Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dub's Little Deuce

dub

Here is my latest on the bench. I wound up with two built up Monogram Little Deuces after the Feb club meeting. I also bought a couple new kits and when I got home I was checking them out and one of them was the Revell/Monogram Basic Builder 32 roadster. Yaaay.... I have THREE of them now... :D Well, I figured I'd make some lemonade. ;)

I wasn't too happy with the frame and fenders being a whole unit so I had to do some thing about that....

IMG_1042.jpg

Once the fenders were gone, the frame was really thin in a few places. Of course, Had to clean that up too...

IMG_1044.jpg

Since I'm starting with a recent issue kit and I'm using an older issue engine, I had to redo the engine mount configuration...

IMG_1047.jpg

The reason all this madness started was this mill, as found, with the 73 issue builtup:

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

I'm only going to wire it up and blackwash it. No need to mess up a good find.

More to come.

Thanks guys! I figured this kit didn't get built too much as a fenderless rod so......

I'm actually starting with a new kit and using the builtups for donors. I may build something with the leftovers or I may donate them to the monthly raffle. As for the gentleman's name I bought them from.... I didn't catch it. He is a regular at the meetings, and he usually has around a dozen with him. I've bought a few from him in the past too.

Next up, the interior needs to be sectioned for the channel job I'm doing on this one.

First I cut the floor out:

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

Then, take out the section:

IMG_1094.jpg

Back together again:

IMG_1095.jpg

..... and the mockup:

IMG_1098.jpg

I'm using the firewall from the 73 issue too. The pleats go with the mid-sixties theme I'm doing on this one.

....how about pix of what you started with?

I'll see what I can do when I get home. I'm using as many new parts as possible, with the old engine, firewall, hood, and who knows what else yet. Thanks for the interest!

Raul, I used the back of a #11 X-acto blade for the cutting.... Maybe I need to use a newer blade???? I noticed this black styrene doesn't act the same as white does. Maybe that's why..... :huh:

As for tools, I've probably spent the most of my investment in the hobby so far on them! I can't seem to get anything done unless I have a good tool for it! ;);)

....and I'm the colorblind one. ;)

Well, you are dealing with Nick here...so do what I do...take a deep breath and continue on. ;)

By the way, this project is shaping up nicely. I'm liking it, especially with the chrome steelies and the way they contrast with that Volkswagen BLUE you picked.

Yeah I know, Dan. Nick is a "special" case, requiring special treatment! :blink:

Anywho.... I scraped together a pic of the starting "pile":

IMG_1236.jpg

And I did the first round of embossing powder next:

IMG_1109.jpg

(still needs another layer...)

Here's another mockup with more suspension installed:

IMG_1110.jpg

It's going to get the frame painted next and the body polished as well. Thanks again everybody for looking and commenting! :)

Edited by dub

Thanks Bill! I can't wait to see what you do with a hot rod of any flavor! ;) ;) I'm sure you'll teach us rod builders all something new. :lol:

I managed to get more done since last time.

I got the dash done and installed:

IMG_1168.jpg

I also finished the grille:

IMG_1199.jpg

edit: I almost forgot the front tire upgrade.... These are from the yellow car. Much better than the new ones.

Can't forget the fuel lines!

IMG_1201.jpg

You can actually see the holes drilled for the wires. I get to wrestle them next.

Thanks again, everybody for following along. ;)

Edited by dub

OK, just about finished with this one.

I finished wiring and plumbing the motor and also buttoned up the rest of the interior:

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

I also managed to get the lights hung too:

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Next pics will be Under Glass!

Thanks to all for following along!

:o