Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Chair Recommendations

Alvin

It depends on your work area: an office chair is usually the way to go, and you get what you pay for. If you want it to last for more than a couple of years, the mostly plastic WalMart specials are probably something to avoid.

If you're in a metro area and have a used office equipment store you might snag a bargain as well. Metal bases are more durable and with a gas cylinder lift (push or pull the lever and stand up and the seat comes up to the top) are very comfy and adjustable for your height/weight and not too expensive. If you are "test driving" sit in the chair and wiggle back and forth and side to side to see if you sink: If so the gas cylinder is worn and it isn't worth going any further. Arm rests are an option and usually cost a little more, and can interfere with getting you under the bench if you need to sit closely. With my gut this isn't much of a consideration. :lol:

I have had good luck with Hon brand office furniture, but they can be a little more expensive than some. Or you could go nuts and sink several hundred to a couple of thousand into something exotic!

Good luck on the search, your backside will thank you!

I have used an office chair for a long time know and it's been great. However, my only complaint is, at least for my setup, it doesn't go high enough. So next time around I will do a drafting chair, which is very similar to a standard office chair just taller.

I've got a kind of unique work area. It is in a second bedroom of a townhouse. Also used as a den/office. My desk, PC, etc.. is 29" high. I have added a 6' work table against one wall, also 29" high. Just put together a 30" high roll around kitchen cart to support my newly ordered paint booth, which will be stored in the closet when not in use. I use a standard 5 leg office chair on rollers. Lets me slide around at will on my laminate floor. Just a thought, get a lumbar back support for your chair, whatever type that you choose. Lets you spend a lot of time in the chair without the "whoops" when you stand up. ;)

Get an Herman Miller Aeron chair:

http://www.dwr.com/product/aeron-chair-siz...mbar-support.do

I know, HOW MUCH!!!!!!

Heh, they are worth it!

Just sell your model collection, don't pay taxes for a year, and eat saimin for the next six months, and you can get one yourself!!!!!!

Seriously, look on your local Craigslist and you can find some great deals on chairs.

Check often, stuff usually sells between noon and 3:00 p.m. more often than not.

If you sell, post at that time.

It's not rocket surgery, but I try my bustest

M808:

"Whoops" when you stand up. Is that like a fart?

I know, HOW MUCH!!!!!!

Heh, they are worth it!

Just sell your model collection, don't pay taxes for a year, and eat saimin for the next six months, and you can get one yourself!!!!!!

Seriously, look on your local Craigslist and you can find some great deals on chairs.

Check often, stuff usually sells between noon and 3:00 p.m. more often than not.

M808:

That one is 800 big ones over what I would spend. But thanks, looks like a cocept chair.

I know, HOW MUCH!!!!!!

Heh, they are worth it!

M808:

Nope Gregg, and there you go, talking nasty again. It's just that when you spend a few hours in your chair, doing a little work on line, adding something to your latest build, and checking out some stuf on the forums, you don't realize how much time you have spent in about the same position in your chair. Then you try to stand up and realize that you are kind of "locked" into place. A lumbar support helps take the strain off. ;)

Your back problems come from the typical hunched over posture that modeling typically exhibits. A soft seat does help with the circulation to the posterior and legs.

You really need to get up every 15 to 20 min and do extension excercises to counteract the constant flexed position.

Dwayne PT

I know, HOW MUCH!!!!!!

Heh, they are worth it!

M808:

So thats how much those chairs are, my old shop had alot of those, good thing to know the budget was well spent.

Maybe this will explain my position:

Do you carry that x-ray with you when you go through the airport????

I use an office chair from Staples office supply. It cost about $70 and has the lift mechanism and adjustable back support. I put in many hours on it, as it also serves my computer desk. It has vastly outlasted its predecessor, which was one of the old-school Craig brand heavy steel industrial type chairs...and it is vastly more comfortable.