Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

I'm curious if anybody here believes this new kit will supercede the original MPC kits for desirability. I'm just curious whether it is worth trying to track down a 1970 MPC body that could be cast in resin. Or has that ship already sailed? Any opinions?

Hopefully someone will post a comparison pic or two with both the MPC '70-'74 and JO-HAN '71 bodies when the Revell kit arrives at the end of the year. Even then, I honestly doubt we will have a consensus, and I don't think there will be two groups on either side, but rather two extremes and lots of grey area in between.

I'm willing to bet someone will mock up their MPC and/or JO-HAN 'cuda bodies with the Revell front valance, grille, etc. to show how well the two kits' parts will or will not work together, but there will always be some people who prefer the MPC and JO-HAN bodies, no matter what, so I think there will be a small market for them. If the resin MPC or JO-HAN body is modified to accept the Revell kit's grille, valance, etc., I think there will be some appeal for that, too.

If Round2 releases the '74 Barracuda kit/promo, that complicates things even further. :unsure:

FWIW, I think the original MPC kits will always be desirable, regardless of any new or reissued kits. I think there's a market for a aftermarket conversion which combines or allows the builder to more easily combine the new with the old, without the need to buy both kits, especially when one is in the $100+ range. A kit such as this should spur on demand for aftermarket products to be used with it, even if Revell follows it up within a year with a Sox & Martin Pro Stock version.

MPCs and Johan will always be worth more only because they are collectible. And, people like old box art.

Don't think Revell made a mistake. They will sell a whole bunch. I am guessing people will buy the Revell just to update a MPC or Johan '71-74 and make it a more accurate kit. Not a bad idea combining the Round2 '74 with a Revell.

Until the Revell new version arrives there is no right or wrong answer .

BUT, IMO there will always be a select few who want 'only' the original issue.

IF , the new variant is as nice as it appears it will be,, I think it will hurt the original to some degree,,, the Johan less than the original MPC because of the whole Johan mystery/stigma.

my personal opinion ( read want list) is the aftermkt will step up will kinds of goodies for the new revell car such as decals sheets ( hint hint)

So what options will this kit provide? Besides the 2 hoods and custom wheels.........

What kinda interior will it have (Console or no Console?) Can or will it come with parts to build a different Non-Hemi Car (meaning maybe a 727 and matching console and/or 8 3/4 instead of a Dana........)

Just wondering, pondering purchasing a 1:1 '70 Gran Coupe........If I don't buy the 1:1 I'd like to accurately build a 1:25 of it.........

What kinda interior will it have (Console or no Console?) Can or will it come with parts to build a different Non-Hemi Car (meaning maybe a 727 and matching console and/or 8 3/4 instead of a Dana........)

Post #42 has the skinny: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64756&p=789549

This one is Hemi only, with no optional trans/rear. The street machine option provides lowered suspension all around, custom grille, wheels, tires, and the Raisin Bran hood. Optional for both versions are the separately molded floor console, rocker panel moldings, and chrome plated or elastomeric bumpers (ok, painted in scale).

Post #42 has the skinny: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64756&p=789549

This one is Hemi only, with no optional trans/rear. The street machine option provides lowered suspension all around, custom grille, wheels, tires, and the Raisin Bran hood. Optional for both versions are the separately molded floor console, rocker panel moldings, and chrome plated or elastomeric bumpers (ok, painted in scale).

Thank you, searched back but didn't see #42!

Grrrrrr !

I certainly hope that Revell is not planning to wrestle with chromed lenses for any of the lights !

Well , plated lenses wouldn't be too terrible for the red portion of the tail lights ; but the back-up lights had better be clear (and "fluted") !!

Clear lenses???......Who do you think they are Tamyia???

This is headed down the same path as the Mustang LX kit review topic, so let's focus on the kit being discussed-- Revell's upcoming '70 Hemi 'cuda-- and not take this as an opportunity to personally challenge those who don't feel the body is accurate or those who feel it's just fine as it is. We've all heard the arguments on both sides many, many times, so let's stick to discussing the kit and sharing your opinions regarding the kit's parts, proportions, etc.

