Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testor's Dull Coat: Okay for Enamels and Acrylics?

I'm returning to the hobby after a 25 year hiatus. I am hoping to build a rusty junker.

I picked up a can of Testor's Dull Coat today. I didn't know that dull coat was a lacquer product.

Will this Dull Coat be okay to spray over acrylics and enamels?

Thank you for your helpfulness!!!

It's OK for everything! It is a lacquer, but it's a very mild lacquer. Stuff's been around at least 40 years, and I've personally never had a bad reaction or heard of one. Worst thing that ever happened to me with it is sometimes you get a can that isn't all that flat.

It's OK for everything! It is a lacquer, but it's a very mild lacquer. Stuff's been around at least 40 years, and I've personally never had a bad reaction or heard of one. Worst thing that ever happened to me with it is sometimes you get a can that isn't all that flat.

I just want to add one thing , apply it in mist coats, after a couple of mist coats you can do a wetter coat and will be good to go

I also agree. Testors Dullcote is my favorite color! I use it on most of my builds. I use to to seal in weathering chalks and other weathering and rust type activities. If you want to leave a primer color as your final color, Dullcote is a good sealer so it won't get dirt into the surface.