Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Classics

imatt88

Does anybody know what color the engine in MPC's 1932 Chrysler Imperial Convertible Sedan should be?

Scott

Chrysler's engine color for decades was silver, as in "aluminum paint" silver (Testors #1246 Silver in the spray can is as close as close gets!), with a red cylinder head.

Art

I have watched this posting with interest. Over the years I have built all of the models discussed here. I would be curious which one people think is the best overall. Personally I really like the Monogram '31 Packard Phaeton in metal. It is a model I could build over and over. As for non-Monogram models it is pretty hard to beat Johan's lineup. I have struggled mightily to do a good job with the Cadillac Fleetwood Town Car's pinstriped body but have never come up with an acceptable way to approach that one.

A question was presented earlier about the Rolston Roadster and if it is a model of a real car. The answer is "sort of." Terry Adderly of Troy Michigan used to own J-550 (he still might. I just don't know), which was the only Rolston Roadster mounted on the long wheelbase Duesenberg J chassis. It is a beautiful car and Monogram did a pretty good job on it...except, they, like they did on all the other Duesenberg models, left it as a supercharged car. In order to have a correct version of J-550 you would need to either close up the holes in the fender and scratch build hood sides and manifolds or get ahold of Andy Martin at Aardvark models where you can get ahold of a transkit for such purposes. Truth of the matter is except the Torpedo Phaeton, almost all of the Monogram Duesenbergs would benefit from such a transformation.

One other comment. S. Jordan, I have spent a fair amount of time admiring your work on the 540 K Coupe. All I can say is WOW!

Eric

Eric, for starters  JoHan kitted the '31 Cadillac Fleetwood Town Car, which has canework appliqued to the lower body panels in the rear half of the body.   I'm still trying to figure out the best way to replicate that canework, which as applied over panels painted in the same deep red as the rest of the lower body!

Art

I have the same kit ( amongest several other pre-war classic kits )

Ive done this search before myself  And have found conflicting info .

BUT, this Looks to be an unrestored engine.

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/content/dam/images/1/l/y/i/3/image.gallery.articleLeadwide.620x349.1lyhg.png/1318985911917.jpg

the article itself

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/diamonds-gem-still-sparkles-80-years-on-1lym6

Edited by gtx6970

Does anybody know what color the engine in MPC's 1932 Chrysler Imperial Convertible Sedan should be?

Scott

It's kind of a bluish green, and the cylinder head was either grey, or red.  Also, unlike other luxury makes of the time, the frame and running gear was not painted to match the body, but was painted semigloss black

http://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/96092/96092_Engine_Web.jpg

The Online Imperial club is a gold mine for reference pics http://www.imperialclub.com/index.htm

Edited by Richard Bartrop

I want to build more of these.......great kits that NEVER sold well per those in the know at Monogram....

I've heard/read they are very good kits, too, but perhaps, like me, most people just don't find the subject matter appealing. The Cord is about the only kit which piques my interest, and the box art may be mostly to blame for that. ^_^

6a_44d5373a-2b84-4b3e-9b30-563ec889c341_

I've heard/read they are very good kits, too, but perhaps, like me, most people just don't find the subject matter appealing. The Cord is about the only kit which piques my interest, and the box art may be mostly to blame for that. ^_^

I think it is more than the box art  - that car was way ahead of its time and had very pleasing contours.   Auburn Boattail Speedster (from the same time period) is also a a very nice looking automobile.

Edited by peteski

I have one version of all the original kits originally released, and so far have only built the Mercedes Cabriolet. This makes a lovely model, even if it is inaccurate. If I ever get my hobby room completed, I will finish all these classics. They are well executed and beautiful models when finished. Its hard to believe they were designed 50 years ago.

Here's mine:

In my opinion, Pyro kits were just unassembled toys really, aimed at the "gotta build it now" market at the drugstore. Monogram kits, however moved past that bar very quickly, and started being actual miniatures of the item they portrayed. The 1930's Classics were the very best that could be done at the time, pushing the limits of tooling technology. Even today it is obvious that much care and time were lavished on the kits in this series. They were (and still are) top notch kits. Sad that they never have received their due. Terry Jesse did a story on all available Antique & Classic car kits in one of the Model Mags about 15-20 years ago, that is notable for it's length and thoroughness. It is well worth finding if you like these kinds of kits.

6a_44d5373a-2b84-4b3e-9b30-563ec889c341_

These are a lovely kit. And a beautiful car. Mine is going to be dark blue with tan interior and top.

Charlie Larkin

I have a Dual-Cowl Pheaton Duesy to restore and a later re-issue to build

I also built the Rolls Royce Cabriolet that sadly met the Sun a little too close

and have another of the Series to build

Would I buy more

YES IF I had the money to let me

I Love those Classics

I also have a few of the Hubley Diecast kits of the classics of that Vintage

2 of the 3 Packards,All 3 of the 32 Chevies I know of

and 2 of the Model A Fords Roadster & Woody

I was blessed to have a father who was not only into 1/1 cars but models as well. He loved classic cars and I have inherited multiples of most of the classic cars from Monogram, Johan, MPC and others, including Hubley kits. When I grew up he'd be working on those while I was building the latest Tom Daniel whatever. As I matured I grew to appreciate those kits as much as he did and am so glad I have them now. I still would love to see some of them reissued, especially the Monogram Bugatti 35B.

Edited by Phirewriter

Nice thing is, if you have model shows in range, these sell for nothing. $15 common, 5-10 if you buy multiples. 

I love these things, and AAM cast some great bodies mastered by Lee Baker for Duesies and Cords I was fortunate to buy new. Cord Beverly 4 door, Sportsman Roadster, and 5 diff Duesies. 

The MPC's are really nice too, as are Johans. The Imperial CG is gorgeous built. Lindberg SSK and Royale are the best cars they ever did, and Italeri does nice stuff that's cheap in Testors boxing. The MPC Stutz is nice, more scarce. Hellers are fiddly, but nice. Their 500K Special Roadster is the best out there, I stuffed a Monogram chassis under mine as it's less fiddly and has more strength. 

These are about the only kits I have lots of dupes. Fun to build 

PS Dave, great build of a sow's ear. Makes me want to get one and bash it with a 48 Ford Custom, fadeaways, Carson, and swap rear deck. Caddy or Olds grille, and Packard tails.  

Edited by keyser