Model Cars Magazine Forum

The start of something big. March 4/07

Mr. Can Am Garage

DSCF4501-vi.jpg

About 10 years ago, MRC released this garage kit. The details are real nice but the building it's self is way too small to be realistic.

So that was why I build the original Jackson's Garage which eventually turned into The Can Am Garage.

Well, it's time to get back to basics and Jackson's Texaco is going to be it. It's being built to serve two purposes - One as a photo backdrop for exterior shots and Two - As a proper diorama that I can take to model shows/contests.

jacksonsgarage-vi.jpg

Original sketch for the exterior photo backdrop concept.

jacksonsgarage001-vi.jpg

This is the general layout for the finished diorama.

garageplans01-vi.jpg

This gave me some general dimensions to work with when I started drawing up the actual building plans.

jacksonsgarage002-vi.jpg

First rough one.

jacksonsgarage003-vi.jpg

jacksonsgarage004-vi.jpg

These two show the final building plan.

DSCF4515-vi.jpg

I was talked into making the final plans full size. Yeah, it was a pain to do but it'll make construction of the building much easier.

DSCF4516-vi.jpg

The 'Vette is in one bay and the lift's in the other.

DSCF4517-vi.jpg

Jack's on the curb outside while Jackson is checking out his office.

It looks as though my dimensions are right on. Cool.

My plan is work on this off and on over the next year with the general plan to have it finished and on display at NNL East (Parsippany, NJ) in March of '08.

John, I also bought this kit when it came out and have been buying parts and tools for it ever since. One of these days, I'll get caught up on enough of my models and get to it. I had the same idea of adding extra bays, but I think I'll do 3 so I can get all my "stuff" in there. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Look's like your off in the right direction John with this.I take it your going to add on to the outside walls to get the right dimension you need.Also are you going to do a lot of scratch building,such as work benches,cabinets,countertop.If not ,you may want to look into purchasing stuff like that from ScaleModelingByChris he makes the best resin acc.to add to garages and gas stations,top notch stuff at a reasonable price.Check out his web site and take a look around at the dioramas he has done for customers.Awesome work he does.Good luck with the project and look forward to seeing updates on how it's coming along.

You take it right George. I've got a whole mess of stuff from SEL Ltd. and I can foresee getting some stuff from Chris.

Hi...Mr Can AM Garage....I can see you do drawings before starting the diorama , I do the same , this eliminates most of the erros and helps plan detail locations,accesories and a list of materials . The use of the architectural scale or scale grid paper like you are, helps visualize the diorama before construction. I also have the Texaco MRC model , but I have made some changes to do a Tire Center, I have been slow with this diorama, because I am doing two more at the same time, This has always been my problem...........Barbo. http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/mb4985/100_0832.jpg http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/mb4985/100_0837.jpg http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o295/mb4985/100_0842.jpg

• 3 weeks later...