Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod and Spare parts build!

'08SEAL

Just as the title says. This is just for fun. If there is any sign of fighting, I will close the topic.

Rules:

Your model has to be finished by the end of August. You can start when ever you want.

Has to be styrene. NO DIECAST!

Must have 3-4 wheels.

Shiney, rusty, or inbetween. (flats, bare plastic, etc.)

Anything is available on the model. Just remember, this is a Rat Rod or spare parts build.

I will pick the judges and will give notification to the judges, including me, and you builders. If one of the judges is going to build a model, they cannot pick their model. We will judge by, originality, paint, usage of parts, skill level, and age. I would expect more from the expert model builders than a 12 year old.

Any body, any year, any engine. Anything.

Give me a PM notification or post here if you are going to join.

Have fun!

Participants:

RattleCan

Brendan30

Blazefox

Chuck Most

Tjones87

Bartster

Trav321

Outlaw035

Wagoneer81

'08SEAL

Bobthehobbyguy

CorvairJim

Judges:

Dr. Cranky

'08SEAL

Diymirage

Edited by '08SEAL

i wont be building this (have only one rat rod and it is about halfway build so i supose its not allowed?)

so i volunteer to judge :)

i shall be fair, but ruthless ;)

oh, here is my ratrod as it sits

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzItMjAxMTAyMDYtMjIwMC5qcGc.jpg

YOu can use your rat rod. Its fine with me. If anyone has a problem with it just pm me.

Heh! I just finished a small dragster that fits this build perfectly! I used a Revell Parts Pack drag chassis, a SOHC inline six from an MPC Pontiac Firebird, a 4/71 supercharger and bits from the partsbox... It was actually built for a 'What were you thinking' themed model club build.

I have another revell frame and a partspack 283 and was seriously considering building another... I'll do that for this build. Count me in as well! I'll post a pic of the six-shooter and the beginning components of the new build here in just a bit.

*EDIT* Here we go, it's been 'just a bit' and I did get my butt in gear, snapped and loaded some pics...

This is the one I just finished...

2v92fzo.jpg

333de85.jpg

...And this is what I''ll start with next. Just like the last one, everything else will come from the parts box...

25q3b5g.jpg

I think I'll use the front mounted supercharger option... Those just look neat!

I've had these in my stash for several years now... It's high time to put them to good use!

Edited by Wagoneer81

I assume this CBP is taking after the "Scrapple Sandwich" idea put forth in another Forum thread, right? Is it kosher to use "Parts pack"-type parts like Chris shows above? I was thinking more along the lines of spares and leftovers from other builds, with a smattering of junk from old models that have gone the way of all things - destroyed by kids or pets, etc. I have all sorts of stuff for something like this, not only from my own projects but from a huge bunch of stuff I got from a guy who was getting out of the hobby about 10 years ago. Grab a little of this, a pinch of that, a body from some other kit, tires from the ol' tire box, stir it up real well, and see what comes out!

Count me in. I'll see what I can throw together in between my other committments... The gears are a'turnin' in my head! :blink:

Is it kosher to use "Parts pack"-type parts like Chris shows above?

Well, if it isn't, I may have to bow out of this build.... Not out of spite or anything like that but for mainly, resource purposes. I'm working on a large parts box build for the Post-Apoc Community build that will consume a lot of my surplus parts... It's about half-way down page 85 if you want to check it out.

Jim, I had the same question rolling around in the back of my mind when I originally posted so, Lane, what's the verdict? :rolleyes:

*EDIT*

Now that I look back and read this thread again, Lane added my name to the list after I posted my intent to use the two parts packs, so I think everything 's kosher. Parts is parts, Ehh? Heh... I seem to have talked myself through a full circle here... I'll blame the pain meds. I think it's nap time...

Edited by Wagoneer81

You can drop out if you want to. You do know that right?

True, but all I was commenting on was that I am running out of ideas from the parts box ... no worries! :DB) That's one of the reasons I was planning to use these packs. :) The question was if the parts packs were ok to use for the build... That's the verdict I was waiting on. As I typed before I really thought about it, I realized that you put my name on the list AFTER I mentioned using the parts packs. So what I mentioned at the beginning of post #14 is kinda moot and no longer relevant... I guess I shoulda edited that part after I really thought about it and edited the post for the first time... :rolleyes: So, to clarify and answer CorvairJims question, the Parts Packs are ok to use for this build, correct?

Since your entry was OK'd before I posed the question, I'd assume you're good to go too. I hadn't paid attention to that aspect beforte I made that first post. I guess it comes down to what Lane says. It's his game. Hey, I'm easy to get along with, so if the "Parts Packs" make it easier for you to build for the CBP, Chris, I say GO FOR IT... if that's Lane's decision... :huh:

think I can get something built by June...I'm in for sure...Have been planning this type of build for quite some time now :) so far this is what I have for the build. i am expecting alot of parts in the mail withing the next 2 weeks that will contribute to this build...planning on a scratch built frame and the rest out of parts box, if thats cool?...thanks

DSCN2938.jpg

Edited by tjones87

I'm in. I just started slicing & dicing leftovers from VERY pirated kits of a Prowler snap kit and an '05 Chrysler 300. Not a rat, but nothing purchased for it. No telling what drive train, frame etc. I will come up with yet!

Edited by Bartster

To get technical, the thread title and 1st post would suggest new parts could be used on Rat Rods but other styles must use leftovers or parts box bits only. Doesn't matter at all to me, just saying that's how it reads.

If you wanna get REAL technical, these parts packs are 'spare parts' ;). They're sitting in the stash not doing anything, just like every other kit supplied part that they keep company with. ;) This is a model build, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that we're ok and start this beastie! *Insert 'Thumbs-Up' emoticon here*

i dont know Bart...the way i see it, if it is a complete kit (regardless if its a vehicle or a parts pack) it is not in the partsbox

im stricktly talking about the partsbox build, not the ratrod

case 'n point, if i were to use the left over 426 hemi from my 68 charger i would be within the rules of the build

on the other hand, if i were to use a 427 cammer partspack engine then i would NOT be within the limitations of the build because its a new kit

maybe we should mention that in our introduction to the build because it will effect the way i will judge the entree :)

What if you used the 427 cammer but used a different intake set-up out of the parts box ? It seems the rules will need to be very precise & strict or very loose & laid back. Either way it's an "honor system" situation. I have no business buying anything with all the extra parts I have. I'm quite certain nearly everyone has more than I. I will go by whatever you decide. It can be easy or hard but above all it should be fun!