Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coventry Motors Cobra, ‘56 Ford F-100 BBW PU & trailer

Phildaupho

I made posts previously about the Cobra

On the workbench http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66468&hl=

Under Glass

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66929&hl=

More photos at

http://public.fotki.com/phildaupho/models_of_sports_cars/allen-grant-cobra-c/

To replicate the truck I used the currently available Revell Ed Roth ’56 Ford. I remember attempting this kit back when it was new in the early sixties. I recall that it was much more detailed and fiddly compared to the AMT and Johan kits I was used to. I am not even sure if I ever finished it. At the time I think it had small easily broken plastic pins to attach the wheels rather than the more common for the era metal axles. Even by today’s standards, for an almost half a century old kit, this ’56 Ford is surprising detailed. But I am not sure that it lives of to the old adage that it is only as good as the sum of its parts. The individual the parts and assemblies are really quite nice. I found they just did not go together as a whole all that well. It was fiddly then and still is.

For this project the cab was converted to the big rear window version, which is trimmed with Evergreen, round styrene and has very thin plastic film “glass”. The kit has opening doors, which I wish more kits had but I glued the doors closed to add strength while opening up rear window. The pickup bed floor was separated from the box, as was the dash from firewall for easier painting. Many parts were de-chromed. The front bumper is rubber-covered wood and the side mirror converted from round to rectangular. I tried the dropped front axle but with the stock height rear, there was too much forward rake. In retrospect, I the truck would have looked better lowered at both ends. Because I had to use a fair amount of glue to get the running gear set there was no turning back once the “stock” stance was set. The decals were made with the Testor’s program and I used some images obtained from the Internet like the emblems and 1963 license plates. The trailer is the Round2 reissue of MPC ’76 Chevy Caprice with rope and chain from a model sailing vessel.

In the first photo, the models are posed just as the real vehicles in front of the Shelby building in Venice California for the photo by Dave Friedman which appears in his book COBRA The Shelby American Original Archives 1962-1965. Standing beside the truck are Ole Olsen and Allen Grant.

Really nice job, Phil!

I've been interested in doing a Cobra in the Coventry Motors livery for a while now. Did you make your own decals for the Cobra as well as the pickup?

Congrats on a great couple of models.

Thanks Larry it was a fun project as I have been to Allen Grant's garage in Squim Washington and saw his full scale replicas.

Yes I made my own decals except for the Ford lettering and V-8 on grill. I use the Testors decal program.