Model Cars Magazine Forum

Use primer on everything in the kit?

I am returning to the hobby after a 25+ year hiatus.

This Mustang build in 1:16 will be the first car that I've ever used primer on the body.

FWIW, I am an out of the box builder, using rattle cans and mostly Testor's bottles.

Should I go ahead and primer all the parts before painting them? It seems that a light coat of primer would add depth and a tad bit of realism to the engine and interior after it is primed and painted.

Sorry for asking such a dumb question....just trying to make my build a little better.

Thanks in advance!!!

I always prime everything after I clean up the parts. It helps you get a uniform color coat if you've added putty or if the parts were an odd color. I like to use Duplicolor automotive paint in spray cans. So I use their primer gray on everything. I've had much better success with the auto paints than Testors.

I think it's a personal preference. I agree with Tom that it gives you an even color over parts that have different colored surfaces (like a body that has putty or Bondo work. In a case like that, priming is pretty much a given). And almost everyone primes the body. But I don't see any need to prime most smaller parts, like engine and interior pieces. I just don't see the point in doing that, especially on small parts like carbs and alternators or pedals and things like that, which I always brush paint. No need to waste expensive spray paint spraying tiny pieces and losing 95% of the paint to overspray! I never prime stuff like that, and I think my models look alright!

But it's a personal thing. No right or wrong answer.

I primer every single part on a model. It does make a difference! Especially when it comes time to paint. It keeps gloss paints from from wicking away from sharp edges and pooling in other areas. You will also get much better coverage from your paint. I won't paint anything without primer.

I'll add to the consensus. I prime everything except clear parts (duh!). I use Tamiya primer on bodies and inexpensive Colorplace primer on other parts. The Colorplace primer goes on in a very light, thin coat, which is ideal in my opinion for all those little parts. It won't cover up any details and dries very quickly. Just a quick spray is all you need.