There's also an ad in the new.Car Craft.

I find.Revell advertising in full.size car.mags interesting..

I think that's a good sign. I've been saying for a long time that if the model manufacturers want to expand their sales base, start showing up around the 1:1s.

There will always be people who are creative and love cars, but can't afford the real thing. There will always be people who want to make replicas of their cars, and there are people who simply love cars that, for whatever reason, never gave much thought to building a model, at least recently.

I think tha'ts a very smart move on their part and heartilly endorse its replication amongst the other model companies.

Charlie Larkin

Yes, that is a great thing, ads for models in the full size car mags. There used to be one full size mag years ago that had a article every issue on model cars.

Street Rodder and Custom Rodder had regular modeling columns- in fact, the one in SR was penned by none other than Tim Boyd for the first seventeen years or so it was in the mag.

I brought up this idea a while ago (model kit makers advertising in 1:1 publications) and the general consensus was that it was too expensive for the kit manufacturers to bear. Good to see they made a way to make it work- I can't tell you how many times I've been to 1:1 car shows and the subject of models comes up... you'd be surprised how many people are shocked to find that not only are model car kits still being produced, but new subjects are still being brought out every few years. Putting this out in the view of a wider audience certainly can't be a bad deal.

I use to display Built models at Antique car shows as Part of the club.

It did not take long to start taking extra's and Cheap purchases to those shows to sell!

Some days I did ok, others Nothing.

But I did get the info Out there.

And I had a Young kid, 17-21 ask for a 64 Comet Caliente!!!

Right when Model-King was about to get that re-issued.

If I had had them, I could have had a sale right then!!

He owned the real car and wanted a replica./model!!!

I have not shown in some time as there was a big change in club officials.

Those that took over did not care for me being there. Now, I get asked back by the New officials.

Just need a better set of wheels to go!!

Almost had the Perfect vehicle, Retired Ambulance, but Church Disaster Relief group decided to keep it!!!

At the Victorian Hot Rod show in Melbourne every year there is a model display, 1/25 scale drag racing and there are always at least 2 vendors selling model car kits. One in particular has the same area in the hall every year and stacks the kit boxes up the wall to a height of about 10' and about 20' wide. This guy also sells the cheaper die casts and the stall is always crowded with punters buying both types of models.

Street Rodder and Custom Rodder had regular modeling columns- in fact, the one in SR was penned by none other than Tim Boyd for the first seventeen years or so it was in the mag.

I brought up this idea a while ago (model kit makers advertising in 1:1 publications) and the general consensus was that it was too expensive for the kit manufacturers to bear. Good to see they made a way to make it work- I can't tell you how many times I've been to 1:1 car shows and the subject of models comes up... you'd be surprised how many people are shocked to find that not only are model car kits still being produced, but new subjects are still being brought out every few years. Putting this out in the view of a wider audience certainly can't be a bad deal.

Hot Rod magazine was into car modeling in the mid to late '80s. Revell had a series of kits with the Hot Rod logo; there were full-size and scale Hot Rod decals in each kit and the magazine actually ran a photo contest in... late 1987, if I remember correctly.

I have displayed models as a club member at 1:1 car shows. Some of those in attendance were knowledgeable of our hobby, others had no qualms about picking up a built model and inquiring about the price. "Please do not touch" signs are a necessity at these events.

Hot Rod magazine was into car modeling in the mid to late '80s. Revell had a series of kits with the Hot Rod logo; there were full-size and scale Hot Rod decals in each kit and the magazine actually ran a photo contest in... late 1987, if I remember correctly.

I have displayed models as a club member at 1:1 car shows. Some of those in attendance were knowledgeable of our hobby, others had no qualms about picking up a built model and inquiring about the price. "Please do not touch" signs are a necessity at these events.

Maybe they ran it a few years. I built a Fox platform Mustang kit for it when I lived in my first apartment, that would have been 83-85.

Oh, and even then ya got some clods who either can't read or take the signs as a challenge...

You took the words out of my mouth.