Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Pro Mod Vette.......Updated 09/28/14

1320wayne

Wayne, has that chassis looks nice. I really like how you have the floor pan under the drivers side. The rear end housing is coming along nicely, and I have to say the mounts scare me because the look extremely brittle!

By the way I received the package in the mail! Thanks for the items. :)

No photo-etch is made to stand up to a lot of beating and banging but the stuff from Dirtmodelor is pretty sturdy. I am very pleased with it and I am confident that it will go together with minimal to no problems.

Bart, I'm glad you got the package. Hopefully you can put the parts to good use on future projects.

No photo-etch is made to stand up to a lot of beating and banging but the stuff from Dirtmodelor is pretty sturdy. I am very pleased with it and I am confident that it will go together with minimal to no problems.

Bart, I'm glad you got the package. Hopefully you can put the parts to good use on future projects.

Sorry for the confusion I was referring to the mounts on that fabricated 9"rear end. :) I agree with you though the dirtmodeller stuff should be sturdy enough.

awsome build wayne, what size rod and tubing are you using for the chassis??

I use a few different sizes and types throughout the chassis. The three most common are Evergreen #212, .080 rod, #213, .100 rod and #223, 3/32" tube.

Here are a few more small updates.

The chassis has paint along with the seat. I still have to add the padding to the seat before it's ready for belts and final installation. At the same time I am working more on the Lenco, which will be installed next now that the chassis is painted.

DSC00505-vi.jpg

DSC00506-vi.jpg

DSC00507-vi.jpg

DSC00508-vi.jpg

Wayne...I gotta ask...how the devil do you determine the build of the chassis and where everything goes? I searched this thread and couldn't find anything that said you were using any plans or the like. So can I assume that you are simply building the chassis from photos of other Pro Mods and simply adjusting the dimensions to fit the body you're using? I find this whole scratchbuilding of these Pro Stock, Pro Mod and other specialized chassis like you and John Teresi and a few others build like some kind of a black art or something. Just amazing....

Terry, I do have a complete set of generic chassis plans that Chris from Top End Minitures created a few years back but I seldom ever use them. It's good just to see where basic bars should be but as you hinted at each body will have it's own unique needs and fit issues. I do use a lot of real photos of cars with up close shots of different sections of the chassis for reference which helps a great deal. It's not a perfect science either because after the build is complete there's a lot of sections of the chassis that won't be seen. And I am by no means a master at this as this is really only the third homemade chassis that I have done and just like everything else in model building you learn from your mistakes and try to make things better on the next build. Thanks for looking in.

Having not built any of these chassis either, it does seem to be a black art to me as well Terry. I love the fact that all of this is scratch-built and is unique to each body style for fit and placement. Makes it all that much more interesting and jaw-dropping. Nice work Wayne.

Rear end and wheelie bars are pretty much done. I added and painted the brake lines along with the wheelie bars. The small nuts and bolts are not the easiest thing to work with but look good when complete. I still need to add the wheels to the wheelie bars but those can be added later. The next step now is to build some rear shocks/springs and get the rear differential attached to the chassis.

DSC00518-vi.jpg

DSC00519-vi.jpg

Looks good Wayne, those are Chris's wheelie-bars right?

Yeah, one off creations that were going to be cast but determined to be too fragile. Just getting to where I'm at I had numerous areas come apart that had to be repaired.

Impressive Wayne...Are you going to have this one finished by the Orlando IPMS show? BTW...Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Yeah, I hope to have it done in time but I'm not going to rush any part of it to make it happen.

Yeah, I was hoping that they could have been made,Chris had alot of great stuff, just wish I could have found TEM sooner & bought bunches of the stuff, right now I have a couple of the Kelbelco Blowers, Nitrous Fuel Cells, some 3&4 Speed Trannies, Clutch Cans & a couple of Nitous Bottles, had ordered the Firebird body & 1 of the Hood Scoops, but it was to late, never got them. Anyway, the wheelie bars look great!

I just bought a body similar to this one, cast by a guy up north in Sweden, Rickard Hedlund. He makes some nice resin parts under RickArt.... I had thought I could use the Revell Pro Sportsman chassis with his new body, but seeing your project, I guess I have to try or look elsewhere....

Edited by Modellpularn

I just bought a body similar to this one, cast by a guy up north in Sweden, Rickard Hedlund. He makes some nice resin parts under RickArt.... I had thought I could use the Revell Pro Sportsman chassis with his new body, but seeing your project, I guess I have to try or look elsewhere....

You should be able to use the Revell chassis setup with Rickard's body design. You just may have to make some small adjustments to get everything to fit properly. You don't always have to go the scratchbuilt chassis route if you don't want to.