get or where to get it. If I can find it I may just make my own Midnite Express decals and call it a day!

Well, there is a lot different decal paper you can use, you have to get the right paper for your printer, either ink jet, or laser printer.

For the most part stay away from testor's decal paper, I do use it sometimes, but for the most part it sucks, if the surface is not flat, it does not want to stay down. The only upside is I get it at Hobby Lobby using the 40% off coupon.

When doing your own decals, make sure you clear coat them before use, any clear coat will work, I keep a can of krylon clear on hand to use for decals

Not sure if you know this, but house hold printers can not print white, so if need white, you have to get the white decal paper.

There are two main choice's clear and white decal paper.

Here are a few links

http://www.micromark...ecal-paper.html

http://www.bare-meta...Decal-Film.html

Edited by martinfan5

I have the opposite problem, Testors works perfectly for me, unless I try to print black, but BMF paper won't work at all exept for the first 1 1/2" of the sheet that goes through the printer. Seems the printing will not stick to the sheet.

I've never tried Micromark.

I have the opposite problem, Testors works perfectly for me, unless I try to print black, but BMF paper won't work at all exept for the first 1 1/2" of the sheet that goes through the printer. Seems the printing will not stick to the sheet.

I've never tried Micromark.

I have been using testors latley, just easier to go to hobby lobby and buy it there vs ordering on line, and the only problems I have is getting the decal paper to stay stuck to the model after its dry, I know clear coating will take care of that

I've used some from a place online papilio.com i used it for a nascar build some license plates and a custom Xbox build. the decal itself is nice n thin. gel-based paper. gotta clear it alot to get your ink to stick tho.

i completely forgot about that that sucks

If you paint the truck black, there could be two ways to go:

1. Cut a stencil to paint the shape of the logo in gold on the doors, then print out the decal with black ink on clear decal paper.

2. Print the black logo on gold paper and cut it out as an appliqué.

I have trieds all the brands and the best paper by far is Supercal Decal paper. I use Papilio's flexible decal sealant to seal the ink. The paper in the Testors kit comes from decal paper.com which also goes by several other names as well. All junk in my opinion.

When sealing the ink, DO NOT USE Krylon. Your decals will be usuless within a few days. The Krylon will crack which will result in the ink bleeding. Trust me on this one.

I have used the decal paper from Bare metal foil with pretty good results . I have a ink jet printer so I don't really know how the Laser paper might react . Generally only the commercial copiers are laser anyway .I have been on the phone lately with a company in Texas called Papilio.

http://papilio.com/

Try them ............ Ed Shaver