Model Cars Magazine Forum

'86 Iaconio Motorcraft/Budweiser P/S build

MitchP

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this. You're right about the wires at the mag. I figured out another way too. RB Motion sells for a modest price, both the insulators for the mag and the spark plug end, with the plug end having straight or 90 deg angles.

The mag/distributor on this T-Bird came from M.A.D., which has a nice collection of various detailing items from wheels to electrical components. Their mag kits even include a twin kit and mounting plate for dual plug per cylinder Hemi's. I used this on my new "Frankenstein" build in WIP. M.A.D. includes alum cored hard rubber wire so when you peel back a small portion of the shield and pull the core out, you have a hollow sheath you can cut to any length. I used those for the Frankenstein build (imagine eyeballing tiny insulation pieces on both ends of 16 plug wires). It was nuts. Then I had to bend the plug ends of each wire in a crimp so the insulation wouldn't slide off while doing another. Not to mention getting the firing order right for 2 mags and drilling 16 plug holes with a dremel!

Like I said, never again with the M.A.D. insulation. It's RB or Protech from now on! Good hearing from you!

Hey Mitch, the car is coming along really nicely. That actual 1:1 car is still "alive" and was run as a Super Gas car until last season.

This is it with a re-body from about 8 years ago. It had a B1 Mopar for power at the time. Before that it had a big block Chevy. I believe the car now resides in Connecticut and is destined to get another bb chevy.

WFB1Bird-vi.jpg

Edited by 6bblbird

6bblbird: is that as in the six-pack option on the 'Cuda's, Challengers and perhaps some Road Runners? I had a '68 440 4sp R/R back in my H.S. days. Got it for $250 from my brother in law in the mid-70's era 'cause he'd yanked off the A/C unit and ran it off the battery for grins in his back yard. Pretty ignorant, huh? I cleaned it up, put 4:11 gears in the rear, sanded out the rusted Cragars and reshot the spokes with wrinkle hot valve cover paint. Everybody wanted to buy the wheels & tires off of it! It needed new valve seals bad as it smoked like a pig.

I'm new to modeling (about a year total) and I've just gotten real lucky learning the detailing from folks like Brett, Clay, Scott from Futurattractions. I'll attach some pics I took last night as the painting is done and I'm trying to decide whether to clear or not. I tried to clear it once already with Testors spray clear and it splotched up on the roof and driver's side door. I don't want to fix that kind of mess again.

I did a test fit once already when the first coat was dry and it looked awesome. There's a small fitment problem with the hood due to the carb line detailing and I need to do a little sanding and reshoot the underside in flat black, which is no big deal.

I chickened out on the split color paint job as I've tried it with junk bodies and can't get a clean color split, no matter how carefully I tape it with the thin Tamiya tape. You'll see from the attached pics it turned out almost strawberry red metalflake. I've got custom decals from Firebird Designs which say Billy "The Kid" Glidden for each side of the car and a crew sticker for the back with myself, my wife and son as crew. Since the kit was so old and the original decals not sealed, I suspect they won't be in the best of shape so I'm prepared with a lot of extra SLIXX decals to replicate what I can.

Pls comment and critique. If you can recommend a decal solvent and/or setting solution, please do and if you've had good luck with any particular clear coat, let me know otherwise it's gonna stay as it is.

Thanks.

post-12210-0-42602000-1399386446_thumb.j

post-12210-0-58134000-1399386514_thumb.j

post-12210-0-66978100-1399386547_thumb.j

post-12210-0-89308300-1399386587_thumb.j

6bblbird: is that as in the six-pack option on the 'Cuda's, Challengers and perhaps some Road Runners? I had a '68 440 4sp R/R back in my H.S. days. Got it for $250 from my brother in law in the mid-70's era 'cause he'd yanked off the A/C unit and ran it off the battery for grins in his back yard. Pretty ignorant, huh? I cleaned it up, put 4:11 gears in the rear, sanded out the rusted Cragars and reshot the spokes with wrinkle hot valve cover paint. Everybody wanted to buy the wheels & tires off of it! It needed new valve seals bad as it smoked like a pig.

6bbl as in three, 2 barrel carbs, as in A12 car? Yes, 6bblbird is my screen name and my car.

HardLaunchatMapleGro2AD62F-vi.jpg

WF

P.S. I added the photo of the T Bird in my earlier post.

Edited by 6bblbird

Yeah man, jumpin Coke cans and twisting those traction bars! I had a single 4bbl and everything else was stock (except the shifter). I had the same orange paint job, Twin flat black stripes and those wedge hood bumps. Also had the little turn signal indicators on the fender ends.

One of the DRU tapes had a couple of promods that toured together, out of Canada I believe. One was a early Beratta and the other was rumored to be an old Glidden prostock T-bird. Very nice paint on that T-bird up above but my paint are skills are still in the learning stage. I know I'm getting old and my memory is losing it, but Walter Frey rings a serious bell. Anything to do with E-Town or Brett Kepner?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're watching "Drag Racing Underground"!...

I'm friended with Brett on Facebook and his picture is him with a couple of big, floppy eared bunny rabbits. They're his pets and it's a great pic!

Well, I've got pics of the body with custom decals, although not all the sponsor decals are on yet. These were made by Firebird Designs after some input from me.

I don't take very good pics, but hope these give you an idea of the assembled build!

post-12210-0-61042400-1401197708_thumb.j

post-12210-0-53882800-1401197809_thumb.j

post-12210-0-52217300-1401197966_thumb.j